Windows 10: Push to talk causes stutter in Steam games

Discus and support Push to talk causes stutter in Steam games in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Posted this in several forums but seems that nobody else is having this issue. My last hope. *Smile I would be grateful if somebody else can confirm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MaCk0y, Apr 24, 2020.

1. MaCk0y Win User

Push to talk causes stutter in Steam games

Posted this in several forums but seems that nobody else is having this issue. My last hope. *Smile

I would be grateful if somebody else can confirm the same behaviour in regards to how Steam games access the microphone on Windows 10. The following is how Steam works for me:

Unlike with other game platforms where the games use the mic, in Steam games it's the Steam Client Bootstrapper that uses the mic and not the games themselves. And unlike with the other platforms, where the games constantly use the mic until you close them, the Steam Client only uses the mic when pressing the Push to Talk button and then stops using it when releasing the button which I think is the cause of the stutter. I guess this is good for privacy but not at the expense of gameplay. The workaround is having any other application running that is constantly using the mic. This eliminates the stutter in game. Here's what I mean.

If you look at the bottom right next to the Steam icon, the mic icon appears and disappears whenever I press and release the push to talk button. And on the left the Steam Client bootstrapper timestamp appearing and disappearing. (When I alt-tab out of the game, the steam client keeps using the mic because I was using a controller while the push to talk button was still pressed)

For me this is happening with all the Steam games that I currently have installed that support push to talk. I read some other posts where people experience this voice chat stutter but only in a specific game not all of the Steam games. Some of them use a USB mic. I use a 3.5mm Modmic. I don't have this issue with non Steam games. I tried different Realtek drivers with and without Nahimic but I think this is a Steam vs Windows 10 issue.

Windows 10 1909 1363.778

:)

MaCk0y, Apr 24, 2020
  2. MaCk0y Win User

Posted this in several forums but seems that nobody else is having this issue. My last hope. *Smile

I would be grateful if somebody else can confirm the same behaviour in regards to how Steam games access the microphone on Windows 10. The following is how Steam works for me:

Unlike with other game platforms where the games use the mic, in Steam games it's the Steam Client Bootstrapper that uses the mic and not the games themselves. And unlike with the other platforms, where the games constantly use the mic until you close them, the Steam Client only uses the mic when pressing the Push to Talk button and then stops using it when releasing the button which I think is the cause of the stutter. I guess this is good for privacy but not at the expense of gameplay. The workaround is having any other application running that is constantly using the mic. This eliminates the stutter in game. Here's what I mean.

If you look at the bottom right next to the Steam icon, the mic icon appears and disappears whenever I press and release the push to talk button. And on the left the Steam Client bootstrapper timestamp appearing and disappearing. (When I alt-tab out of the game, the steam client keeps using the mic because I was using a controller while the push to talk button was still pressed)

For me this is happening with all the Steam games that I currently have installed that support push to talk. I read some other posts where people experience this voice chat stutter but only in a specific game not all of the Steam games. Some of them use a USB mic. I use a 3.5mm Modmic. I don't have this issue with non Steam games. I tried different Realtek drivers with and without Nahimic but I think this is a Steam vs Windows 10 issue.

Windows 10 1909 1363.778

MaCk0y, Apr 24, 2020
  3. Game dvr push to talk

Why doesnt microsoft get push to talk feature in game dvr app on windows 10. I mean, its so obvious any gamer would want that feature. Currently i am required to turn the mic on by default (the toggle in the dvr settings) and that records all the other
    non desired sounds and disturbances along with my voice. We want push to talk feature that would turn on the mic only when a specific key is pressed. Dont you guys agree?

Abhishek Muthukrishnan, Apr 24, 2020
  4. Push to talk causes stutter in Steam games

Windows 10 Steam game crashes

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• Does the issue occur only with Steam games or all games?
    • Are you able to view videos?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

I suggest you to update the Graphic Card driver by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapters.
    • Right click on the driver and select Update Driver Software.
    • Follow the on-screen prompts to update the driver.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 24, 2020
Thema:

1. Push to talk causes stutter in Steam games - Similar Threads - Push talk causes

2. Balanced performance mode causes games to stutter.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Balanced performance mode causes games to stutter.: I've been having a power issue for a while with my laptop. I dont know what i did, but this started a month ago I'd say. So basically, my laptop tends to heat up when the balanced power mode Settings>System> Power & Battery is set to best performance, and i dont want it to...
  3. Mapping mouse button 4/5 to game bar push-to-talk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mapping mouse button 4/5 to game bar push-to-talk: I can do it in Discord. I can do it in TeamSpeak. I can do it in every game I play. But I can't do it in XBOX parties. Has anyone found a way to do this that doesn't require me to remap my mouse button and thus ALL of my other PTT mappings?...
  4. Mapping mouse button 4/5 to game bar push-to-talk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mapping mouse button 4/5 to game bar push-to-talk: I can do it in Discord. I can do it in TeamSpeak. I can do it in every game I play. But I can't do it in XBOX parties. Has anyone found a way to do this that doesn't require me to remap my mouse button and thus ALL of my other PTT mappings?...
  5. How to enable Push to Talk on Discord

in Windows 10 News
    How to enable Push to Talk on Discord: [ATTACH]The Push-to-Talk feature in Discord allows you to create a button by pressing which, your mic will be enabled and you will be able to communicate. This is especially useful if you live in an area with a ton of background noises, so, basically for each one of us. In...
  6. How do you reset the push to talk keys on xbox game bar?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do you reset the push to talk keys on xbox game bar?: So i was playing with friend on xbox messing around and they I accidentally assigned three keys to the keybind, how do i reset this submitted by /u/Dankgodperson [link] [comments]...
  7. Push to talk not working with extra mouse buttons.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Push to talk not working with extra mouse buttons.: So I use the game bar Windows 10 quite a lot. I also use push to talk all the time. Recently I get a new mouse with 2 extra buttons on the side and it works for everything. I was setting up one of the side buttons for the push to talk on the game bar but when I went to...
  8. Xbox party chat push to talk not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Xbox party chat push to talk not working: I wanted to use push to talk but when I'm ingame it doesn't register that I'm pressing the button or just keeps my mic on submitted by /u/myshui [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ezh16z/xbox_party_chat_push_to_talk_not_working/
  9. When I play Steam games, they stutter and frames drop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    When I play Steam games, they stutter and frames drop: Howdy. Recently my computer has been making my games stutter and lag. This never been a problem as I have 16 GB of RAM and Radeon r9 200 with an AMD 8 core processor. What can I do to fix this inconvenience? I already uninstalled my GPU driver with DDU and reinstalled them....
  10. Stuttering in games caused by svchost process

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stuttering in games caused by svchost process: Ok so in some of my games, when I am playing I get random stutters, the cause of which I have finally narrowed down to svchost being the culprit. Before I go any further my PC specs are: Core i7 6700 GTX 1070 16 GB 2133 Mhz RAM 250 GB SSD 1 TB HDD I have Windows...