Windows 10: Question about Backblaze/cloud backup?

Discus and support Question about Backblaze/cloud backup? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; For those of you familair with backblaze specifically (unsure if others handle it identically). I have a ridiculous amount of data thats growing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by klepp0906, Sep 13, 2017.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Question about Backblaze/cloud backup?

For those of you familair with backblaze specifically (unsure if others handle it identically).

I have a ridiculous amount of data thats growing daily. As it is I cant afford to invest in constant hard drive updates let alone a NAS for any type of redundancy.

For backing up large amounts of data dropbox is a joke. I used it till now, but for the price it doesnt begin to cut it.

With 20 Terabytes to go through I imagine backing up to backblaze initially will take me the rest of my life, but what im concerned about is hard drive failure.

Should one of my big drives decide to go, backblaze "keeps files for 30 days" and im unsure how this applies to me. Do I have 30 days to spring for a replacement of said drive before backblaze deletes it? I mean ideally, I would replace it within that time frame but with a growing family, you never know.

I'd like to think its saved in perpetuity unless you actually stopped paying for/using their service or it were manually deleted from the pc but Im not really sure if/how it would distinguish between the death(removal) of a hard drive vs the deletion.

Anyone able to enlighten me a bit? Google was no help.

:)

klepp0906, Sep 13, 2017
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Windows 10 PC experienced a power surge and need to restore files from an external backup

Hi Michael, I assume you need to download the BackBlaze software and use that to restore the files form the Flash Drive

You can download their software from the link below:

www.backblaze.com

Also, you should be able to log into their website and download your backed up files from their server - that is the default operational model that BackBlaze operates under . . .

DaveM121, Sep 13, 2017
  3. JoeSith77 Win User
    Files from previous sessions are disappearing when I boot up my workstation running Windows 10. Mostly recent files.

Thanks, man. I'm backing up now with Backblaze.

I appreciate all of your help!

Take care,

Joe

JoeSith77, Sep 13, 2017
  4. Question about Backblaze/cloud backup?

I know your looking for experience on BackBlaze, of which I'm not, but have you considered maintaining multiple copies of your data locally ? Backing up small amounts of data to a cloud source is ok, but when you have multiple terabytes, the data rates do not favor a short connection time. Besides that, using a cloud you introduce more complexities. You now are dependent on your Router, Modem, Your Internet supplier, their servers and finally get to your data.

I create daily incremental backups with Macrium Reflect, and then create a copy of what was backed up to another external hard drive. This way if one of my backup HD's fail, I have an identical copy to restore from. Hard drives do fail now and then, but if you have good quality drives, they last for a very long time. I've been using Western Digital Black drives for 10 years, and in reality I have not had one fail yet ! (Note fingers crossed). I always assemble my on external units, because of the enclosure fails, I can remove the drive fom it and replace it and still have my data.

Or you could use one of many external enclosure suppliers provide support for Raid Capability. This gives you automatic redundancy.

Just some other thoughts.

storageman, Sep 13, 2017
  5. Superfly Win User
    +1

RAID would be the way I'd go (but then I'm anti-cloud anyway... *Tongue )

Superfly, Sep 13, 2017
  6. klepp0906 Win User
    Thing is, for redundancy on 20TB it takes much more space. Space I already can't afford.

I actually just got done making a few scripts to backup the essentials locally but I can't afford to halve/double my space requirements and with Dropbox only handling a fraction, I really need to have something off site and for the cost it can't be beat.

Either way your points are wholly valid. In my case I use a combination. This way I know I'll never lose "everything" regardless of what happens lol.

A couple thousand dollar NAS with 100TB in a mirrored raid would be great and is on my radar for roughly 3-7 tax returns from now but until said point *Tongue

klepp0906, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Question about Backblaze/cloud backup?

1. Question about Backblaze/cloud backup? - Similar Threads - Question Backblaze cloud

2. Question about backup and restoring Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about backup and restoring Windows 10: I have an SSD as my main storage and a HDD to save all my games. Is there a way to only backup my SSD's appdata and restore my windows to 0 while keeping all my HDD data (all the games and stuff) and of course the old appdata submitted by /u/andresma7 [link] [comments]...
  3. Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium)

Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium): So I just started using macrium and I’m curious about something I installed it on my windows disk and backed up that entire disk onto an external hard drive and have created a usb rescue for it but I’m not sure about something... I know you can restore it through the usb or...
  4. Questions about setting up EASEUS Todo Backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Questions about setting up EASEUS Todo Backup: I've been using the free Macrium Reflect for a little while, and as near as I can tell, it works. The interface seems more complex than Todo Backup (perhaps not as good for a normal "user", and it doesn't make incrementals, so I'm looking around at others. I've also never had...
  5. Question about Image Backups.

Question about Image Backups.: I backed up my GPT windows system drive to a MBR hard drive through the windows built in tool. I have to revert to this backup and it keeps failing. Would converting the MBR drive to GPT make the system image restore work? If not what should I do? I have already ran DSKCHK on...
  6. Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. I was just wondering if it matters when making let's say a 2nd Differential Image if I make it from the 1st Differential or from the Full Backup. I think it probably doesn't matter but I want to make sure. Macrium Reflect (free) is a great program! My computer is Windows...
  7. Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

in Windows 10 Support
    Another question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. I was just wondering if it matters when making let's say a 2nd Differential Image if I make it from the 1st Differential or from the Full Backup. I think it probably doesn't matter but I want to make sure. Macrium Reflect (free) is a great program! My computer is Windows...
  8. Upload to the Cloud Question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Upload to the Cloud Question: I have a few small files 1-10MB that I would like to upload to the cloud each time I use them. I cannot seem to find out how I can do this. Can anyone help ? Thank you, Richard S....
  9. Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup

Question about Macrium Reflect Differential Backup: Hi. Macrium Reflect free allows 4 differential backups per full backup. If I have a full backup and 1 differential backup and I want to make a second differential backup, does it matter if I make it from the 1st differential backup or from the full backup? Thanks in advance...
  10. Microsoft Account-Remove Cloud Backup of Personal Settings question

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Account-Remove Cloud Backup of Personal Settings question: Hi, I looked at my Microsoft Account and under the Devices Menu at the top for my PC I noticed a More Actions dropdown list saying Remove cloud backup of personal settings which talks about turning off syncing first and then clicking on Remove button and then removing the PC...