Windows 10: Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

Discus and support Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My current setup involves 3 hard drives:\C: for windows and HDD1, HDD2 for archival purposes.I'd like to expand it into a dual-boot system, to have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LorenzoDentamaro, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

My current setup involves 3 hard drives:\C: for windows and HDD1, HDD2 for archival purposes.I'd like to expand it into a dual-boot system, to have a fresh and compatible windows install on a separate new ssd for audio production and keep the original one for general use of the pc. I would also like to add yet another hdd for archival purposes.Now, I think I'm able to setup the dual-boot.What confuses me is how to manage and assign my many drives to each OS installation.I can sum up what I'd like to end up with like this:-C: Original Windows Install -D: Hard Drive 1 -E: Hard Driv

:)

LorenzoDentamaro, Nov 14, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives

There are some misleading information in this thread.
    1. Unlike Legacy MBR BIOS. When running Windows using GPT style partition, The UEFI firmware will update the boot configuration accordingly.
    2. For each Windows using GPT with separate EFI System partition, You will have a separate "Windows Boot Manager" ie. you will have one for Windows 7 and one for Windows 10.
      NOTE: You must first connect the SSD/HD then restart or turn off the PC then turn on the PC for UEFI firmware to update the boot configuration.

There is nothing wrong with your Windows 7/10 booting. You just need to set your UEFI firmware to point to the correct "Windows Boot manager" and and set the SSD/HD to be the first boot device. Or using the Boot Menu for a one time boot.

It is hard to visualize how it works. So here's some screen shot from my PC.
    From Disk Management: I have 2 Windows installed, 1 on disk 0 (Connect to Sata 0) and the other on disk 3 (Connect to Sata 5). On disk 2, I have 2 WinPE's (WinPE does not have Windows Boot Manager)

Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management [​IMG]

For one time boot from boot menu, I just have to select which one to boot from. Note that the 2 "Windows Boot Manager" associated to 2 different SSD ID's. #1 is for Windows on Disk 0, #2 is for Windows on Disk 3. #3 &#4 are for 2 WinPE's

For normal boot. On the next 3 screens, you'd have to select which "Windows Boot Manager" to boot from and also the appropriate SSD/HD.

NOTE: The GUI on my MB looks different from your MB but all options are there. In addition, If you disconnect your HD (Windows 10) then you would have to go back and reset the boot order again.

topgundcp, Nov 14, 2021
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Formatting a dual boot system with windows 10 and ubuntu

Hi,

In Windows 10, you can easily format a hard drive or a partition by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Nov 14, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Nov 14, 2021
Thema:

Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

1. Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management - Similar Threads - Dual boot system

2. Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing one of two separate hard drives from a dual booted system: Hello,I have searched the web for an answer to this question, but have not been able to find one one I can understand. I am not a Tech Guy by any means. I have a Dell Precision 1600 Desk Top Great Machine. Some years back I added a SAMSUNG 500GB SSD. I think I cloned the...
  3. Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management: My current setup involves 3 hard drives:\C: for windows and HDD1, HDD2 for archival purposes.I'd like to expand it into a dual-boot system, to have a fresh and compatible windows install on a separate new ssd for audio production and keep the original one for general use of...
  4. Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Q: Dual-boot system and hard drive management: My current setup involves 3 hard drives:\C: for windows and HDD1, HDD2 for archival purposes.I'd like to expand it into a dual-boot system, to have a fresh and compatible windows install on a separate new ssd for audio production and keep the original one for general use of...
  5. Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 Dual Boot Different Hard Drives?: Hi all, I have two seperate SSDs and I would like to install two seperate win10 for dual boot. I do not want to parition part of one hard drive and have both windows on one ssd. Ive tried searching but can only find articles on dual boot seperate ssd with Windows and linux....
  6. Lost dual boot with two hard drives

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lost dual boot with two hard drives: ***Modify title from: LOST dual booting function on TWO HD desktop and lost ability to run Win 10 PRO.*** Two HD Desktop was working fine and upon start-up showed option to run Win10 PRO (located on a 1 TB hard drive) or run Windows Vista Ultimate (located on another 1 TB...
  7. Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives: Issue: after installing Windows 10 UEFI on Hard drive, I can't boot anymore on Windows 7 UEFI (SSD). My main system, W7 UEFI, is on a SSD. I would like to have a backup system on a different drive (HD) in case my SSD fails so I can be up and running without losing any...
  8. Dual booting on seperate hard drives?

Dual booting on seperate hard drives?: Not sure where this was supposed to go sorry in advance, I want to dual boot windows 7 and windows 10 on 2 seperate hard drives is it possible? 16808
  9. Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives

Dual booting with 2 seperate hard drives: Hi, have hp laptop in which I have installed seperately 2 hard drive which runs Windows 10 Proff. And Windows 7 Proff. These have to be installed to the same bay, independently, when they will be recognised. Recently I obtained another dvd drive bay in which I installed the...
  10. No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10)

No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 & 10): Today I installed Windows 10 on my machine (ASUS N55SF laptop) for the first time on a separate hard drive. Now I have Windows 7 on my main hard drive and Windows 10 on my new drive (the latter being an SSD one). After installing Windows 10, I got a new boot option in my BIOS...