Windows 10: Question about booting from NVMe drive

Discus and support Question about booting from NVMe drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a brand new Ryzen 2700X system with an X470 motherboard and I bought my first NVMe drive to go with it. My plan is to use it as my boot drive,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Gurn Blanston, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Question about booting from NVMe drive

I have a brand new Ryzen 2700X system with an X470 motherboard and I bought my first NVMe drive to go with it. My plan is to use it as my boot drive, and I am cloning my current boot drive to it.

My question is do I need to do anything specific to get the NVMe drive to boot? The motherboard manual suggests that I might have to use RAID settings, but I don't plan to use the drives in a RAID configuration. I am thus slightly confused.

Would anyone be able to shed any light on this?

:)

Gurn Blanston, Nov 16, 2019

2. Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Nov 16, 2019
  3. Installing new NvMe drive and using it as primary boot runnig windows 10

Hello,

I have a preinstalled windows 10 along with 30+ apps(both from manufacturer and third party) running on my desktop. I recently bought the Samsung 960 evo NvMe drive and would like to use it as my new boot drive. I know that I have to create a bootable usb
    drive, disconnect all other SSD/HDD, leave only the NvMe drive, install windows on it and then reconnect all the drives back.

I would like to understand how I could create an ISO image of my preinstalled windows 10(along with all the updates, hardware drivers and apps) and make a bootable USB out of it. Is it possible? if so, could anyone list the steps needed or point me to a
    thread or post online? Thank you.

SusheelPalkamsetti, Nov 16, 2019
  4. Question about booting from NVMe drive

Windows refuses to install on NVME SSD (Samsung 960 EVO)

First, thanks everyone who copy-pasted the first relevant results they found in Google. I found those before I asked the question.

The solution that I got to work is as follows:

• Disable CSM / UEFI
    • Enable Secure Boot
    • Now the installer can access the NVME SSD
      • Format the drive
      • Restart the machine

• Enable CSM / UEFI

• Disable Secure Boot

• Proceed to installer and now Windows will allow you to install to the NVME SSD drive

MikeIsMike, Nov 16, 2019
Thema:

Question about booting from NVMe drive

1. Question about booting from NVMe drive - Similar Threads - Question booting NVMe

2. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  3. Question about boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about boot order: I have a question about boot order. I have an Optiplex 9020 with Windows 10 21H1 on a 240 gb ssd and a 1 tb hdd for storage. Windows boots just fine but I was looking in bios and noticed that my first boot device is 'hard drive' rather than 'windows boot manager.' Can someone...
  4. Windows stopped booting from nvme ssd drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows stopped booting from nvme ssd drive: This is my first post here. Apologies if I trample over any ettiquettes. I am hopeful that some kind and knowledgable folk may be able to offer some advice!So, I built my 1st PC in Feb 2020 in order to start out experimenting with VR dev. I was/am a beginner in both...
  5. boot from USB to boot from NVMe?

boot from USB to boot from NVMe?: tl;dr: My 3rd gen Thinkpad X1 Carbon has a NVMe M.2 slot for a SSD and can read and write from it, but due to an exclusivity agreement with Samsung (who failed to honor it anyways) the BIOS refuses to boot from NVMe drives (on older firmware versions you could glitch the...
  6. Question about changing primary boot Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about changing primary boot Drive: So I got my M2 Drive in the mail today and cloned my old SATA SSD onto it. Then I went to bios and selected the new M2 Drive as my boot Drive. And I think it worked, keyword think. My issue now is though, I went to try to reformat the old SATA drive to wipe it clean and it's...
  7. Question about Clean Booting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about Clean Booting: Does clean booting delete the files I've created and files I've downloaded? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-clean-booting/44738c96-5a20-4455-b06d-052e4209799f
  8. Question about NVMe SSD Adapter Cards

Question about NVMe SSD Adapter Cards: My computer is a Dell XPS 8700, and the only onboard SSD port is for an mSATA sized SSD; I got a standard 2.5" sized SSD (samsung 860 evo) as my OS drive, and it has been good for my system when I got it and beyond. But I found a somewhat good deal for a 1 TB NVMe SSD...
  9. Booting from USB drive questions

Booting from USB drive questions: OK I have been trying for the last 2 days to boot from a usb drive on my computer, read some of the tutorials on how to do this method. Nothing seems to work so far. Been trying the recovery method, then choosing Advance setup. That works to the point of showing my choices,...
  10. Question about Recovery Drive

Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...