Windows 10: Put my operating system on the wrong drive.

Discus and support Put my operating system on the wrong drive. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently upgraded windows 10 on my pc and thought I had to put it on my HDD. Is there any way for me to migrate just the os system to a smaller SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Cicatriz90, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Put my operating system on the wrong drive.

I recently upgraded windows 10 on my pc and thought I had to put

it on my HDD. Is there any way for me to migrate just the os system to a smaller SSD or am I better to just do a clean install on the SSD and start from scratch again on my HDD?

:)

Cicatriz90, Jan 14, 2020

2. need list of usb bootable Operating Systems

I am looking for a good list of operating systems you can run from a usb or dvd.

If not a list, then folks can just post their top picks.

I want these to run from the usb/dvd without installing on the system or getting in the way of the system that exists on the hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

John Phoenix, Jan 14, 2020
  3. zbook Win User
    Programs not working

In post 26 there were steps listed to fix the operating system corruption.
    Are you able to follow them?
    In post 29 was the suggested dism repair command.

zbook, Jan 14, 2020
  4. Put my operating system on the wrong drive.

Error: "An operating system wasn't found. Try disconnecting any drives that don't contain an operating system"

Hi Stephen,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in accessing the operating system. Now that you have me with you let me take care of this.

Do let us know if you are able to see Windows 7/ Windows 10 operating system while rebooting the device?

As you are unable to boot the operating system, this issue might have occurred when the boot files are missing or corrupted.

I suggest you re-built the boot rec by following the below commands and check if it helps.
    You will have to use Windows 10/7 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    operating system using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 10:
    Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

If system boots to Windows 7: Download Windows 7 Disc Images (ISO Files)

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10/7 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the Advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.
    • bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of booting the operating system for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 14, 2020
Thema:

Put my operating system on the wrong drive.

1. Put my operating system on the wrong drive. - Similar Threads - Put operating system

2. Operating System on D drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Operating System on D drive: I somehow partitioned the drive and now all files are on D:. Of course the laptop won't boot up.Can I merely copy all files from D: to C: and delete D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system-on-d-drive/bc606cfb-d323-4662-bdde-e011a75d8209
  3. Operating System on D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Operating System on D drive: I somehow partitioned the drive and now all files are on D:. Of course the laptop won't boot up.Can I merely copy all files from D: to C: and delete D? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system-on-d-drive/bc606cfb-d323-4662-bdde-e011a75d8209
  4. Operating System on D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My Operating Systems Use Different Drive Letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My Operating Systems Use Different Drive Letters: I reinstalled both of my operating systems, both on separate SSDs. Western Digital Blue, 250GB. What one calls C drive the other calls D drive and vice versa. I don't know if this is a great problem, but there seems no way to change my C drives to D or voce versa....
  6. Update my operating system.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Update my operating system.: Hello, I wanted to ask of how do I upgrade my operating system. I'm asking because I wanted to update my Windows 10 to the latest version, I have enough storage, CPU and memory, but not the operating system, so I would be grateful if anybody helped....
  7. "the operating system drive is not protected by bitlocker drive encryption"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "the operating system drive is not protected by bitlocker drive encryption": Hi. My pc has 8 drives attached to it. A: sata ssd B: usb C: m2 nvme E: m2 nvme U: sata ssd W: usb X: sata hdd Y: sata hdd E, U X and Y are bitlocked. I wanted to turn on the auto-unlock feature, which worked fine except for drive E, which give the error,...
  8. my operating system is not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    my operating system is not working: exel words are not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-operating-system-is-not-working/7a50ed42-bb0a-481a-bf40-a3555a9f09a9
  9. Unable to migrate my operating system to another drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to migrate my operating system to another drive.: Hi, so in the last week I've been having troubles with my C: SSD drive which I've had since I got the Computer back in December 2013 following a car accident. After problems with booting which ended in a chkdsk in the recovery screen, it was discovered that there were a few...
  10. Can't put a system image on my LEXAR thumb drive...

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't put a system image on my LEXAR thumb drive...: In Windows 10, I tried to put a system image on my LEXAR 30GB USB thumb drive but Windows said I can't do that because the drive is not formatted in NTFS. So I formatted it in NTFS and now Windows says "not a valid drive." Can anyone tell me what's happening? Thanx....