Windows 10: Query - Motherboard Issues, should I buy a new Windows or upgrade to Pro

Discus and support Query - Motherboard Issues, should I buy a new Windows or upgrade to Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So the issue is this, I have had my computer for just over two years. The motherboard is giving me issues, at first it was sound issues, now it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Nerioth, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Nerioth Win User

Query - Motherboard Issues, should I buy a new Windows or upgrade to Pro

So the issue is this, I have had my computer for just over two years. The motherboard is giving me issues, at first it was sound issues, now it's intermittently freezing. Like controls/screen freezes for like 5 seconds, drops internet than starts again. I will be getting a different motherboard. The problem is the Windows is an OEM home. I was wondering if it's possible to upgrade from OEM home to Pro and if this would allow the use of a different motherboard or if I have to actually just buy a new windows.

Motherboard in question -

MSI Enthusiast Gaming AMD X470 Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 Onboard Graphics SLI ATX Motherboard

Thanks

:)

Nerioth, Dec 27, 2020

2. Buying new motherboard do I need to buy Windows 10 again?

well i thinking to get upgrade and buy better motherboard and cpu. i bought new windows 10 Pro 64 dvd OEM

question is if i will decide to buy new motherboard and cpu. do i will have to buy windows 10 again?

MaciejMantaj, Dec 27, 2020
  3. mshimala Win User
    Windows saying not activated after motherboard upgrade

Hi,

I recently upgraded some PC parts (new motherboard, RAM, processor, video card) and ever since then I have a watermark in the bottom right of my display reading "Activate Windows - Go to Settings to activate Windows."

I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 back when they were allowing Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 10. I don't remember receiving an activation key during this upgrade.

I've read online that installing a new motherboard can occasionally cause issues with OS activation. How can I reactivate my Windows without having to purchase Windows 10.

Some things to note:
    • This watermark was not there prior to installing the new motherboard
    • As some places (and a Microsoft Tech Support member) suggested, typing the query "wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey" into CMD just returns with "OA3xOriginalProductKey". The Microsoft Support member seemed confused by this and said there was nothing further she could do.

Thanks!

mshimala, Dec 27, 2020
  4. Query - Motherboard Issues, should I buy a new Windows or upgrade to Pro

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ading-to/a26e93c4-6886-4b44-99cf-7bf49ccba6ee

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

Query - Motherboard Issues, should I buy a new Windows or upgrade to Pro

1. Query - Motherboard Issues, should I buy a new Windows or upgrade to Pro - Similar Threads - Query Motherboard Issues

2. upgrade or buy new

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    upgrade or buy new: Hi can i upgrade my Dynabook-Toshiba Satellite C855-1HL so it will use windows 11 and run quicker or buy a new one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-buy-new/831e117b-bfa2-4bf4-ac79-18ab45de64e3
  3. upgrade or buy new

in Windows 10 Gaming
    upgrade or buy new: Hi can i upgrade my Dynabook-Toshiba Satellite C855-1HL so it will use windows 11 and run quicker or buy a new one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-or-buy-new/831e117b-bfa2-4bf4-ac79-18ab45de64e3
  4. Buying a motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Buying a motherboard.: Hello I want to ask if I can buy a motherboard which an OEM windows 10 key is tied to it. Is it legal for me to reactivate the windows knowing that the seller will give me the key.Thanks in advance....
  5. Buying a motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Buying a motherboard.: Hello I want to ask if I can buy a motherboard which an OEM windows 10 key is tied to it. Is it legal for me to reactivate the windows knowing that the seller will give me the key.Thanks in advance....
  6. Upgraded, not activated, which product should I buy?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgraded, not activated, which product should I buy?: Hi People and thanks for taking the time to read and help, My problem is ... I currently live in China and I bought a Dell G7, obviously the OS was in Chinese. I couldn't change the language to English as i needed to update to pro. I didn't check to see if the product...
  7. Windows 7 pro upgrade query

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 7 pro upgrade query: We have win 7 pro in our organization which is legitimate and we want to upgrade them to windows 10 pro , is that option available at this point ? If so, how do we upgrade them to windows 10 ? Is that option available from wsus server or group policy ?...
  8. Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    Should I upgrade what I have or buy a whole new PC?: Hello Should I buy a new PC or upgrade what I have? USE: I use my PC for web design, graphics (Photoshop/Xara etc), some 3D design and general purpose business. I would like a higher resolution monitor (4K??) with reasonably accurate colours for web/graphic design....
  9. How should I buy Windows 7 Pro 64?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How should I buy Windows 7 Pro 64?: Hey! Might be building a new game machine for myself and was wondering what the cheapest way would be to get the Windows 10 Pro 64bit free upgrade? Like where should I buy? Can you just buy an Activation Key somewhere for Windows 7 Pro 64 and install the upgrade and enter the...
  10. No issue is Windows 10 but should I upgrade to new build

in Windows 10 Support
    No issue is Windows 10 but should I upgrade to new build: I am having free Windows 10 64 bit version 1511 Build 10586 which I got by upgrading my Windows 7 and is having no problem at present. Should I upgrade to new Build if any has come and if yes then why and how to upgrade? 54084