Windows 10: Pwd asked after mapping on Windows 10 (to access to smb linux share)

Discus and support Pwd asked after mapping on Windows 10 (to access to smb linux share) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I use SMB 1 to share folder to a school, when I was on Windows 7 the share worked perfectly (when the computer startup the mapping was operating... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Akosh, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Akosh Win User

Pwd asked after mapping on Windows 10 (to access to smb linux share)

Hi,

I use SMB 1 to share folder to a school, when I was on Windows 7 the share worked perfectly (when the computer startup the mapping was operating and after that we accessed to all the shared folder directly), but now that I use Windows 10 (first I've to enable SMB 1) it ask login and password to access to shared folder (at least 1 time after the startup).
    I have no idea why I have this problem.

Thanks you ! *Smile

:)

Akosh, Jul 10, 2019

2. Problem connecting to SMB Share on Linux server with Windows 10

Hello All,

Recently my Windows 10 laptop no longer sees the SMB shares on my Unraid 6 server, everything was working fine until a week or so ago. Other Windows 7 machines on the same network have no problem seeing or connecting to the same SMB shares. I did some searching
    on the Web and it was suggested that you try to sign into the computer with a local account rather than a Microsoft account but that did not help. I also tried the registry edit suggested in this post:

https://www.schkerke.com/wps/2015/06/windows-10-unable-to-connect-to-samba-shares/

This did not help either, I am currently running Windows 10 Home 64 bit on an Asus UX305LB laptop and my last update was KB3093266, I believe I was able to connect to the SMB shares for a while after the update. It's pretty important that I be able to connect
    to the server as I use it to backup the computer, thanks in advance.

DavidMcJunkin, Jul 10, 2019
  3. SMB file servers keep asking for credentials

I have both Windows 10 SMB and Linux Samba file servers. The share permissions are:

• browsable (Linux) / turn on file and printer sharing (Windows)
    • guest ok (Linux) / turn off password protected sharing (Windows)
    • Appropriate file system level permissions on both servers (not really matters here)
    Most of the time, using a Windows 10 client to connect to the shared folder is straight forward, just \\my-server and
    it is fine. But sometimes, it keep asking for credentials for unknown reason.

Pwd asked after mapping on Windows 10 (to access to smb linux share) 83de1903-dd22-4fab-b664-a2570faccf3d?upload=true.png

It won't connect if I leave all fields blank. Sometimes I need to type a random user account with a blank password, and sometimes both a random account plus a random password to pass that stupid prompt. Linux
    clients do not suffer from that issue, at least by using smb://my-server on Ubuntu's Nautilus and select Connect anonymously.

To make the problem worse, let's say I have a shared printer on the server. After a client provides a random user + password, he can connect to the server and use the shared printer. After a few days, he suddenly
    cannot print using the previously added printer, until he tries to connect and provides a random user + password again (the printer does not need to be re-added). Looks like the junk user + password time out after a few days (even if you do check Remember
    my credentials
    ).

The issue occurs randomly. What could be the cause of the problem?

Livy Inverse, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Glubbish. Win User

problem accessing smb shares from windows 10

With network discovery on, my ubuntu machine is found (named kodi).

If I check on kodi in the network section of file explorer, it shows my shares.

If I doubleclick on one of the shares, a slow green line crosses the top of the screen and eventually gives the 0x800704cf

If I dont touch this popup, then I can access the share normally.

If I cancel or diagnose (which finds nothing) it is not available.

However if I enter \\ip-address at the top of file explorer it finds the shares and they are immediately accessible.

Also if I turn network discovery off, and type \\kodi at the top of file explorer, it works just like using the IP address

I figure this has something to do with dns, but cannot get network discovery to work properly

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Its only been an issue since the upgrade to windows 10.

Method 1: Run the Network Adapter troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Network Adapter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

The issue persists following method 1.

Method 2: Update driver manually.

I suggest you to update the Graphic driver from the Device Manager and check if it works.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on Start button and click on Device Manager.
    • Extend Network adapters driver from the list.
    • Right click on the Network driver and click on Update driver Software.

Method 2 shows that the driver is up to date.

Glubbish., Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Pwd asked after mapping on Windows 10 (to access to smb linux share) - Similar Threads - Pwd asked mapping

2. SMB file share Mapped drive Issue on file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SMB file share Mapped drive Issue on file explorer: Hello Everyone,I hope your doing well,We have setup an Azure File share for one of my department, and i used the identity based access on it there are three options we can use to achieve this So i went with 3rd option called Microsoft Entra Kerboros which is working fine and...
  3. SMB file share Mapped drive Issue on file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SMB file share Mapped drive Issue on file explorer: Hello Everyone,I hope your doing well,We have setup an Azure File share for one of my department, and i used the identity based access on it there are three options we can use to achieve this So i went with 3rd option called Microsoft Entra Kerboros which is working fine and...
  4. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  5. Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't connect to SMB share, Windows cannot access: I use my NAS for backups truenas, with an SMB share. I reset my PC recently and added it like normal. Worked fine. However, after a day it stopped working and I was unable to connect to it. Now when I try to connect to it I get this:It works fine on my laptop^ Before the...
  6. Access to file shares SMB, mapping drive on Win10 machine, getting intermittent error :-...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to file shares SMB, mapping drive on Win10 machine, getting intermittent error :-...: Access to file shares SMB, mapping drive on Win10 machine, getting intermittent error :- Invalid Drive Disconnect the network drive, then re-map it and it works ?!Any ideas why it is doing this on various Win10 machines, either in the Office or Working from Home....
  7. Losing SMB 1.0 mapping after 20H1

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Losing SMB 1.0 mapping after 20H1: I have an older NAS that I use for backups on my network. It uses SMB 1.0. Before the newest update I never had issues accessing it. Now, every time I restart my PC and try to access it I get "The specified network name is no longer available" and I map the drive again. I do...
  8. Win 10 Asks for Pwd after Update - Never had any pwd

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Win 10 Asks for Pwd after Update - Never had any pwd: Hi Team, About a few weeks back, a Win 10 update installed on my laptop. I have never had a password on my laptop and always hit enter in the login screen. I have tried 'Reset Password' option on the screen and it asks for 3 questions which I have never set so unable to get...
  9. Unable to access SMB file sharing

Unable to access SMB file sharing: Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder. Please advise Thanks...
  10. Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN

Cannot access SMB shares via Windows VPN: Hi, I have set up a VPN on my server at home. I am not using a domain. I can ping IP's on the network I am connected to and access things like my router using a local IP address. I can't however access any of my mapped drives. I've tried allowing all SMB rules in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1903 no longer sees samba shares