Windows 10: Puzzling spontaneous duplication of partitions and files.

Discus and support Puzzling spontaneous duplication of partitions and files. in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My machine was built by Novatec some 5 years ago and has proved to be a very competent PC running Windows 10 very comfortably, Yesterday I spotted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by silvertop, Jan 15, 2020.

1. silvertop Win User

Puzzling spontaneous duplication of partitions and files.

My machine was built by Novatec some 5 years ago and has proved to be a very competent PC running Windows 10 very comfortably,

Yesterday I spotted that every one of my partitions and the files within them were duplicated. If I create a new file and save it appropriately then an exact copy will appear as a duplicate. For example: If I create a new file and save it in say partition G whose title is "G" Images, that file will be duplicated precisely and saved in an exact duplicated partition titled "G" Images giving me 2 of everything.

I use EaseUS To Do backup as my scheduled backup tool and I installed version 12 in the past week. I wonder if that could be the cause of my odd problem?

:)

silvertop, Jan 15, 2020
  2. silvertop Win User

My machine was built by Novatec some 5 years ago and has proved to be a very competent PC running Windows 10 very comfortably,

Yesterday I spotted that every one of my partitions and the files within them were duplicated. If I create a new file and save it appropriately then an exact copy will appear as a duplicate. For example: If I create a new file and save it in say partition G whose title is "G" Images, that file will be duplicated precisely and saved in an exact duplicated partition titled "G" Images giving me 2 of everything.

I use EaseUS To Do backup as my scheduled backup tool and I installed version 12 in the past week. I wonder if that could be the cause of my odd problem?

silvertop, Jan 15, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User

Hi, perhaps you could post a screenshot of your partitions using a 3rd party partition manager. (Not Disk Management)
    What are you using when you see the partition duplicated?

To post a screenshot please use the icon above your post- 'Insert Image'

Installing the program shouldn't do anything unusual. Have you ever used it to restore partitions?
    Where do you save your image files?

dalchina, Jan 15, 2020
  4. Try3 Win User

And just to avoid misunderstandings, in addition to the screenshot dalchina asked for, would you please post screenshots of
    1 Whatever you are looking at that shows the duplication you described [I assume that will be File explorer]
    2 Disk management {I appreciate that third party utilities can give better info but I'd appreciate seeing Disk mgmt as well}. Be careful to widen the columns so all the data is shown.

By the way, MiniTool Partition Manager is a decent partition manager for you to install but make sure you follow the custom install option so you can avoid installing Avast at the same time.

Denis

Thema:

1. Puzzling spontaneous duplication of partitions and files. - Similar Threads - Puzzling spontaneous duplication

2. Duplicates found in Duplicate Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Duplicates found in Duplicate Files: I’m in the process of cleaning up my pictures. I scanned a folder of photos with Duplicate Photo Fixer Pro and found I had no duplicates. However, when I scanned that same folder with Duplicate Files through Windows 10 the program told me I had duplicates of many les. I’m...
  3. Duplicates found in Duplicate Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Duplicates found in Duplicate Files: I’m in the process of cleaning up my pictures. I scanned a folder of photos with Duplicate Photo Fixer Pro and found I had no duplicates. However, when I scanned that same folder with Duplicate Files through Windows 10 the program told me I had duplicates of many les. I’m...
  4. Duplicates found in Duplicate Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. duplicate files

duplicate files: there are several repeated files 'back up.....' each time I have to edit the files, is back up automatically, how stop this from happening ?I just the main file. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-files/05631872-2ccc-4b6e-9b6f-c1a9e3cde954
  6. duplicate files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    duplicate files: there are several repeated files 'back up.....' each time I have to edit the files, is back up automatically, how stop this from happening ?I just the main file. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-files/05631872-2ccc-4b6e-9b6f-c1a9e3cde954
  7. duplicate files

duplicate files: This is a puzzler. Apple tech couldn't figure it out. Itunes for Windows shows many duplicate songs in my Music folder. Too many to delete individually. So I tried not one but six different duplicate file finder apps. None could find duplicates. They are there. I can see them...
  8. Duplicate files

Duplicate files: How can I eliminate many duplicate files designated xyz.copy? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-files/8fd19e65-5ec6-400f-b05a-01a06ca15db2
  9. spontaneous encryption of MANY files...

spontaneous encryption of MANY files...: This is the most nefarious and upsetting experience I have had with Windows 10, to date. I noticed today 8/15/20 that a directory containing all types of files have suddenly become encrypted. I noticed that I could not access more and more files. I checked file properties...
  10. Duplicate files

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate files: I have recently noted that many files with different extensions have bee duplicated and given an extended file extension name including a "~" and 8 letters and/or numbers e.g. *.txt~ABC4DE6F. Can anyone explain this and how I should act. If ther are temporary backups why are...