Windows 10: Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10

Discus and support Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Long story short, my laptop somehow got screwed up by the latest Windows update and I need to do a clean install of Windows 10. I've gotten to a pop up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Madid99, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Madid99 Win User

Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10

Long story short, my laptop somehow got screwed up by the latest Windows update and I need to do a clean install of Windows 10. I've gotten to a pop up that asks where I want to install Windows 10 and I'm unsure what to do. Here's what it looks like:Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10 [​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

:)

Madid99, Mar 18, 2020
  2. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Mar 18, 2020
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Mar 18, 2020
  4. kajson Win User

Win 10 clean install question

So I spend the day yesterday installing the computer, using a prepared usb key with windows 10 on it.

I got it all sorted in the end but I'll share my fails anyways so others might learn:

Do not try to do a clean install win with win 10 home N, when you come from a machine with just win 10 home. It won't activate *Wink Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10 ;) After reinstalling with the right copy, it was already activated right away after the first boot, didn't even have to initialise it.

There hasn't changed a whole lot in making clean install compared to older versions of windows, it's slightly better streamlined, though being asked at 3 different stages to enter a product key when it's not needed during install seems a bit annoying.

Further more it would be lovely if Microsoft finally learned to ask ALL questions regarding preferences updates and whatnot in one go, so you can then go away from your computer and come back to a fully installed/updated system including reboots.. Not impossible I would say.

There's still some little bugs, like when I installed realtek audio drivers, they'd go into an infinite loop asking for reboot and install the driver. And as a PDF reader isn't in the list of standard programs to select, foxitreader keeps saying it is not the default reader for pdf's even though I had said yes to the question 3x. If this fails to get file associations for PDF's I do hope Microsoft will fix this asap.

Thanks for the fast answers earlier guys, it gave me the confidence that all would be well, even when I cocked up the first install with the N version.

kajson, Mar 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Question Clean Installation

2. Question about Clean Booting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about Clean Booting: Does clean booting delete the files I've created and files I've downloaded? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-clean-booting/44738c96-5a20-4455-b06d-052e4209799f
  3. Question about clean installing windows.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about clean installing windows.: Im going to be doing my first clean install and am wondering if I should unplug all my extras, second monitor, headphones, ect... when doing the clean install. Or is it okay if I leave everything plugged in? submitted by /u/route12 [link] [comments]...
  4. Questions about installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions about installing Windows 10: I currently have Windows 7 and I think it's time I finally make the switch to Windows 10 since the support for Windows 7 has stopped. This is the first time I'm upgrading and I'm not really sure how this process works. I see where it says "Download tool now" on the Microsoft...
  5. A couple of questions about a clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A couple of questions about a clean install: Hi, I'd like to ask two questions regarding what happened in my case when installing Windows 10 recently. When I clean installed using my USB installation media for version 1903 18362.356 a strange thing happened during the Windows Setup stage. After entering my Microsoft...
  6. Questions about installing Windows 10

Questions about installing Windows 10: Split from this thread. I have a Windows 10, HP Laptop. I have many questions! I'm about to install the Windows 10 operating system, from a DVD. Here goes . . . Do I have to delete everything on my computer, to then do the install? Or will be done during the install? How...
  7. Question about Clean Install of Windows 10

Question about Clean Install of Windows 10: Split from this thread. Hello sir, a very good tutorial I have few questions 1) is it okay to do clean installation? I had already done 4 times reset this pc, my laptop is 11 months old. Will there be any kind of wear year to harddisk Or laptop. 2) recovery iso is...
  8. Question About Windows 10 Clean Installation

Question About Windows 10 Clean Installation: hi I'm wondering about a clean installation of windows 10,heres my problem: my mom accidently cracked my touch screen on by beats audio 15 special edition pc and now we have to send it back to at&t (we have the premier protection plan insurance) to get it fixed, however...
  9. Question about a clean install of 10 down the road.

Question about a clean install of 10 down the road.: Let's say you either installed windows 10 at least once during the free offer. Can you go back to Seven? Then when Jan 2020 comes along can you download a windows 10 installation and do an upgrade or clean install when windows 7 expires or will you only be able to do a...
  10. Quick question about a clean install.

Quick question about a clean install.: I've been wanting to do a clean install of windows 10 for a long time. I have windows 10, but I want to reinstall it. I want to start fresh, so I've backed up my files. I just have one question, will I need to reinstall my drivers? Because I have no idea where to find...