Windows 10: PUP.Optional.Babylon

Discus and support PUP.Optional.Babylon in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have WIN 10 PRO. I back-Up EVERY Day with Macrium Reflect 6 and run Malwarebytes which scans & updates every night. During the past 4 weeks I have... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by wen, Sep 2, 2015.

1. WEN
    wen Win User

PUP.Optional.Babylon

I have WIN 10 PRO. I back-Up EVERY Day with Macrium Reflect 6 and run Malwarebytes which scans & updates every night. During the past 4 weeks I have NOT Downloaded any FREEWARE Programs, just Unlocker last month. The Malwarebytes did a scheduled scan at 2:00 AM and found "PUP.Optional.Babylon". There were Files & Folders, 6 to be exact. Malwarebytes removed them all. I also run Norton Internet Security. How did this Malware get in ??

:)

2. axe0 New Member

Have you customed your program installations?
    Checked your browser settings?

axe0, Sep 2, 2015
  3. Borg 386 Win User
    The most probable sources are download hosting sites (such as CNet) which have a habit of adding unwanted programs to the package in order to make some money. There are also sites that have "drive by downloads," where the site has a hidden macro command in the background. Just visiting this site is enough to start the d/l of a program without your knowledge.

If you are downloading any new programs, go to the source/authors site & get it directly from there. If you are running Firefox, the NoScript add on will stop drive by downloads in most instances. Do not use "standard" or "express" settings when installing a program, go to the custom installation to be sure nothing is included in the installation such as tool bars. In most instances nowadays, PUP's are bundled in with software installers & need to be manually unchecked.

A good read here will show you the dangers of d/l ing from hosting sites.

Heres What Happens When You Install the Top 10 Download.com Apps

Borg 386, Sep 2, 2015
  4. WEN
    wen Win User

PUP.Optional.Babylon

THANKS Borg 386 !! Great reading !! The ONLY "Freeware" program I downloaded was UNLOCKER and that was over a month ago ??

5. Borg 386 Win User
    It could very well have put something in. In an effort to make money on "free" software, more & more companies are choosing to bundle PUP's into their software to make a buck. Even getting something from a legitimate site doesn't guarantee they won't try to sneak something in. The more legitimate companies will present the PUP right up front giving you the option to not install it. The sneakier ones will bundle it & give you no clue, even if you check the "custom" install.

I used a couple programs in the past that I no longer use because, although they were good programs, they now include toolbars/add ons which you can not opt out of. Basically, their TOS said "You will install this added program if you want to use our software." So I said goodbye.

A Good source for you to get malware scanners in the future that does not add any unwanted extras is bleeping computer.com.

This is a good program to ad to your arsenal of scanners, and you'll note there are some good tools listed below it, such as AdwCleaner & RKill.

TDSSKiller Download

Borg 386, Sep 2, 2015
  6. fredc Win User
    Borg is right on the money , the only scanner that has picked up every "pup" that every other on demand scanner misses is "Eset online scanner" , if you check the "find potentially unwanted programs" checkbox it finds just about everything .

I recommend you go with portable app's instead of the full program as even CCleaner installs google toolbars in the full version directly downloaded from Piriform themselves.

Don't believe it , run "Eset online scanner" with the (check for pups) box checked and see for yourself , no other scanner has found them . The portable CCleaner won't install them though.

I asked on Piroforms forums why does the full version install "pups" and a member said you must use the portable version to avoid. No option to opt out of installing them either.

The Babylon toolbar is a big pita , not a good one thats for sure.

fredc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

PUP.Optional.Babylon

1. PUP.Optional.Babylon - Similar Threads - PUP Optional Babylon

2. Babylon dictionary is not working on office 2003

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Babylon dictionary is not working on office 2003: Yesterday it worked. Today it is not working It works 3 or 4 days then it stops getting words translated on the document I just use right click on any word then a small list will appear and in its bottom there is a choice to use Babylon just I click translate using babylon...
  3. pup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pup: how do i remove PUP.Optional.AdvancedSystemCare https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pup/0f204772-95d8-429d-a40f-d1e3cd67c85b
  4. PUP

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    PUP: Hi everybody, I have seemed to have picked a potentially unwanted program. I keep getting redirected to a bing page once I have typed a search query in Google. Currently my McAfee suite is picking anything up. Malwarebytes was mentioned when I searched for some answers as...
  5. PUPs deiected. What are PUPs?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    PUPs deiected. What are PUPs?: Split from this thread. When i delete my corrupted files is it normal when it said pups?And What is PUPS what are they?and thank for the link i have the same issues....
  6. PUPs

PUPs: How do you set Windows 10 to block PUPs https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/pups/4a7c74c9-9590-4a41-a94a-f237d686d00a
  7. PUPs protection

PUPs protection: I went to Power Shell and went through the procedure of setting up PUPs protection how do I tell if I have done this correctly and its up and running https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/pups-protection/70d92818-3439-4684-a535-146b079abd9f
  8. Overrun by PUP's

Overrun by PUP's: I run 3 PC's windows 10 32 bit windows 10 64 bit windows 7 32 bit Whenever I run malwarebytes, say after 2-3 days interval - it records 325 PUP entries (applies to each machine) This is a comparatively recent happening. Some guidance as to how to avoid this intrusion...
  9. Pups

Pups: I have two PUPS that will not go away. I have Windows 10 with Chrome. I have disabled the extensions then reset Chrome but they persist. Should I reinstall Chrome or is there a better way to remove them? I use MBAM and have run Adware. I have Defender with the native...
  10. PUPs Found

PUPs Found: Malwarebytes just told me it needs to update, but all I could see was to scan, so I did. It found this: [img] I'm offered the option to quarantine, but I'd rather follow the link and delete the file itself. Can I safely do that? Any help appreciated. 93701