Windows 10: Question about a file in two places... or not.

Discus and support Question about a file in two places... or not. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've always assumed that any Windows file can be in two folder locations at the same time using the same file name, but I just noticed something... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Electrojim, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Question about a file in two places... or not.

I've always assumed that any Windows file can be in two folder locations at the same time using the same file name, but I just noticed something strange and wonder what's going on.

If I send an email message using my Windows Live Mail client and attached a Word .doc file, the original .doc is still in its normal folder location; that is, what's attached to the email is essentially a copy of the original .doc. I can send the mail and all is well, the original remains in its proper folder. BUT if I attach the .doc and then slide it out of the mail program onto the Desktop, the original disappears. Luckily it was there on the Desktop and I simply put it back in the folder, but why would attaching it to the mail, and then removing it to another location (Desktop) remove the original from its normal location?

:)

Electrojim, Oct 29, 2018

2. In-place Repair Question

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

Yes, It may effect the system 32 files and other saved data.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1:

Perform System File Check (SFC), and then check if this fixes the issue.

Follow the steps:

a. Press “Windows Key + Q” to open Charms Bar.

b. Type cmd without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

Note: It may ask for windows installation DVD to fix and to enable SFC to make more than minor repairs. Some files saved on your computer might get deleted when fixing corrupted files.

Step 2:

I would also suggest you to run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click command prompt (Run as administrator).
    • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press
      Enter key after each command:
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type
    Exit, and then press Enter.

Reply us back with the update of the issue to assist you further.

Akheel Ahmed, Oct 29, 2018
  3. pyramid10 Win User
    Extracting Zip Files

Are the step-by-step processes identical? That is, the folder extracted from and the folder extracted to belong to the same hierarchical file system structure. If they are, that suggests mildly the Cumulative Update left an electron or two out of place.

pyramid10, Oct 29, 2018
  4. Question about a file in two places... or not.

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Have you tried the following? how to disable "recent places" in MS Word? - Super User

jaamulberry, Oct 29, 2018
Thema:

Question about a file in two places... or not.

1. Question about a file in two places... or not. - Similar Threads - Question file places

2. Two questions about upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two questions about upgrading to Windows 11: What does these two things mean?1. This PC must support Secure Boot2. TPM 2.0 must be supported. I looked on bing and confused myself even more https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-questions-about-upgrading-to-windows-11/d3a051db-cca3-4b13-961b-d1e64ee135ae
  3. Two questions about upgrading to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two questions about upgrading to Windows 11: What does these two things mean?1. This PC must support Secure Boot2. TPM 2.0 must be supported. I looked on bing and confused myself even more https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-questions-about-upgrading-to-windows-11/d3a051db-cca3-4b13-961b-d1e64ee135ae
  4. Questions about performing an in place upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions about performing an in place upgrade: The In Place Upgrade method is something Ive been reading up on but haven't tried as yet. Im interested in getting feedback from others who use the in place upgrade method. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html The same...
  5. Question About a File in Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question About a File in Windows: I Found A file in C/users/<username>/appdata/local named recently-used.xbel Whats This Can u please tell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-a-file-in-windows/e9500079-af96-4dda-88a4-0483da26e62c
  6. Two Questions About AMD 5700 Series

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Two Questions About AMD 5700 Series: After eight years I am in the process of putting together a new Ryzen 3rd Gen system. I have all the parts except monitor and video card. I have been well aware of the issues concerning the 5700 cards but since the release of the Adrenalin 20.2.2 these issues have been...
  7. Question about two processes in task manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about two processes in task manager: Updated Windows 10 awhile, and while scrolling through my task manager to end several resource intensive processes, I found two processes I've never seen before and would like to know if these are indeed legitimate, or if they might be a virus of some kind or if it may cause...
  8. Two questions about activating Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Two questions about activating Windows 10: Good day all, First of all, sorry if this has been posted countless of times before but I couldn't find an answer that specifically suited my situation. In 2015, I have upgraded my Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10. After that, I did a clean install of Windows 10 and was...
  9. Question about file explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about file explorer: Have recently opgraded from Windows 7 to windows 10. Most works fine, except the new file explorer. When I open a map, in the navigation panel on the left side, I have a list of maps, files, quick access, libraries, network links, recent maps and files etc etc. What I...
  10. Two questions about the Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Two questions about the Media Creation Tool: Good day all, Sorry if this has been answered before. Here are my questions: 1. When I use the Media Creation Tool from the official Microsoft link (https://www.microsoft.com/nl-nl/soft...5-8e96988880a4) will it download the Windows 10 ISO that includes the Anniversary...