Windows 10: Public Wi-Fi Network Issues

Discus and support Public Wi-Fi Network Issues in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I have a windows 10 laptop which I upgraded from windows 7. To use my laptop at school I connect to the public Wi-Fi. This works for about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by BlueHunter99, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Public Wi-Fi Network Issues

Hello,

I have a windows 10 laptop which I upgraded from windows 7.

To use my laptop at school I connect to the public Wi-Fi. This works for about 10 minutes after I first start up the laptop. Then it disconnects.

When I try to reconnect, the wifi connection box pops down and the icons seem to show the wifi card turning off and restarting. Eventually a message pops up below the network which says it cannot connect.

The problem is usually fixed by putting the laptop to sleep or restarting. The problem is not experienced when connected to any non-public network.

I've tried 2 driver versions, both give the same result.

I've tried a fresh install of windows 10, still have the same result.

I've tried turning off the firewall and antivirus, still have the same result.

I have also tried the troubleshooter and resetting the network etc from the network troubleshooting guide.

The laptop is an Asus K55VD.

Any suggestions?

:)

BlueHunter99, Sep 13, 2018

2. Trouble Changing Wi-Fi Password

I've been following the following steps to change my Wi-Fi password for some time:

1. Launch Control Panel.
    2. Click "Network and Internet."
    3. Click "Network and Sharing Center."
    4. Click "Wi-Fi...."
    5. Click "Wireless Properties."
    6. Click the Security tab.
    7. Check "Show characters."
    8. Enter the password in "Network security key."
    Those steps have been working just fine, but today I discovered a new wrinkle. If I change the password inside the router first, "Wi-Fi..." doesn't appear in step 4. This isn't much of a problem at home, because I can just change the password in Control Panel before I change it inside the router, but it would be a problem at a public hotspot, or something of that nature. I also tested Brink's instructions in "How to Connect To a Wireless Network in Windows 10," but they don't work for me either. How can I fix this?

gregyurkon, Sep 13, 2018
  3. Chino Win User
    Wi-Fi Agile Multiband Certification to Enable Intelligent Wireless Networks

Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Agile Multiband is a new certification program from Wi-Fi Alliance that enables devices to utilize Wi-Fi network resources better, and networks to adapt and balance load as network conditions change. Wi-Fi Agile Multiband devices dynamically exchange information about a network environment, enabling devices to make smarter decisions and quicker connections in home, enterprise, and managed network environments. Wi-Fi Agile Multiband delivers new capabilities that provide a better experience with both static use cases, such as streaming a high-definition movie, and mobile use cases such as Wi-Fi calling.

Public Wi-Fi Network Issues X2BRYuDg0djRiot2_thm.jpg

Based on global standards, such as IEEE 802.11 k, v, u, r, and Wi-Fi Alliance defined technologies, Wi-Fi Agile Multiband brings a standardized approach to efficient Wi-Fi network resource management that also ensures interoperability across device vendors. Key benefits of Wi-Fi Agile Multiband include:
    • Dynamic monitoring (i.e. exchanging network information): Constant, parallel network information exchange about the Wi-Fi radio environment enables client devices to evaluate the best access point (AP), band, or channel connection, avoiding issues with devices that stick to a particular AP longer than appropriate
    • Intelligent steering (i.e. making informed network loading): Mechanisms allow APs to intelligently guide clients to less congested or recommended APs, frequency bands, and channels to balance network traffic and meet other management needs
    • Fast network transitions (i.e. authenticating quicker): Faster, secure roaming while traversing a network delivers improved mobility and better experiences with latency-sensitive applications such as voice-over Wi-Fi and mobile video streaming
    "Today's Wi-Fi delivers connectivity to services and content for many devices in different environments," said Edgar Figueroa, president and CEO of Wi-Fi Alliance. "Wi-Fi Agile Multiband brings new capabilities that increase network and device performance and ultimately provide a better Wi-Fi user experience."

The first Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Agile Multiband products which comprise the test bed for interoperability certification are:
    • Broadcom BCM4361 11ac STA Reference Design
    • Intel Home Wi-Fi Chipset-based 802.11ac 4-stream Concurrent Dual Band Router
    • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265
    • Marvell 802.11ac Wave2 Wi-Fi Test Bed Evaluation Kit
    • MediaTek MT7621A+MT7615 802.11abgn/ac Ref. AP
    • Ruckus R710 Access Point
    • Ruckus ZoneDirector 1200 Controller
    • Qualcomm mobile Wi-Fi AC2 chipset
    For more information, including a technology overview and technology highlights, please visit: Wi-Fi Agile Multiband | Wi-Fi Alliance

Chino, Sep 13, 2018
  4. johnny234 Win User

Public Wi-Fi Network Issues

Windows 10 stop automatically connecting to random new wi-fi networks

Hi,

I have searched a lot, but all the tutorials I found only explained how to not connect automatically to a known wi-fi network or how to disable wi-fi sense... but this is not what I am looking for...

PROBLEM:

• When my laptop (Windows 10 Pro X64) is not connected to a network and the wireless adapter is on, it will automatically connect to any random new unsecured wi-fi network... The only way I have now to avoid this is to disable my wi-fi adapter.

UNUSEFUL TUTORIALS I FOUND ON THE INTERNET:

• How to manually uncheck the option for a particular wi-fi network not to connect automatically in Network Properties. This is not what I am looking for. This would suggest that everytime I power my computer. I would have to manually go through all the available wi-fi networks and unclick them all...
    • How to disable Wi-Fi Sense. This is not useful, because I don't even have a Wi-Fi sense option in my computer where the tutorials say it should be.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOR:

• I am looking for an option to tell my computer to stop connecting randomly to unknown wi-fi networks like an hyperactive, reckless idiot.

PERSONAL COMMENT:

• Honestly, why would any respectable company think that it could be somewhat wise or secure to do this... Anyone's computer could just randomly connect to any hacker's wi-fi network without the user even knowing it...

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

johnny234, Sep 13, 2018
Thema:

Public Wi-Fi Network Issues

1. Public Wi-Fi Network Issues - Similar Threads - Public Network Issues

2. Network-Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network-Wi-Fi: I need help with my asus gaming laptop a friend of mine gave it too me and he was able to use it just perfectly fine and run games and look things up but since I got it I can connect to the Wi-Fi but I can’t not look up anything on the browser and I don’t know what to do at...
  3. Network-Wi-Fi

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network-Wi-Fi: I need help with my asus gaming laptop a friend of mine gave it too me and he was able to use it just perfectly fine and run games and look things up but since I got it I can connect to the Wi-Fi but I can’t not look up anything on the browser and I don’t know what to do at...
  4. Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues: Hello, I have a Dell Vostro 3558, Windows 10, and for several months now I've been having a problem with my Wi-Fi network adapter which prevents me to connect to the Internet. It wasn't so bad at first I would just shut down and boot pc again then the Wi-Fi would work but now...
  5. Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues: Hello, I have a Dell Vostro 3558, Windows 10, and for several months now I've been having a problem with my Wi-Fi network adapter which prevents me to connect to the Internet. It wasn't so bad at first I would just shut down and boot pc again then the Wi-Fi would work but now...
  6. Wi-Fi network adapter and Wi-Fi issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Wi-Fi Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wi-Fi Issues: Hello I just purchased a laptop with windows 11And after installing it I went to schoolI started having a problem with trying to connect to their Wi-FiIt tells me “action needed” but no website pops upSo i can’t sign into my computer because I need Wi-Fi to do that, and I...
  8. Wi-Fi issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wi-Fi issue: I recently upgraded my PC from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro. I've been using ethernet cable to connect to the Internet for 2 months, and all was well. Two days ago I switched to Wi-Fi using a USB Realtek dongle, which I've used for years with Win 7 and with Linux without a problem....
  9. Windows10 home blocks wi-fi on public network

Windows10 home blocks wi-fi on public network: Windows10 home blocks wi-fi on public network. For example in the library or school. At home all works ok. Public network Windows10 home blocks wi-fi on public Windows10 home blocks wi-fi. But at home all works OK. It gets redirected saying, its older and unsafe. Doesn't...
  10. Wi Fi Issues

Wi Fi Issues: Hi, I have just installed a new Lap Top It works just fine along with my I pad and I phone on the wif fi system just as my old lap top did . But .......when I connect the lap top to the internet through the wi fi I lose the wi fi connection to the I pad . and when I...