Windows 10: Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account

Discus and support Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi there. Recently when I have been putting my computer to sleep the monitor turns off but the computer stays onfans etc all still on. I then try to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Danny G2, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Danny G2 Win User

Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account

Hi there. Recently when I have been putting my computer to sleep the monitor turns off but the computer stays onfans etc all still on. I then try to wake it and I cant so I have to do a hard reset. So something is causing my computer to crash before it goes to sleep. I have tried logging out of my account and then putting it to sleep and this works fine so it must be something which is running in my account which is causing the problem. Is there any way I can find out what is specifically causing this problem? Many thanks, Dannyps. I have updated all of my drivers and this did not solve the

:)

Danny G2, Aug 14, 2022
  2. jaydub Win User

Trouble Putting PC to Sleep

I finally determined what the cause of my PC waking up right after I invoke sleep function Start > Power > Sleep. I recently purchased a Velocifire wireless (2.4ghz) keyboard that also comes with a USB cord so it can be used in corded mode. When used in corded mode, sleeping the PC is not a problem. When I use the wireless dongle, the PC refuses to sleep for more than a second. So, the wireless mode of this keyboard is what triggers the problem. In addition to the things I've tried in my original post, here are the results of some suggestions you guys made:
    • Created a new fake user and logged in under than user. Same behavior.
    • Started PC in Safe Mode. Unfortunately, in Safe Mode sleep functions are limited to the monitor and hard drives. Nothing to put the PC to sleep.
    • Tried going into sleep via Alt + F4. Same behavior.
    • powercfg -a reports S3 is active on my system.
    There are no obvious irregularities in Device Manager. The dongle shows up under USB Serial Bus Controllers as a USB Composite Device.
    • General Tab says "This device is working properly".
    • In Driver Tab, I tried searching for a better driver, but Windows says there is no better driver.
    • There is no Power Management tab.
    So as it turns out, all of things I've tried appear to have been a waste of time as it was not addressing the wireless function of the keyboard. I contacted the manufacturer and they suggested that I delete the USB Composite Device entry, re-boot and re-insert the dongle. However, that did not change inability to sleep the PC.

Any other ideas?

jaydub, Aug 14, 2022
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Computer wakes from sleep immediately after putting to sleep

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that the computer wakes up immediately after putting to sleep.

There could be several reasons for the computer not going to sleep mode. To determine which device is causing this, we can run a simple command and check the reason why the computer woke up from sleep mode. To do this refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Type command prompt in the
      search bar
      on the Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Now, paste the following command and hit Enter:
      powercfg lastwake.
    4. Share the results of the command.

The above command should let us know the device that is preventing the computer going into sleep mode.

Let us know the results and we will help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 14, 2022
  4. BRU
    bru Win User

BSOD/crashes occur when computer sleeps

Perhaps I have overlooked some suggestions. Other than disabling sleep, which I can try, are there others?

I am confident my Power settings are basic and not causing this.

Regarding sleep, which is an essential function of a computer in my mind, if disabling it prevents the crashes from occurring that doesn't really fix the problem it just masks the symptom.

Thema:

1. Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account - Similar Threads - Putting computer sleep

2. Computer crashing when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashing when put to sleep: Hi,Minidump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pdz2u69zg3amjv/121022-69343-01.zip?dl=0Computer occasionally crashes for no reason, but recently always when asleep.Motherboard: H110M-ACPU: Intel i5-6500Windows 10 Home 64bitPlease let me know if I can provide any other...
  3. Computer crashing when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer crashing when put to sleep: Hi,Minidump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pdz2u69zg3amjv/121022-69343-01.zip?dl=0Computer occasionally crashes for no reason, but recently always when asleep.Motherboard: H110M-ACPU: Intel i5-6500Windows 10 Home 64bitPlease let me know if I can provide any other...
  4. Computer crashing when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account

Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account: Hi there. Recently when I have been putting my computer to sleep the monitor turns off but the computer stays onfans etc all still on. I then try to wake it and I cant so I have to do a hard reset. So something is causing my computer to crash before it goes to sleep. I have...
  6. Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Putting computer to sleep causes it to crash when logged in to my account: Hi there. Recently when I have been putting my computer to sleep the monitor turns off but the computer stays onfans etc all still on. I then try to wake it and I cant so I have to do a hard reset. So something is causing my computer to crash before it goes to sleep. I have...
  7. Computer crashes when I put it to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashes when I put it to sleep: So I usually put my pc to sleep using the win+x menu, but lately, I've noticed that my PC will turn itself off before it actually goes to sleep. The screen turns black and the PC tower will run for about 5 minutes before shutting down. When I check the event logs this is what...
  8. Computer crashes when I put it to sleep

Computer crashes when I put it to sleep: So I usually put my pc to sleep using the win+x menu, but lately, I've noticed that my PC will turn itself off before it actually goes to sleep. The screen turns black and the PC tower will run for about 5 minutes before shutting down. When I check the event logs this is what...
  9. Computer crashes/reboots when put to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer crashes/reboots when put to sleep: Hello, Hoping someone can help me out here, I have been troubleshooting this for months and am completely out of ideas. I am definitely willing to start over so I'll spare everyone the long list of things I have tried and just lay out the situation. Issue: Anytime my...
  10. Computer Crashes When Put to Sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Crashes When Put to Sleep: I press Windows key, Power, and then Sleep. The display immediately turns off but my keyboard and mouse stay lit up, after about 1 minute the computer shuts down. When I go to turn the computer back on it goes through the boot up process. This problem only started happening...