Windows 10: Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives

Discus and support Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a few External Disk Drives and I have allocated fixed drive letters to each of them. Unfortunately, a few of them failed, or were given away,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ReyKenobi, Jan 25, 2021.

1. ReyKenobi Win User

Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives

I have a few External Disk Drives and I have allocated fixed drive letters to each of them. Unfortunately, a few of them failed, or were given away, etc., and I am left in a bit of a messy state where I keep allocating the next alphabetical letter to any new drives, while some of the older fixed drive letter allocations are now null and void.

Is there a way in Windows 10 to know what drives (hopefully with volume labels) were allocated to what drive letters without having to mount each and every external drive I have.

I know that registry keeps a record of this in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices, but I have no way to make head or tails of the binary info in there.

Any help pointing me in the right direction will be awesome.

:)

ReyKenobi, Jan 25, 2021
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 25, 2021
  3. External Hard Drive "is not accessible"

Hi Ridhwan,

Sorry for the delayed response. Let me continue to assist you further.

The issue here could have been due to fact that the Drive I:\ is encrypted or a flush drive. This forces the computer to not recognize the format and displays the error message. I suggest here to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows Key + letter 'X.'
    • Choose 'Disk Management.'
    • Right click on the External drive and select 'Change Drive letter and Path names.'
    • Rename the drive letter i.e. remove letter I and say you replace it with letter
      J.
    • Restart the computer and check the issue status.

Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arvind Ram, Jan 25, 2021
  4. Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives

External Hard drive is not dectected in file explorer.

Hi Josh,

As you are facing issue with
    External Hard Drive, we would assist you for sure.

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details.

• What is the make and model of the external hard drive?

• Do you receive any error message related to the issue?

• Have you assigned a drive letter for the external drive?

You might be facing the above issue due to the unallocated letter for the drive. Unallocated drives are those whose drive letters are not allocated when initially partitioned or after formatting. You will be able to view
    the drive on your PC if you have allocated a drive name for the partition created. The drive will not be visible on the PC if you do not allocate a drive letter or a drive name.

The issue may also occur due to some of the system components conflicting with Windows 10 operating system on the PC.

OR

The issue that you face might be due to some of the Windows 10 hardware related files either going missing or corrupt. So, please follow the below basic methods to troubleshoot.

Method 1: Running the troubleshooter will help in detecting and identifying the issue and in certain cases will
    fix to enhance the performance of the system. I suggest you to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows
      logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooter and select the top most search result.

• Click on View all
      from left side panel of the screen.

• Select Hardware and Devices,
      click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.

• Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.

• After troubleshooting is completed, check for the status, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

Method 2:
    I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows
      + X keys and click on Disk Management.

• Right click on the external drive and click on
      Change Drive letter and paths.

• Click on Change
      the button.

• Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.

• Click Ok to save changes.

Hope this helps. If the issue persists, please do let us know and we would be happy to help you further.

Thank You.

Vidyashree_C, Jan 25, 2021
Thema:

Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives

1. Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives - Similar Threads - Query allocating fixed

2. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  3. External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External Drive Keeps Skipping Drive Letter E and Showing Drive Letter F - Disk Management...: Hi everyone,I'm facing an ongoing issue with my external SSD, as it consistently skips drive letter E and defaults to drive letter F every time I connect it to my computer. Despite attempting to fix it through Disk Management and changing the drive letter back to E, it only...
  4. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  5. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  6. Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Query about allocating fixed Drive Letters to External Disk Drives: I have a few External Disk Drives and I have allocated fixed drive letters to each of them. Unfortunately, a few of them failed, or were given away, etc., and I am left in a bit of a messy state where I keep allocating the next alphabetical letter to any new drives, while...
  7. About accessing the external hard disk drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    About accessing the external hard disk drive: I found a similar problem that has faced by @raymond_962 had but I have completely recovered from that problem. Now I would like to describe that solution to your people so that it will be beneficial for every person who had that problem before. By the way, the solution that...
  8. Is there a way to designate a fixed drive letter to an external disk I frequesntly detatch...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Is there a way to designate a fixed drive letter to an external disk I frequesntly detatch...: Hi Gurus, I have invested in a portable SSD drive which I use for backups. I plugg it in and when the backup is done I remove it again. I could off course have the drive attached att all times but as an increase in security I would like to remove it to keep the backup safe....
  9. Stop/Block the allocation of drive letter(s)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stop/Block the allocation of drive letter(s): I want to be able to block the allocation/use of particular drive letters when external (USB) devices are attached. For example, I never want my computer to have an E or F drive. I can remember back in the dim distant past of a program TweakUI Powertoy for Windows XP/7...
  10. Disk allocation and Drive permissions

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk allocation and Drive permissions: Why do I get this error message and how can I resolve it? Error message reads: Unable to create record files for one or more tracks. Check your disk allocation and drive permissions." I have just purchased a Focusrite interface, downloaded the relevant software, but every...