Windows 10: Question about adding SATA ports.

Discus and support Question about adding SATA ports. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a home built with an ASUS Z87-A MB. It's current main use is as an HTPC and has four 4TB drives full of media and I need to add another. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Hoosier Daddy, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Question about adding SATA ports.

I have a home built with an ASUS Z87-A MB. It's current main use is as an HTPC and has four 4TB drives full of media and I need to add another. I have space in the case for several more drives but am using all 6 ports on the MB for those 4 plus an SSD boot and a DVD drive.

I could retire the SSD and move Windows to a 5th new media drive. I could replace 4TB drives with larger ones, or I could add SATA ports. The latter seemed preferable but I'm not understanding something about add on PCIe cards.

I see a bunch of low priced X1 cards with various number of ports claiming to provide up to 6GB/sec (SATA III) speeds. But I thought that an X1 card has lower throughput than even one SATA III drive (500 vs 600). I also see several X2 or X4 cards but those all have features I don't care about at prices up to five times as high.

For possible futures, I want at least 2 ports and I want them to have similar performance to SATA III MB ports. I realize I probably don't need that performance to consume media but I like to keep options open, not to mention not wanting future backups to take forever(times 2) instead of just forever. LoL

So, I am thinking I may be misunderstanding if an X1 card can give the same performance as SATA III drives connected to the MB ports otherwise I don't understand why I don't find X2 or X4 cards that just provide 2-4 extra ports and not even more ports or RAID capability, or external ports, etc. that drive the prices way up.

Thanks for any clarification or advice.

:)

Hoosier Daddy, Dec 22, 2019
  2. Pantz Win User

Sata ports question

Hello all, will i have my 970 m.2 as my boot drive, but i am not seeing any significant increase in boot time ? is there somthing that i am missing in the BIOS ?

i have also ran Samsung magician and crystal mark and these are my results

Thanks in advance

Question about adding SATA ports. [​IMG]

970 Before TRIM

970 After TRIM

970 Crystal mark

Pantz, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Pantz Win User
    Sata ports question

hello and thanks for your reply, i am not sure which one of my disk in actually in which sata port

Thanks in advance

Pantz, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Pantz Win User

Question about adding SATA ports.

Sata ports question

Hello i have successfully Cloned my 850 evo to my 970 m.2 ssd

Pantz, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

Question about adding SATA ports.

1. Question about adding SATA ports. - Similar Threads - Question adding SATA

2. Quick question about PCIe ports and max number of cards

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Quick question about PCIe ports and max number of cards: So, lets say for sake of argument, I want to avoid any "but why would you?" comments, I am not gaming on my machine, it is for work, and I utilize every last byte of graphics ram, and every last cuda core, if I install a third card using a riser on a machine meant for 2...
  3. E - SATA Port

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    E - SATA Port: On the front of my pc is a port marked E-SATA, what is this for? 158757
  4. Question about my USB Ports and Device Manager

Question about my USB Ports and Device Manager: According to my motherboard documentation I'm suppose to have 6 USB 3.0 ports and 8 USB 2.0 ports. When I look at my device manager for my USB ports it shows the following below. Universal Serial Bus Controllers Generic USB Hub Generic USB Hub Standard Enhanced PCI to USB...
  5. Sata ports question

Sata ports question: Hello all, i have just built a new ryzen PC, with a Asus B450 F MB , and i just got a Samsung M.2 970 EVO 500 Gig to replace my current 850 Evo, from what i understand my MB uses sata ports 5&6, i currently have 2 devices connected to those ports. would moving those two to...
  6. Question about adding boot critical drivers to an unattended install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about adding boot critical drivers to an unattended install: Let's say that I have a storage driver that I need for the successful installation of Windows. During a manual installation of Windows I know that I can manually load additional drivers. However, if I want to perform an unattended install I'm assuming that I would need to...
  7. SATA port are not working??

SATA port are not working??: Glad you got it fixed. Sounds like the CMOS got "confused" and the reset allowed it to detect what was actually present. Good job! --Ed--
  8. How to test a SATA port

How to test a SATA port: Hey Guys, Boy I sure hope that this thread doesn't go as long as the other one. BUT...a problem a raised when I disconnected all drives in the last thread "System Image Problem" After all was fixed on recovering the Image, I plugged in all SATA ports and I found that...
  9. SATA port not working

SATA port not working: Hi all, I hope that this thread doesn't go as long as the other one, but you never know. In my last thread, that dealt with recovering data on a bad windows 10 disk image, towards the end of it I mentioned that Windows Explorer lost recognition to one of my DVD's. I...
  10. Adding a SATA RAID card

Adding a SATA RAID card: I'm wondering if I've made a schoolboy error here... I'm trying to add more disks to my desktop and have run out of SATA ports the motherboard has 6. I've just added a SATA RAID card (Semlos 4 Ports PCI Sata Internal Raid Controller Card Sil3114 Chipset with 2 Sata...