Windows 10: Question about activating Windows 10 License with a local account

Discus and support Question about activating Windows 10 License with a local account in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I currently have a local account on my newly built PC. I have never previously and do not want to link my Microsoft account to my PC. If I activate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/VarokSaurfang, Jan 9, 2020.

1. Question about activating Windows 10 License with a local account

I currently have a local account on my newly built PC. I have never previously and do not want to link my Microsoft account to my PC. If I activate Windows 10 now on my local account, what happens to my key? Can I add my Microsoft account later to back up the key to my account in case I change hardware or computers in the future? Up until now I had an OEM key on a laptop so I never had to connect my Microsoft account.

In the settings there is an option to add my Microsoft account but I would have to sacrifice my local account and use my Microsoft password to sign in. Is there any other way to do this like adding the key to my account inside a browser without having to lose my local account?

Lastly, if I need to add a Microsoft account, does it matter if I add it before or after activating my license? I want to ensure that this license stays attached to my account. Thanks!

submitted by /u/VarokSaurfang
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/VarokSaurfang, Jan 9, 2020

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Local vs Network user accounts

I just did a VM install, just to verify that I don't speak total crap.

Steps I took:

1. Installed Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15063.0
    2. Entered the License Key
    3. Created a local account
    4. Went to accounts and added my Microsoft account
    5. Let Windows use this account for all apps
    6. Checked status on Microsoft account web page.
    7. Verified that the VM shows up there
    8. deleted my VM locally
    9. created a new VM installation without entering the License Key (on same VM but totally new Virtual disk)
    10. re-did steps 3-7
    11. verified that my VM is activated.

And indeed it is activated and I login to my VM using local account which is linked to my MS account. Question about activating Windows 10 License with a local account :)

Should I create a Video of this or do you trust my word on it? Or better yet test it yourself if you have a valid license key you can waste on a VM.

slicendice, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Kursah Win User

Question about activating Windows 10 License with a local account

Loophole Lets You Freely Upgrade to Windows 10 After Offer Expiry

If you upgrade your 7 install to 10, which is worth it IMHO, make sure you link to a Microsoft Account. Otherwise you might not be able to easily regain the key if they block using 7 keys in the future.

You don't need to use the Microsoft account as your profile on so you can still bypass logging in at setup and creating a local account. All you gotta do to link your 10 account to your MS install (if you choose not to use your MS account as your profile), is to simply do the following:

• Click Start
    • Click Settings
    • Click Update and Security
    • Click Activation
    • As or with Admin permissions, click Add Account
    • Login with MS Account credentials.
    Then you should see a message that reads:

More info: Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License , Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license - gHacks Tech News

Kursah, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

Question about activating Windows 10 License with a local account

1. Question about activating Windows 10 License with a local account - Similar Threads - Question activating License

2. A question about licenses

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A question about licenses: Well I do often format my pc when needed ( long time no clean for example ) or when i change a core Pc component like motherboard or CPU. This time i haven't formatted my pc but changed motherboard and cpu and seems that suddenly that i do not own a windows license because...
  3. Question About Account Activity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question About Account Activity: I can't seem to find where to send this question to Microsoft. I keep going in documentation loops so I'll post it here: I got an email recently that said there was a request for a code to sign into my account and I don't remember making that request. It said something like...
  4. Question About Account Activity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question About Account Activity: I can't seem to find where to send this question to Microsoft. I keep going in documentation loops so I'll post it here: I got an email recently that said there was a request for a code to sign into my account and I don't remember making that request. It said something like...
  5. Question About Account Activity

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. A question about microsoft account linked windows license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question about microsoft account linked windows license: Hello! I want to install Windows 8.1 on my old laptop but will it use the license from my MS account when i log in? Thanks for the response....
  7. A question about windows License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A question about windows License: I had\have an Acer Office PC that originally came with Windows 8.1 that got upgraded to W10,I don't have a key and I'm guessing the license was tied to the motherboard.When I built my gaming PC I tied the license to my Microsoft account so I wouldn't have to buy a windows...
  8. Question about licenses and Microsoft accounts

Question about licenses and Microsoft accounts: If my system says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account", will it still reactivate if I reinstall without the MS account? submitted by /u/andrew_982_ [link] [comments]...
  9. Quick question about a local account username.

Quick question about a local account username.: If I set my username to, for example, HeyEveryone. Would it show up like that at the login screen and as a file name? Capital letters and all? Or does it make everything lowercase automatically? submitted by /u/SilentAssaultX [link] [comments]...
  10. Question about the license types and activation

Question about the license types and activation: My windows 10 activation is showing activated via digital license but i bought the box from a retailer and used the key which is in the card. I think it was even activated before i enter my product key but i entered it anyways again. (The pc was pre owned but i formatted the...