Windows 10: Pull hard drive from dell and put in acer, both win 10 pro upgrade from win 7 upgraded from

Discus and support Pull hard drive from dell and put in acer, both win 10 pro upgrade from win 7 upgraded from in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Two desk tops both win 10 pro, both upgraded from OEM Win 7 pro. I have an old Acer (Aspire M5100) (hard drive repeated failures already tried... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Cos_, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Cos_ Win User

Pull hard drive from dell and put in acer, both win 10 pro upgrade from win 7 upgraded from

Hi

Two desk tops both win 10 pro, both upgraded from OEM Win 7 pro.

I have an old Acer (Aspire M5100) (hard drive repeated failures already tried clean re-install.

I have an old Dell (E521) (originally XP), hard drive seems to be fine, perhaps slow. Dell PC is incredibly slow, slow processor for sure.

1. Can I pull the hard drive from the Dell and replace the hard drive in Acer with it?

I have a new win 10 ISO disc I just made, it appears to clean install on Acer which has so far automatically re-activated (code tied to processor?).

Please provide steps.

2. Also, can I use the memory in Dell to add to Acer memory?

Memory slots in dell full (I added years ago, helped maybe a little). Not sure what is in Acer currently with 4 MB, might be open slots.

Please provide steps and risks. Not interested in any third part SW or downloads.

Thanks!

:)

2. n2bn2b Win User

Recommend hardware changes for upgrading from Win-7 to Win-10

Bree
    I followed your suggestions (2nd Aug 19) for installing Win-10. Made the bootable flash drive successfully through the media creation tool. But when I attempted to upgrade and activate to Win-10 (64 bit) from within Win-7 (Pro-32 bit), I got the following error message:

Error # OxC1900101-Ox20017. " The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation"

I read the diagnostics under this error number and carried out the proposed fixes, i.e. update Win-7, uninstall Malwarebyte antivirus, disconnect all external hardware, e.g. printer, scanner, external hard drives. I then tried to repeat the steps to do the upgrade through the Win-10 bootable flash drive as before. Got the same error message.
    Appreciate any further comments and suggestions as to (a) what does a failure in the SAFE_OS during boot operation mean, (b) what can I do to solve it. Is this anything to do with the hardware in my computer? I listed these in my first posting above.
    Thanks for any help

n2bn2b, Nov 10, 2019
  3. Win 10 Pro upgrade from Win 7 Pro system.

I bought a Win 10 Pro package from Newegg.com, to upgrade my Win 7 Pro system to Win 10 Pro. On the package, after "If you open this package:". item 1. states "The software is intended for preinstallation on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer
    system, using the OEM pre-installation tools." Item 2. states "You are responsible for providing end-user support."

I interpret this to mean it is not an upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro version, and will not have MS support and updates available. True or false?

If true, what do I need to upgrade my system to Win 10 pro?

TIA ... viking

Aggrevated In AZ, Nov 10, 2019
  4. LeeBerge Win User

Pull hard drive from dell and put in acer, both win 10 pro upgrade from win 7 upgraded from

Upgrading Win 7 Pro to Win 10

Hi Once Again

I just finished performing the steps you suggested I do in your last email to upgrade from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. I eliminated all of the temporary files and then performed a check disk on my hard drive; no errors or bad sectors were found. After doing those
    steps, Win10 failed to install again so then I went back and performed all of your suggest procedures from the past several emails all at once....disconnecting all of my external devices, doing the system file check, and then deleting all of the temporary
    files following by the check disk routine. Once again the Win10 download failed to install.

This is what happened when I tried the upgrade: I began the download from the Microsoft flag download icon in my bottom toolbar rather than using the Media Creation tool program applet that had tried several times before to upgrade windows.. The download
    preceded normally and then the computer went into the installation process. The preparing for upgrade splash panel came up and then the desktop showed configuring update for Windows 10 appeared. The upgrade got to 87% complete once again and then my computer
    went into the reboot mode. The computer rebooted back into Win 7. The Windows update panel appeared with a panel that said "upgrade to Win10....start installing the newest versions of windows". I did not get a Win 10 failed to install as I did when using the
    Media Creation tool.

As I said, the reboot took me right back into my normal Windows 7 screen which worked normally.

That's all the information I have this time around.

Lee

LeeBerge, Nov 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Pull hard drive from dell and put in acer, both win 10 pro upgrade from win 7 upgraded from - Similar Threads - Pull hard drive

2. Upgrading from Win 7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Win 7: Hello. I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 or 11. I get to the download tool and when I try to open it, I get an error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win-7/33a030e5-ec18-4d25-8168-f0f73e62b8e3
  3. Upgrading from Win 7

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading from Win 7: Hello. I am trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 or 11. I get to the download tool and when I try to open it, I get an error code. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-from-win-7/33a030e5-ec18-4d25-8168-f0f73e62b8e3
  4. Upgrading from Win 7

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10: Hello.Few days ago i make upgrade to Windows 10 on my computer with Windows 7 PRO licence. I know that the free upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 is not free any more. If i check Activation status it is Activeted with digital licence. Is this legal?...
  6. Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10: If I upgrade my operating system to Win 10 , must I redownload and reinstall all the games that I have on my PC ( around 12 Terabytes ) ? or there is a workaround to avoid that ( so that I can play them in Win 10 without the hassle ) ? Most of the games are on ( steam ,...
  7. upgrade to win 10 from 7

upgrade to win 10 from 7: I upgraded briefly about 2 years ago from 7 to 10 and then within an hour went back to win 7. Since that time my "setup backup " and thus backup would not complete.. a couple of days ago after some digging i was getting error code ox80041321 for which after trying a couple...
  8. upgrade from win 7 to 10

upgrade from win 7 to 10: I have an existing desktop computer running with windows 7. I purchased a new windows 10 dvd. My windows 7 is win 10 compatible. All the help ie videos etc seem to be based on using the windows "media creation tool" and not the official Microsoft dvd. If anyone can guide me...
  9. Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 7

Windows 10 Pro Upgrade from Win 7: I custom build my own machine. Current machine is a Window 7 Pro with an OEM version. Plan to Upgrade to Windows 10 Pro shortly. ------------ Questions ------------ 1) My understanding is I can install the Full Retail version and this will keep me from having to...
  10. Upgraded from Win 7

Upgraded from Win 7: I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 via the free upgrade a few years ago. Do I need to keep my original Win 7 installation disks & Product key? 131586