Windows 10: Putting folder names in a text file

Discus and support Putting folder names in a text file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a folder with someh hundred subfolders. Is it possible to have these folder names in a text file? 104541 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by PiKo, Feb 16, 2018.

1. PiKo Win User

Putting folder names in a text file

I have a folder with someh hundred subfolders. Is it possible to have these folder names in a text file?

:)

2. Andre Da Costa, Feb 16, 2018
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Printing file names in a folder from file explorer

I use the Snipping tool and take a screen shot.

Go to search and type snipping tool and open it.

It is very straight forward. All you have to do is click new and then use your mouse to drag what section you want.

Hope that helps!

SarahKong, Feb 16, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Shift right click in the parent folder/open command window/power shell here/paste dir > listmyfolder.txt and Enter

Edwin, Feb 17, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    If you want the subdirectories too then do this:

dir /ad /s /b > listmyfolder.txt

/ad means show only directories
    /s means recurse through subdirectories
    /b means show basic details.

6. PiKo Win User
    Thanks for these answers. They did what I wanted.

PiKo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Putting folder names in a text file - Similar Threads - Putting folder names

2. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  3. Files and folders with $ in the name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files and folders with $ in the name: My C: drive SSD was replaced by Dell. All of my applications and files were lost. I can reinstall all the applications, but the files I saved at S3 are funky to use. Many folders have "$" appended to the folder name. Then under the folder many files also have "$" appended to...
  4. File folder name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File folder name: When I'm trying to type a name into a new file, it will stop me after so many characters. What is going on? How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-name/87c6a0f0-b69b-4506-ac4f-3d340bdc3f21
  5. Files and folders names in explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files and folders names in explorer: Letters in the name of files or folders in explorer are separated. For example, look at the screenshots:[ATTACH][ATTACH] As you can see, the name is written as a single word, but, when i save it, it separates. How to solve this problem? I have the latest Windows 10 2004...
  6. File folder names gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File folder names gone: My file folder names disappeared when I recently 3/2020 updated Windows. How do I get them back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-folder-names-gone/819f1c73-77a3-4ada-80d9-ebf057024ab8
  7. Copy folder or file names as a text file

in Windows 10 Support
    Copy folder or file names as a text file: Hi i have an extension called copy file names but doesn’t work very well, mucks up the order.... if i I use the windows option it works but I get more info than I need, I simply want the file name... are there switches Cher’s I can use to achieve this ..? thanks 135675
  8. Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compare a text file containing file names with files in a folder: Hi, I have a text files containing a list of file names and I wish to compare that to a folder with files in it. The folder contains a rather large number of files and I want to see if files in that folder exist in the file with the list of file names. Hope I have explained...
  9. Put "&" in the shorcut name?

in Windows 10 Support
    Put "&" in the shorcut name?: Here's an interesting (I guess) thing - is there any way to put the "&" symbol into the file/app shortcut name? Windows automatically converts it to the keyboard shortcut indicator and I'd like to avoid that. At the moment whenever the shortcut says e.g. "Tag & Rename"...
  10. Text in Files and Folders Names Aligned to the Left Instead of Center

in Windows 10 Support
    Text in Files and Folders Names Aligned to the Left Instead of Center: Hi guys and admins Few days ago I wanted to fix a very annoying problem on my windows 10. This was my problem: "Text in Files and Folders Names Aligned to the Left Instead of Center" I could solve this problem with a registry file which I downloaded from here:...