Windows 10: Question about adding boot critical drivers to an unattended install

Discus and support Question about adding boot critical drivers to an unattended install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Let's say that I have a storage driver that I need for the successful installation of Windows. During a manual installation of Windows I know that I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hsehestedt, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Question about adding boot critical drivers to an unattended install

Let's say that I have a storage driver that I need for the successful installation of Windows. During a manual installation of Windows I know that I can manually load additional drivers. However, if I want to perform an unattended install I'm assuming that I would need to inject this driver into my boot.wim. Is that correct?

My confusion is over what index I need to specify to add my driver. When I look at my boot.wim I see 2 possible indexes:

C:\Windows\system32>dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:c:\iso_files\sources\boot.wim

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.17763.1

Details for image : c:\iso_files\sources\boot.wim

Index : 1
    Name : Microsoft Windows PE (x64)
    Description : Microsoft Windows PE (x64)
    Size : 1,781,417,248 bytes

Index : 2
    Name : Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)
    Description : Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)
    Size : 1,941,119,642 bytes

The operation completed successfully.

Am I correct in assuming that for an unattended setup I need to inject the driver into the "Microsoft Windows Setup (x64)" which corresponds to index 2?

If this is the case could someone also just possibly clarify what the purpose of Index 1 (Microsoft Windows PE (x64)) is?

:)

hsehestedt, Nov 7, 2018
  2. CJCerny Win User

Laptop driver/reformat question

This is excellent advice. Writing down the list of installed devices prior to re-formatting will save you a lot of heartache. With that list, you won't have to try to figure out exactly which wireless card or web cam driver you need since there will likely be several to choose from.

CJCerny, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Critical Process Died adding printer

it's not an issue with an installed printer. adding printer 'not on the list' via IP causes hangup 'Critical Process'

PO'd10user, Nov 7, 2018
  4. Fox34 Win User

Question about adding boot critical drivers to an unattended install

I cant get drivers to install

Read my guide, goes step buy step for nvidia driver install. Though I use a different driver cause I got 8 series, same method of installation

Fox34, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

Question about adding boot critical drivers to an unattended install

1. Question about adding boot critical drivers to an unattended install - Similar Threads - Question adding boot

2. My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation: Dear Microsoft CommitteeBefore Answering my Issue let's quick review my Laptop Specifications Model: HP Laptop Pavilion 15-bc200neRam: 16 GB RamRom: 1 TB +256 NVME SSDProcessor: Core i7-7th GenerationGraphic Driver: IntelR HD Graphics 630Window Install: Window 10 HomI am...
  3. My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation: Dear Microsoft CommitteeBefore Answering my Issue let's quick review my Laptop Specifications Model: HP Laptop Pavilion 15-bc200neRam: 16 GB RamRom: 1 TB +256 NVME SSDProcessor: Core i7-7th GenerationGraphic Driver: IntelR HD Graphics 630Window Install: Window 10 HomI am...
  4. My Question is About Nvidia Driver Installation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Question about Critical Errors in Event Viewer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Critical Errors in Event Viewer: Hello. I was wondering if anyone had any examples of critical errors besides "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first." I'm doing a project on the event log and this is the only example of a critical error I can find. Are there any others? If so, do you...
  6. Question about adding SATA ports.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about adding SATA ports.: I have a home built with an ASUS Z87-A MB. It's current main use is as an HTPC and has four 4TB drives full of media and I need to add another. I have space in the case for several more drives but am using all 6 ports on the MB for those 4 plus an SSD boot and a DVD drive....
  7. (auto)unattend and Azure AD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    (auto)unattend and Azure AD: Hi, How should I configure and apply Windows System Image Manager's autounattend.xml or unattend.xml file in order to: - answer "How would you like to set up?" with "Set up for an organization" - log in with particular Microsoft 365 address? Is it even possible during...
  8. Unattended install question

Unattended install question: Unattended install of custom install.wim working well except for a few things. In unattend.xml, I have <HideWirelessSetupInOOBE>true</HideWirelessSetupInOOBE> but I was still asked to connect to Wireless. I was also asked to choose Privacy settings for my device. Is there an...
  9. Question about install

Question about install: I have the Windows 10 ISO on DVD ready to clean install. I have never upgraded or did a clean install as of yet. I am now running Windows 7 SP1. I read that I can now use my Windows 7 key to clean install 10. But what I want to do is upgrade my PC first with a new motherboard...
  10. Setup could not install boot critical drivers

Setup could not install boot critical drivers: On clean install of windows 10 immidiately after Setup begins getmessage--Windows Setup could nt install one or more boot critical drivers. To install WINDOWS, make sure that the drivers are valid and restart installation.-- How do I proceed? How doItell which drivers have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. specify boot critical driver