Windows 10: putting laptop to sleep

Discus and support putting laptop to sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I was told by an IT Pro to put the laptop to sleep when I was done using it. Why then overnight at times i turn it on the next day and it is completely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Laserbeam125, Mar 6, 2018.

1. putting laptop to sleep

I was told by an IT Pro to put the laptop to sleep when I was done using it. Why then overnight at times i turn it on the next day and it is completely shut down, I must hit the power button to get it back on, who or why does this happen?

:)

Laserbeam125, Mar 6, 2018
  2. Argel Obm Win User

Windows 10 putting laptop to sleep too frequently

Hi Ian,

Kindly provide us the following information to better assist you:

• When did the issue start?
    • Any changes prior to the concern?
    • Does the issue happens only in battery mode or even if it's plugged in?
    In the mean time, access Power & sleep and check if settings are correct. To access
    Power & sleep, follow the steps below:

• Click the Windows logo (Start button).
    • Click the gear icon (Settings).
    • Select System.
    • Choose Power & sleep.
    We'll be waiting for your response.

Argel Obm, Mar 6, 2018
  3. Windows 10 putting laptop to sleep too frequently

Hi Argel, the steps about switching to NEVER for all options has worked. I have been testing this over the last few days and have not had the problem of my laptop going to sleep every five minutes.

Many thanks for your help, really appreciated! Regards Ian

IanMunro2602, Mar 6, 2018
  4. putting laptop to sleep

Well thanks for all the replies

Laserbeam125, Mar 27, 2018
  5. torre Win User
    Go to Control Panel/System and Security/Power Options

You can adjust times as desired. Default will automatically turn computer off from Sleep after certain period if not adjusted.

What the IT person may have meant, is to put the laptop in Sleep mode if you intend on resuming use after a certain period instead of turning on/off at each use.

torre, Mar 27, 2018
  6. Hayden93 Win User
    Hey Laserneam125

I would not advise it as it could cause more problems than what its worth. It will be safer for your data and your hardware if a full shutdown was completed before long periods of inactivity.
    Furthermore the reason it is shutting down will be as Torre advised, the power settings.

I hope that this helps.
    -Hayden

Hayden93, Mar 28, 2018
  7. davidhk Win User
    I would like to ask a question or 2 to make sure I have all the facts. I apologise if my questions sound redundant.

1. How do you turn the laptop to Sleep ? Did you use the Power Options to set the Sleep mode ?
    2. To "wake up" the laptop from sleep, you need to hit one of the keys (any key) from the keyboard. Did you do that ?
    3. Is the battery always inserted to the laptop ?

davidhk, Mar 28, 2018
  8. putting laptop to sleep

Well thank you all very much for the replies. Someone asked how I went about putting it to sleep, I hit the start button, then power, then sleep, but if this is not a good practice I will shut it down completely. Again thank you all.

Laserbeam125, Mar 29, 2018
  9. mrgeek Win User
    I agree with the others to Shut Down if done with computer for hours, especially if running on battery only. Have you reviewed all your power options in All settings/Power & sleep/Related settings/Additional power settings which takes you to this screen ? All kinds of options, like just close lid or tap power button. No need to even use Start button.

putting laptop to sleep [​IMG]

mrgeek, Mar 29, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    Is it really fully shutdown? I have one laptop that will only wake from sleep (or hibernation) using the power button, one that wakes from any keyboard press and another that wakes on opening the lid. It seems to vary between manufacturers and even models from the same manufacturer.

The only real advantage of using sleep rather than shutting down is that you can carry on from where you left off, that and getting to the desktop faster. The disadvantage is that sleep requires some power to maintain it. If you really are starting up from cold the next day it could be that the battery has gone flat overnight.

I prefer to use hibernation rather than sleep, that doesn't use any power and survives even if you remove the battery.

The recommendations above not to use sleep or hibernation are because a few models are known to have problems waking up, such as not restoring the display. If yours isn't affected this way there's no reason you can't use sleep or hibernation, but there's no real need to either. It's a personal choice in the end, mine is hibernation.

11. davidhk Win User
    Besides asking you how you went about putting your laptop to sleep, I also asked the following questions which you have not yet addressed................

2. To "wake up" the laptop from sleep, you need to hit one of the keys (any key) from the keyboard. Did you do that ?
    3. Is the battery always inserted to the laptop ?

Adding ..............
    All my computers are either laptops or tablets. I use the Power Options to setup the Sleep mode on all of them.
    mrgeek has explained how to do that in post #7.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

putting laptop to sleep

1. putting laptop to sleep - Similar Threads - putting laptop sleep

2. if i put the laptop in sleep mode, it is not sleeping

in Windows 10 Gaming
    if i put the laptop in sleep mode, it is not sleeping: if i put the laptop in sleep mode, lock screen is not appearingi tried many times, it has been many months the laptop is not locking only and if i close the lid, lock screen does not appear, only the screen blacks out and when i open the lid back on i come where i left off...
  3. if i put the laptop in sleep mode, it is not sleeping

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    if i put the laptop in sleep mode, it is not sleeping: if i put the laptop in sleep mode, lock screen is not appearingi tried many times, it has been many months the laptop is not locking only and if i close the lid, lock screen does not appear, only the screen blacks out and when i open the lid back on i come where i left off...
  4. spacebar puts my laptop to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    spacebar puts my laptop to sleep: when I use my laptop, I need to hold space or it will sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spacebar-puts-my-laptop-to-sleep/4544bee7-0f5d-45b5-8b72-ab1de21aa069
  5. spacebar puts my laptop to sleep

spacebar puts my laptop to sleep: when I use my laptop, I need to hold space or it will sleep https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spacebar-puts-my-laptop-to-sleep/4544bee7-0f5d-45b5-8b72-ab1de21aa069
  6. Manually putting laptop to sleep and

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually putting laptop to sleep and: Can someone please tell me what I did? I was fooling around, trying to have the laptop awake out of sleep and have the same landscape picture be there each time. I wasn't successful with that but also now, when I put the laptop to sleep from the Start button, it goes to sleep...
  7. Manually putting laptop to sleep and

Manually putting laptop to sleep and: Can someone please tell me what I did? I was fooling around, trying to have the laptop awake out of sleep and have the same landscape picture be there each time. I wasn't successful with that but also now, when I put the laptop to sleep from the Start button, it goes to sleep...
  8. Turn off the display puts laptop to sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off the display puts laptop to sleep?: My settings are to turn off the display after a few minutes but to never put the laptop to sleep. However, every time I leave my laptop alone and the 'display' turns off, I have to login? I don't want to have to login every time my laptop screen dims! I just got a new laptop...
  9. DRIVER_STATE_POWER_FAILURE 9F after putting laptop into sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DRIVER_STATE_POWER_FAILURE 9F after putting laptop into sleep: Hi there, After putting my Dell Latitude 7300 into sleep, a short while after it will reboot and it seems the error is DRIVER_STATE_POWER_FAILURE. I have run WinDbg with the following output: 0: kd> !analyze -v...
  10. putting laptop to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
    putting laptop to sleep: steps to put my Dell Laptop to sleep when I am finished for the dat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/putting-laptop-to-sleep/34898161-305a-4188-99a0-a59f33c640f5