Windows 10: Quandary - Get New Desktop or Re-install Win10 in My Dual Boot System?

Discus and support Quandary - Get New Desktop or Re-install Win10 in My Dual Boot System? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Win10 got corrupted on an update a couple of years ago. Can't repair it, can't even access it. So I just ordered a Win10 DVD with product key. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rvnmedic68, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Quandary - Get New Desktop or Re-install Win10 in My Dual Boot System?

My Win10 got corrupted on an update a couple of years ago. Can't repair it, can't even access it. So I just ordered a Win10 DVD with product key.

The desktop PC is now 8 years old with legacy Bios, etc. I'm thinking of installing the Win10 OS to replace the corrupted one and then get a new desktop PC. I can use the old one for other purposes until it dies.

The HDD is a dual-boot with the bad Win10 and Linux Mint 18.1 I've read through Shawn Brink's tutorial on doing a clean install of Win10 and some other threads. I just want to make sure that the new Win10 DVD only replaces the bad Win10 partition(s) and doesn't affect the Linux partitions. Also want to downsize the Win10 partition to free up space for the Linux OS for a restore function.

Here's the HDD partitions:

Quandary - Get New Desktop or Re-install Win10 in My Dual Boot System? [​IMG]

I think Win10 is on Partition 3. I welcome opinions on whether to get a new PC or just press on with the old one. Thanks.

[Tomcat F18 helped me with the partition issue previously but now not sure which path to take based on my message above]

:)

rvnmedic68, Aug 18, 2019

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Aug 18, 2019
  3. How to Clone 'dual boot' Win7/Win10 HDD to new SSD

Hi Jackos,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to create a system image of Win7/Win10 and apply it to SSD.

To create system image on Windows 10 follow the below steps.

• Type File history in the search area on the taskbar and select File history.
    • Click on System image backup on the left bottom corner of the Window file history Window.
    • Click on Create System Image on the left panel of the System Image backup windows.
    • Select the driver, where you want to create system Image.
    • Follow on screen instruction.
    If you want to perform a dual boot you can refer to the below link and check if it helps:

How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Other Versions of Windows, macOS and Linux

Please let us know if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Aug 18, 2019
  4. LewisAM Win User

Quandary - Get New Desktop or Re-install Win10 in My Dual Boot System?

Dual Boot Win10 & Win8.1

I setup a dual boot system for Win10 and Win8.1 because I need to run software for a client that is not Win10 compliant. But after the installation of Win10 it says that it is not activated. How do I activate the Win10 system?

LewisAM, Aug 18, 2019
Thema:

Quandary - Get New Desktop or Re-install Win10 in My Dual Boot System?

1. Quandary - Get New Desktop or Re-install Win10 in My Dual Boot System? - Similar Threads - Quandary Desktop install

2. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  3. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem: Hi all, I acquired a new laptop about 6 months ago and want to add Win10 as a dual boot option but I keep hitting a point where I need a little clarity but have not been able to find any discussion on the subject.I follow all the instructions set out in this and other...
  4. Dual boot Win10/Win11 system install problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Re-Install system on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-Install system on new SSD.: I am going to have to install Win 10 on a new SSD in my current system. I am assuming that a recovery disk will get me to the point that I can download the rest of Win 10 again. If not I am in trouble. Is there any reason my current registration key would not work ?...
  6. Re-Install system on new SSD.

Re-Install system on new SSD.: I am going to have to install Win 10 on a new SSD in my current system. I am assuming that a recovery disk will get me to the point that I can download the rest of Win 10 again. If not I am in trouble. Is there any reason my current registration key would not work ?...
  7. Win10 Install For Dual Boot Partition Problem

Win10 Install For Dual Boot Partition Problem: I'm trying to do a clean install of Win10 on my Win7 desktop using Unallocated Space on the HDD. I thought I could have up to 4 Primary partitions, but I get this error when I try to select it. Any ideas? 146516
  8. Win10 died on dual boot system, reset fails

Win10 died on dual boot system, reset fails: I have my HP Pavilion laptop configured as a dual boot system with Windows 10 and Kubuntu Linux. It had been working fine for several months. But something went wrong during a Win10 update, and now Win10 won't run at all. (Kubuntu is fine.) When it starts it finds errors,...
  9. Win10 dual boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 dual boot: Hey there I want some help with my dual boot.i have windows 10 and windows xp installed in my laptop and I want to see the boot choice menu before windows 10 load.Now windows 10 is loading first and give me the choice of Os,for that reason if I choose windows xp my laptop...
  10. How to install on a dual boot system?

How to install on a dual boot system?: I have two systems. System 1 is a desktop running W7 Premium SP1. I did clean install of W10 from iso on separate partition. W10 will not activate using W7 numbers. I suspect that is because I moved W7 to an SSD 6 mos. ago and W10 expects the old HDD. BTW, installed W10 to...