Windows 10: Question about changing primary boot Drive

Discus and support Question about changing primary boot Drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I got my M2 Drive in the mail today and cloned my old SATA SSD onto it. Then I went to bios and selected the new M2 Drive as my boot Drive. And I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/HiiipowerBass, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Question about changing primary boot Drive

So I got my M2 Drive in the mail today and cloned my old SATA SSD onto it. Then I went to bios and selected the new M2 Drive as my boot Drive. And I think it worked, keyword think. My issue now is though, I went to try to reformat the old SATA drive to wipe it clean and it's still insisting that this is my drive where Windows is installed and therefore it cannot be formatted. Not sure where to go from here I went to regedit Microsoft Windows and changed the default file paths to the new Drive but it didn't fix it

submitted by /u/HiiipowerBass
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/HiiipowerBass, Mar 22, 2021

2. Change primary alias

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,

As per description, when you click to change the primary on nothing happens.

Have you tried to perform the troubleshooting steps provided under section
    Change which alias is primary
    ?

If you have not performed the troubleshooting steps I would suggest you perform steps under
    Change which alias is primary , from my previous post. Which are as follow.

Note: The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might reset security settings or privacy settings that you added to the list of Trusted Sites. The Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature might also reset
    parental control settings. We recommend that you note these sites before you use the Reset Internet Explorer Settings feature.

Please do let us know if you need further assistance with Windows.

Ashish Sondhi, Mar 22, 2021
  3. Anne Ros Win User
    Changing the primary drive.

Hi,

Changing the primary drive from SSD to HDD is possible by changing the path location of each drive. Since all apps are being downloaded on the C drive by default, you need to change the HDD to C drive to have all the apps in the hard drive. These type of
    changes need a technician to assist you to avoid risks and conflicts. We suggest contacting your device manufacturer directly for assistance to perform the said changes.

As for the files, after setting your HDD to C drive, you can create a new folder to store all the music you want in it.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Anne Ros, Mar 22, 2021
  4. Caring1 Win User

Question about changing primary boot Drive

Windows Booting beep!!

Check the boot order in the BIOS also, it might not have the hard drive as primary in the boot list.

Caring1, Mar 22, 2021
Thema:

Question about changing primary boot Drive

1. Question about changing primary boot Drive - Similar Threads - Question changing primary

2. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  3. Question about boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about boot order: I have a question about boot order. I have an Optiplex 9020 with Windows 10 21H1 on a 240 gb ssd and a 1 tb hdd for storage. Windows boots just fine but I was looking in bios and noticed that my first boot device is 'hard drive' rather than 'windows boot manager.' Can someone...
  4. Change primary hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Change primary hard drive: So when i first built my pc i had a 250gb HDD. As you may tell, that isn't much so i bought and installed a 2tb HDD. I have many files on it now, and i have went to setting and put that i want new files to go to there, but still new files go to the 250gb hard drive. Is there...
  5. Question about Clean Booting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about Clean Booting: Does clean booting delete the files I've created and files I've downloaded? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-clean-booting/44738c96-5a20-4455-b06d-052e4209799f
  6. Question about Microsoft changes

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Question about Microsoft changes: I just got the Microsoft email about SMS messages being used for email security and that other phone numbers won't be allowed. I don't have a mobile phone; I use a landline. My other email address is an outlook address so I'm not sure I can use it since I'm guessing I'll be...
  7. Question about cloning a drive

Question about cloning a drive: Hi, I am wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro, i have a ton of Music related applications that i would rather not go through the process of reinstalling and activating etc etc Could i clone my C drive (that's my OS drive) and then do a fresh install of Windows 10...
  8. Question about booting from NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about booting from NVMe drive: I have a brand new Ryzen 2700X system with an X470 motherboard and I bought my first NVMe drive to go with it. My plan is to use it as my boot drive, and I am cloning my current boot drive to it. My question is do I need to do anything specific to get the NVMe drive to boot?...
  9. A question about USB drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A question about USB drives: Hey, Don't know if this a dumb question or not but I'm asking just because I'm curious. Deleted data still stays on a drive, right? At least until it's overwritten by another thing? When I plug a flash drive or even a phone via USB in a PC and delete a file from there, is...
  10. Question about Recovery Drive

Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...