Windows 10: Question about boot order

Discus and support Question about boot order in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a question about boot order. I have an Optiplex 9020 with Windows 10 21H1 on a 240 gb ssd and a 1 tb hdd for storage. Windows boots just fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lgentry, Jul 8, 2021.

1. lgentry Win User

Question about boot order

I have a question about boot order. I have an Optiplex 9020 with Windows 10 21H1 on a 240 gb ssd and a 1 tb hdd for storage. Windows boots just fine but I was looking in bios and noticed that my first boot device is 'hard drive' rather than 'windows boot manager.' Can someone explain this to me. All my other Windows 10 devices say windows boot manager. It looks like my boot time might increase if I could boot from windows boot manager. I was unable to upload two photos of my bios to this site that I took with my cell phone but you can see them here: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

:)

lgentry, Jul 8, 2021

2. Right boot order but doesnt boot right. But works on manual boot.

Hello Kyle,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your computer regarding the bootup of the device. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• What is the exact make and model of your PC?
    • As mentioned, "But if i load it in first time boot, and then select the po or something(the first in my boot order) it works", can you explain us what exact issue are you facing?
    • Was there any recent hardware changes done prior to the issue?
    • Did you check in BIOS if the Boot menu order is changed?
    Please post to us with the information above to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jul 8, 2021
  3. Nick!!! Win User
    Boot Order Help

Hi,

I would like some help to optimise my boot order.

My preference is:

1. USB
    2. CDDVDW
    3. C: Drive where windows is installed
    Refer to picture below which shows my current setup.

Question

1. Is this order inline for my preference above?
    2. Will the CDDVDW also boot USB?
    3. If answer to 2) is no how do I add USB boot as option as 1) is there a way to do it.

Question about boot order 81351213-3c11-4d64-a2d4-dad860d60936?upload=true.jpg

Any help appreciated, thanks.

thanks,

Nick.

Nick!!!, Jul 8, 2021
  4. pepanee Win User

Boot Order?

Yes. From my experience, the boot order goes down that list of everything that is listed there. If none of the devices have anything to boot from, then yes, like Winuser said, the computer will state that there is no boot device.

pepanee, Jul 8, 2021
Thema:

1. Question about boot order - Similar Threads - Question boot order

2. Question about Windows Licensing and Booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Windows Licensing and Booting: Hi , i got 2 questions here,. and i would like if its posible to get official replay from microsoft aswell so i know its 100% correct.question 1 : i buy a windows licens some time ago that i didnt use yet from a site called <Removed> , the prices the site sell windows licens...
  3. Question about Windows Licensing and Booting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Windows Licensing and Booting: Hi , i got 2 questions here,. and i would like if its posible to get official replay from microsoft aswell so i know its 100% correct.question 1 : i buy a windows licens some time ago that i didnt use yet from a site called <Removed> , the prices the site sell windows licens...
  4. What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is Secure Boot? Questions about Memtest86: I have a few questions about Secure Boot and Memtest86: What is Secure Boot? If I accidentally downloaded a virus instead of Memtest86 and tried to run it on a bootable USB does Secure Boot stop it or can it get control over my whole PC? If I understand MS documentation...
  5. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  6. Question about Clean Booting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about Clean Booting: Does clean booting delete the files I've created and files I've downloaded? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-clean-booting/44738c96-5a20-4455-b06d-052e4209799f
  7. Question about booting from NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about booting from NVMe drive: I have a brand new Ryzen 2700X system with an X470 motherboard and I bought my first NVMe drive to go with it. My plan is to use it as my boot drive, and I am cloning my current boot drive to it. My question is do I need to do anything specific to get the NVMe drive to boot?...
  8. Question about login order in Windows 10

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Question about login order in Windows 10: Just got a new laptop with windows 10 pre-installed. When I boot up, Windows always tries to use the disabled Administrator user to sign in first, then tells me it is disabled and proceeds to my user, which has admin privileges. I understand how to enable the hidden admin...
  9. question about using a boot usb

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    question about using a boot usb: Hi, I recently did a windows update and now the pc wont boot up but just goes into the repair mode. I have tried all options to no avail. I have made a boot usb as I hoped to be able to just boot into windows with that. There seems to be only 2 options . Repair ( which just...
  10. Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about fast boot/hybrid shutdown: I know some people disable fast boot/hybrid shutdown but I tend to leave as much of Windows at default as possible (apart from system restore - why does MS disable that by default?!!!) anyway, I wonder if the hiberfil.sys file on shutdown gets rewritten from scratch on...