Windows 10: Question about Clean Booting

Discus and support Question about Clean Booting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Does clean booting delete the files I've created and files I've downloaded?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ThrowawayAccount.5, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Question about Clean Booting

Does clean booting delete the files I've created and files I've downloaded?

:)

ThrowawayAccount.5, Dec 22, 2020
  2. Toothless Win User

Silent boot failure

List your specs out and tell us each step in cleaning you did.

Toothless, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Jerry8AB Win User
    Clean Boot Question - Restart or Not Restart

Clean Boot Question

After doing the steps for a Clean Boot, I have seen two answers about whether to Restart or not Restart. Which is the correct answer?

1. On the Startup tab of System Configuration, select OK. When you
    RESTART the computer, it's in a clean boot environment.

2. You will see a restart prompt. Click on the Exit without restart button.

Jerry

Jerry8AB, Dec 22, 2020
  4. Question about Clean Booting

Installation Failure C1900101-4000D and Clean Boot recommendation questions

I posted the below question on August 4 and received a quick reply suggesting I perform a clean boot. Please see email stream below.

I have further questions on performing the clean boot and potential risks. Can anyone please provide answers to the following:

1) The link provided (in the below response) for downloading the upgrade to an disc or thumb drive before installation. It also instructs that in order to do this type of installation I will need the Windows product key.

How do I get the key for the Windows 10 upgrade?

2) Does doing a clean boot mean I will lose the capacity to revert back to Windows 7 if this fails? I am worried about losing any ability to recover an operating system if the Windows 10 upgrade does not take with this method.

Any help is appreciated

Cyprin

Installation Failure C1900101-4000D

CY

asked on

I have been trying to upgrade to Windows 10 but get the following error code C1900101-4000D.

Upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 on an HP Dv7 laptop.

The download occurs but the upgrade cannot complete.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

21 people had this question

• Question about Clean Booting [​IMG]

Question about Clean Booting [​IMG]

Waseemulla S replied on

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

It means your installer was not able to pick the installation files while upgrading.

I suggest you to place the computer in clean boot, disable Antivirus and then upgrade using an ISO.

Try the following steps:

Step 1: How to perform a clean boot in Windows: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: The steps apply for Windows 10 as well.

Step 2: Disable antivirus software:

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows/disable-antivirus-software#1TC=windows-7

Note 1: Make sure to enable Antivirus after the troubleshooting.

Note 2: After the troubleshooting is done make sure to refer the section " How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" from the Clean boot article.

Now, you may try to upgrade from here:

Download Windows 10

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Be the first person to mark this helpful

• Question about Clean Booting [​IMG]

CY

replied on

Dear Waseemulla S,

Thank you for your help. I have a further questions on the process you outlined.

1) The link you provided for trying the upgrade Download Windows 10 leads me to a page that has the instructions I've copied below. Specifically, it instructs that I will need the Windows product key.

How do I get the key for the Windows 10 upgrade?

2) Does doing a clean boot mean I will lose the capacity to revert back to Windows 7 if this fails? I am worried about losing any ability to recover an operating system if the Windows 10 upgrade does not take with this method.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards-

Copied text from Upgrade Webpagehttp://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Before you begin

• Make sure you have:
      • An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
      • Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
      • A blank USB or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
    • Read the System Requirements.
    • If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx). For more information about product keys and when they are required, visit the FAQ page.

Cyprinodon, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

Question about Clean Booting

1. Question about Clean Booting - Similar Threads - Question Clean Booting

2. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  3. Question about boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about boot order: I have a question about boot order. I have an Optiplex 9020 with Windows 10 21H1 on a 240 gb ssd and a 1 tb hdd for storage. Windows boots just fine but I was looking in bios and noticed that my first boot device is 'hard drive' rather than 'windows boot manager.' Can someone...
  4. Question about clean installing windows.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about clean installing windows.: Im going to be doing my first clean install and am wondering if I should unplug all my extras, second monitor, headphones, ect... when doing the clean install. Or is it okay if I leave everything plugged in? submitted by /u/route12 [link] [comments]...
  5. Clean Boot Question

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Clean Boot Question: To do a Clean Boot, it says: Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10. Now, if I understand a user or administrator account, it is an account outside of Windows. So, assume I have a Windows problem and am told to open a user account and to do a Clean...
  6. Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10

Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10: Long story short, my laptop somehow got screwed up by the latest Windows update and I need to do a clean install of Windows 10. I've gotten to a pop up that asks where I want to install Windows 10 and I'm unsure what to do. Here's what it looks like:[IMG] Thanks in advance!...
  7. A couple of questions about a clean install

A couple of questions about a clean install: Hi, I'd like to ask two questions regarding what happened in my case when installing Windows 10 recently. When I clean installed using my USB installation media for version 1903 18362.356 a strange thing happened during the Windows Setup stage. After entering my Microsoft...
  8. Freezing During Normal Operation: Questions About Clean Boot

in Windows 10 Support
    Freezing During Normal Operation: Questions About Clean Boot: Hi everyone, So I asked this question a while back but did not have much luck. I have tried a lot of things since then. The problem: my newly built PC is freezing during normal mode. It freezes when I do most things, but mainly while using the internet (videos, music,...
  9. Question About Windows 10 Clean Installation

Question About Windows 10 Clean Installation: hi I'm wondering about a clean installation of windows 10,heres my problem: my mom accidently cracked my touch screen on by beats audio 15 special edition pc and now we have to send it back to at&t (we have the premier protection plan insurance) to get it fixed, however...
  10. Quick question about a clean install.

Quick question about a clean install.: I've been wanting to do a clean install of windows 10 for a long time. I have windows 10, but I want to reinstall it. I want to start fresh, so I've backed up my files. I just have one question, will I need to reinstall my drivers? Because I have no idea where to find...