Windows 10: Putting Windows 10 on C: drive and data on another?

Discus and support Putting Windows 10 on C: drive and data on another? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've only ever used one drive all my life. I am now going to be building my own computer with more than one drive (plus backup external drive). This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Madrona, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Madrona Win User

Putting Windows 10 on C: drive and data on another?

I've only ever used one drive all my life. I am now going to be building my own computer with more than one drive (plus backup external drive).

This may seem like a dumb question, but I was thinking of putting Windows 10 (and drivers) only on my C: drive, and then putting all my data on other drives. My question is, if my C: drive gets corrupted, does it affect any of the other drives? Or vice versa? And if I need to reinstall Windows on my C: drive, would all the data on my other drives still be intact?

Thanks.

:)

Madrona, Jun 18, 2020

2. Windows 10

its already there. there is a hard set factory image from samsung. problem is it takes a long time to get that backup into the drive again and destroys the C drive data.

so looks like i wont be trying windows 10 anytime soon *Stick Out Tongue Putting Windows 10 on C: drive and data on another? :p

de.das.dude, Jun 18, 2020
  3. No C: but D: drive has all the data

Hi Austin,

To help you with your concern regarding the data on the drive C:, you're seeing the drive "C:" as the drive "D:" because you're booting your computer outside Windows. When booting your computer outside Windows, the system is reading the recovery partition
    as drive C: and the data in the drive C: \ are listed on the drive D: \. Try to boot your computer and try to check again the data in the drive C: \ and see if the data are listed.

Regards.

Virfranz Man, Jun 18, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

GPT disk conversion for both data drives and C drive

Macrium Rescue disk can be used to convert from MBR to GPT and vice versa without doing a fresh install of Windows.

1. Download Rescue6.1.1081X64.iso - Google Drive and use Rufus to create a bootable USB disk. Skip this step if you've already created the Macrium Rescue disk.
    2. Download: BootEFI_Only-00-00.zip - Google Drive . Unzip to an external or an internal HD
      NOTE:
      This is a copy of the first 3 partitions of my current Windows 10 x64 (450MB Recovery, 100MB EFI and 16MB MSR)
    3. Boot up Macrium Rescue disk and create a backup of your current Windows to another internal/external HD. It serves 2 purposes: you'd have a backup of your current Windows in case things go wrong and then use it to restore the C drive on the next steps.
    4. Next, switch the BIOS to UEFI and use Macrium to restore the first 3 partitions downloaded in step 2 to your current MBR Windows. No need to convert or Format, Macrium will do it.
    5. Again with Macrium, select the backup image from step 3, and copy back the C drive after the 3 partitions.
      After this step, you should have: 450MB, 100MB, 16MB and C drive (GPT partition scheme)
    6. From Macrium, click on Fix the Windows Boot Problems
    7. Reboot. Your Windows should be in UEFI mode.

topgundcp, Jun 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Putting Windows 10 on C: drive and data on another? - Similar Threads - Putting drive data

2. Copy C: to another Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy C: to another Drive: I need to COPY only the Contents Partition itself to a Drive on a Second PC - NOT the EFI System Partition.Can anyone please assist me here. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-c-to-another-drive/179e6a35-ab88-4d96-ad9e-e32ad2a43e27
  3. Copy C: to another Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy C: to another Drive: I need to COPY only the Contents Partition itself to a Drive on a Second PC - NOT the EFI System Partition.Can anyone please assist me here. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/copy-c-to-another-drive/179e6a35-ab88-4d96-ad9e-e32ad2a43e27
  4. Copy C: to another Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Format C Drive To Save Data

Format C Drive To Save Data: If i format my c drive to keep my files, i know apps will be deleted and microsoft C++ visual will deleted as well. After format C drive, can i reinstall all microsoft c++ visual versions like all redistributable versions and recent windows update? And is my game files still...
  6. Windows 10...moving files from C: to another drive

Windows 10...moving files from C: to another drive: My C: drive is relatively small, and I have a huge D: drive that is unused. What files/groups can I move safely from C to D without losing the support of Windows 10 updates?...
  7. Put a C Drive into anouther PC to get user data and now that windows account is unable to...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Put a C Drive into anouther PC to get user data and now that windows account is unable to...: I made a real doozy here. I get a message that says "unable to sign into account. Signed into TEMP account. Ect.." Iv tried removing the .bak from the account file and removing password required from one of the shorter accounts? Per a YouTube suggestion both thing revert...
  8. Transfer data from DVD to C: drive in Windows 10

Transfer data from DVD to C: drive in Windows 10: How do I transfer data files from a DVD to C: drive in Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-data-from-dvd-to-c-drive-in-windows-10/cb3526c9-a936-4382-857c-6f3f7d040d20
  9. C: drive and DATA drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C: drive and DATA drive: So I have had my current computer for a little while now, and I just now... I know silly me. Discovered a 1.8TB hard drive and its called DATA and I really would like to shift my current install to that drive, but I do not now how, so I have decided to ask here. I have...
  10. Tiny C: drive, humungous 'Data' drive

Tiny C: drive, humungous 'Data' drive: Before the new update I started getting messages about low space, and I have a 1TB hard drive. So I started checking around, shocked that I was getting these messages. I found that my C: drive was less than 200GB and a 'Data' drive was over 900GB. How does this happen, and...