Windows 10: Pups

Discus and support Pups in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have two PUPS that will not go away. I have Windows 10 with Chrome. I have disabled the extensions then reset Chrome but they persist. Should I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by maranna, Nov 15, 2017.

1. maranna Win User

Pups

I have two PUPS that will not go away. I have Windows 10 with Chrome. I have disabled the extensions then reset Chrome but they persist.
    Should I reinstall Chrome or is there a better way to remove them? I use MBAM and have run Adware.
    I have Defender with the native firewall and a router.
    Thank you

:)

maranna, Nov 15, 2017

2. PUPS

Answer-by-number:

1. Is Defender configured to detect PUPs & PUAs?

2. Have you purchased MBAM Premium?

3. Does this concern the same Dell 7559 laptop as in your
    11 August 2017 thread
    and if so, had your Norton subscription already expired by the time you uninstalled it?

4. Have you ever run the Norton Removal Tool and/or the
    McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
    ?

5. What Version & OS Build of Windows 10 is currently installed?

• Press & hold the Windows Key and press the R
      key. In the RUN dialog, type WINVER and press the Enter key.

==================================

COMMENT: There isn't an anti-virus/anti-malware application in the world
    that can stop a very determined user from infecting his/her own computer, intentionally or not.

Cite:

PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 15, 2017
  3. PUPS

COMMENT: Over the years we've learned that sometimes it's too late for the Norton and/or McAfee removal tools to "come to the rescue." This may be another one of those times.

PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 15, 2017
  4. Pups

Caledon Ken, Nov 15, 2017
  5. maranna Win User
    I have since done reading after much testing and it appears there is a widespread, flagrant problem with Chrome. I will continue to use it until they work it out as I do not think it is dangerous. Would you agree?

maranna, Nov 15, 2017
  6. Listed as a PUP then it is potentially unwanted. Conduit is a search redirect. They are selling your data for advertising dollars instead of Google.

I see conduit everywhere, dangerous, no, PIA and I'm not sure what they are doing with search data.

Is your Chrome up to date.

Could you post a link please, I would like to read about this as I use Chrome. Thanks

You could try Firefox, it has been redesigned and it is supposed to be interesting. If only while Google straightens this out.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 15, 2017
  7. maranna Win User
    My Chrome is up to date. I was thinking of using F.F. but it dawned on me that my wife's chromebook is a chrome browser so she cannot do much about it. The browser that came with our phones is also Chrome and although we could use another it takes up space on out little 15GB phones. The voice to text with Chrome spoiled me as I type poorly/slowly. If you just enter any red flag words like,"Chrome and PUPS", or any terms like that you will see a lot of discussions about this very string we have discussed.
    I am hoping Google gets to it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...M4QlUvRPfVPusi

maranna, Nov 16, 2017
  8. Plankton Win User

Pups

Download and install malwarebytes.....it will find it and remove it for you. Personally I would uninstall Chrome and delete all personal data and then download a fresh new copy of Chrome and let it install. Then download superantispyware, install it and run it.

Plankton, Nov 16, 2017
  9. torre Win User
    AdwCleaner - Free Adware Cleaner & Removal Tool

Is the above link the MB AdwCleaner you ran ?

When you say "can't get rid of them" meaning AdwCleaner eliminates and then they return ? As mentioned above, safest method may be to save Favorites to html file, uninstall and reinstall Chrome.

torre, Nov 16, 2017
  10. Fix with Junkware Removal Tool

Please download Malwarebytes' Junkware Removal Tool and save the file to your desktop.

• Right-click on the JRT.exe or Junkware Removal Tool icon and select Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    • Follow the prompts and let this process run uninterrupted.
    • This scan can take a while, depending on your System specs.
    • Upon completion, a log (JRT.txt) will open on your desktop.

Please include the contents of that file in your reply.

FreeBooter, Nov 16, 2017
  11. eLPuSHeR Win User
    You may need to temporarily disable Google Sync to effectively remove the infection.

You could also give Firefox Quantum a try. It's pretty fast and according to Mozilla it consumes less memory than Chrome.

eLPuSHeR, Nov 16, 2017
  12. maranna Win User
    Chrome has a problem so the detection is on them. It will come back no matter how much cleaning is done.
    I was told to add the detection to the excursions. I don't think it works with free MBAM but maybe the detection placed on desktop can be added as a file in exclusions. I know it is still there, but I won't see it, and I will consider your ideas.
    I used a series of malware removal including JRT and ADWcleaner.
    >Plankton what do you mean by remove all personal data? Do you mean in the Chrome folder? I have replaced Chrome already.
    No matter how I remove it, by Chrome's very nature, it comes back when Chrome is run. I can ty to stop all syncing.
    I would use FF but lose the voice to text and my typing is really bad.
    I think I will uninstall Chrome till they work it out and use something else but will miss voice. Maybe Edge and Cortana. My wife's Chromebook is a chrome browser so how do it affect her?

>PS I uninstalled Chrome and am using Edge with Cortana. MBAM report is clean. *Wink

maranna, Nov 16, 2017
  13. simrick Win User

Pups

Hi.
    Conduit is not native to Chrome.
    You definitely need to get it off your system.
    Problem is, some programs install/use it, (like HotSpot Shield VPN), so you need to get rid of the program then.
    Syncing will also bring it back. You also have to be careful what add-ons you put in the thing.
    It's possible you will need to RESET all browsers on the system (not just Chrome, but all of them - whether you use them or not).

As mentioned above, ADWCleaner will get rid of it once and for all.

simrick, Nov 16, 2017
  14. Plankton Win User
    When you uninstall Chrome it give you a pop up asking you if want to delete all your personal data/settings, this includes Chrome sync.

Plankton, Nov 16, 2017
  15. maranna Win User
    >Done and thank you for your help.

maranna, Nov 16, 2017
Thema:

Pups

1. Pups - Similar Threads - Pups

2. Windows Defender persistently detects active Gamehack and Presenoker PUPs after repeated...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender persistently detects active Gamehack and Presenoker PUPs after repeated...: Windows Defender persistently detects active Gamehack and Presenoker PUPs in protection history after repeated removals - are these real threats or just false protection history information?...
  3. Windows Defender persistently detects active Gamehack and Presenoker PUPs after repeated...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender persistently detects active Gamehack and Presenoker PUPs after repeated...: Windows Defender persistently detects active Gamehack and Presenoker PUPs in protection history after repeated removals - are these real threats or just false protection history information?...
  4. how i manage to delete pup or pua threat ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how i manage to delete pup or pua threat ?: hope this finds and helps you. i've research and research, found many answers, non that could help me. but in beetwen the lines i manage to do something that helps remove pua or pup threat and defender can't find it anymore. so this being said let's go to workfirst: go to C:...
  5. how i manage to delete pup or pua threat ?

how i manage to delete pup or pua threat ?: hope this finds and helps you. i've research and research, found many answers, non that could help me. but in beetwen the lines i manage to do something that helps remove pua or pup threat and defender can't find it anymore. so this being said let's go to workfirst: go to C:...
  6. YourSearchBar PUP/browser hijacker wont go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    YourSearchBar PUP/browser hijacker wont go away: I have some kind of malware on my chrome browser which i've tried alot to make go away. When I search something up, right before results come up, the link turns into yoursearchbar then turns into some bing link. And there is an extension named, Your Search Bar, that i cannot...
  7. YourSearchBar PUP/browser hijacker wont go away

YourSearchBar PUP/browser hijacker wont go away: I have some kind of malware on my chrome browser which i've tried alot to make go away. When I search something up, right before results come up, the link turns into yoursearchbar then turns into some bing link. And there is an extension named, Your Search Bar, that i cannot...
  8. PUP/browser hijacker wont go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PUP/browser hijacker wont go away: I have some kind of malware on my chrome browser which i've tried alot to make go away. When I search somethin up, right before result come up, the link turns into yoursearchbar then turns into some bing link. And there is an extension named, Your Search Bar, that i cannot...
  9. PUP/browser hijacker wont go away

PUP/browser hijacker wont go away: I have some kind of malware on my chrome browser which i've tried alot to make go away. When I search somethin up, right before result come up, the link turns into yoursearchbar then turns into some bing link. And there is an extension named, Your Search Bar, that i cannot...
  10. Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Defender should detected PUP fake totalav: https://youtu.be/PcS3EozgyhI?t=467 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-defender-should-detected-pup-fake/9b17d021-f60d-4414-9c0b-3867e7bc56d9