Windows 10: Put a dumb file name, can't access files. Pls help.

Discus and support Put a dumb file name, can't access files. Pls help. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was doing some work in Notepad++ and I decided (in hindsight, unwisely) to name my file with a colon. I can't remember the list of "forbidden... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/abrow425, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Put a dumb file name, can't access files. Pls help.

I was doing some work in Notepad++ and I decided (in hindsight, unwisely) to name my file with a colon. I can't remember the list of "forbidden characters" off the top of my head, and when it didn't give me a warning, I assumed it would be fine.

So, when I closed notepad++, I was unfortunately struck by the unfortunate realisation that my filename had rendered the work I did (an hour, give or take) inaccessible.

The name was "sentinel: shadow" (Force and Destiny rpg, look it up). Is there any possible way that I can find this file somewhere in the bowels of my hard drive, using some arcane search function deep within win10? Or should I accept this as a life lesson to not be dumb with file names and restart?

I have already checked in the location where Notepad++ stores temp files, as well as done a search in File Explorer (at This PC) for both "sentinel" and "shadow".

submitted by /u/abrow425
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/abrow425, Mar 23, 2020
  2. GSquadron Win User

Help me pls! Files are gone!

I have cut and paste some files and the files were i put them in the external hdd are gone!!!
    The external hdd is all free!!! Help me pls! *Respect :respect:

GSquadron, Mar 23, 2020
  3. slozomby Win User
    Recent File List

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file1

Remove-ItemProperty -Path "Registry::HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file2
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file3
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file4
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file5
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file6
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file7
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file8
    \Applets\Paint\Recent File List" -name file9

you get the idea. ( too lazy to put it in a for loop and test it.

or just open regedit and remove all the fileX from that key.

slozomby, Mar 23, 2020
  4. DRDNA Win User

Put a dumb file name, can't access files. Pls help.

Recover access database

Looks like you will need to rebuild the whole thing but at least you have the data still, right?
    EDIT: Wait did you try this?

Convert a database to the Access 2007 file format

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/a...-the-access-2007-file-format-HA010048406.aspx

You cannot convert a replicated database to the Office Access 2007 file format. However, you can use Access 2007 to create a replica of a database that is formatted in either the Access 2000 or the Access 2002 - 2003 file format.

More copy and paste:
    [paste:font size="5"]Convert an Access 97 database, Convert an Access 95 database, or Convert an Access 2.0 database.
    • Click the Microsoft Office Button
      Put a dumb file name, can't access files. Pls help. [​IMG]
      , point to Save As, and then, under Save the database in another format, click the file format to which you want to convert.
    • If any database objects are open when you use the Save Database As command, Access prompts you to close them prior to creating the copy. Click Yes to make Access close the objects, or click No to cancel the entire process. If needed, Access will also prompt you to save any changes.
    • In the Save As dialog box, type a file name in the File name box, and then click Save.
    Access creates the copy of the database, and then opens the copy. Access automatically closes the original database.

Here is a short and sweet version: http://www.ehow.com/how_7339817_convert-2003-database-access-2007.html

DRDNA, Mar 23, 2020
Thema:

Put a dumb file name, can't access files. Pls help.

1. Put a dumb file name, can't access files. Pls help. - Similar Threads - Put dumb file

2. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't access filed: - quick ? My husband has an HP laptop about 10yrs old it froze yesterday trying to log on, received " internal battery" message now he can't sign on. He bought a brand new HP laptop and now trying to figure out how to get his scan folder off old laptop? It's a new Windows11...
  3. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't access filed: - quick ? My husband has an HP laptop about 10yrs old it froze yesterday trying to log on, received " internal battery" message now he can't sign on. He bought a brand new HP laptop and now trying to figure out how to get his scan folder off old laptop? It's a new Windows11...
  4. Can't access filed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Tried everything file is not deleting help pls

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tried everything file is not deleting help pls: I TRIED CHANGING ADMINISTRATOR , i tried finding process in resource monitor , i tried stopping windows explorer , i did restart many times but i cant find where the file is in use plz help...
  6. Help pls, I lost a file!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help pls, I lost a file!: So I hid a app from control panel using registry editor and deleted its start menu folder too. And now I can't find its shortcut and the application itself. The app name is UrbanVPN. submitted by /u/LetsGoDeeper546 [link] [comments]...
  7. Putting folder names in a text file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Putting folder names in a text file: I have a folder with someh hundred subfolders. Is it possible to have these folder names in a text file? 104541
  8. "Directory name is invalid" : Can't access any file on the network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Directory name is invalid" : Can't access any file on the network: Hi All, hope you're well. My first subscription here, I see it's quite a busy forum so I'm sure I'll find interesting thing to discuss. The main reason I'm here today is because I have an annoying problem: I'm accessing my network files hosted on a Synology via windows...
  9. Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!

in Windows 10 Support
    Long file names and shared (Samba) files access - But !!: Hi there Windows build 1607 Pro X64 GB edition. You CAN access these files when a Samba drive is mounted as network drive but Windows truncates the names !!!! Music will play though with VLC etc. But as VLC uses file explorer to browse files you get the ones with the...
  10. Help About Files Names

in Windows 10 Support
    Help About Files Names: Hello! Yesterday i did format! After the format my files names (photos,srt,txt) its not to the center! [img] Before the format its like this: [img] 103256