Windows 10: Question about cloning a drive

Discus and support Question about cloning a drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro, i have a ton of Music related applications that i would rather not go through the process of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by danbottomburp, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Question about cloning a drive

Hi,
    I am wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 pro, i have a ton of Music related applications that i would rather not go through the process of reinstalling and activating etc etc
    Could i clone my C drive (that's my OS drive) and then do a fresh install of Windows 10 and then put that cloned copy back on and everything would just work ?

If not how would you approach doing this with the least amount of hassle?

And also any recommendations for cloning software to use, hopefully i can put the cloned copy onto one of the my other drives while i do the fresh install and then drag it back onto my OS drive

Thanks for reading

Dan

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

:)

danbottomburp, Jan 10, 2020

2. cloneing a drive in windows 10

Hi,I have this question last year,but my os is windows 8.there are my steps of

How to clone drive in winodws

,you can check.hope that helps

First,I download a free tool of MiniTool partition wizard and launch it.

Step 1. Connect SSD to Windows 8. Install and launch MiniTool Partition Wizard Free Edition, select the source hard drive and then choose “Copy

Step 2. Select a disk to copy the source disk. Here you are expected to choose the SSD (we choose disk 3).

Note: All the data on SSD will be destroyed, so make sure you have done backup in advance. You are allowed to clone a hard drive to a smaller SSD, as long as it can hold all data in the source disk. You can also clone SSD to larger SSD by using MiniTool
    Partition Wizard Free Edition.

Step 3. Review the changes you are going to make and also change the copy options if necessary.

Step 4. MiniTool Partition Wizard will tell you how to boot from the destination hard drive. So if you are cloning boot drive to SSD, you need to pay attention.

Step 5. When you are lead to the main interface again, you can preview the changes you are going to make from the middle pane. (Here disk 3 has the same disk layout with disk 1.) If you confirm these
    changes, you should click “Apply” to make the changes effective. Hope that helps

Areil.Bart, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Clone Bitlocker enable drive to SSD

Keitaro

My name is Andre Da Costa; an Independent Consultant, Windows Insider MVP and Windows & Devices for IT MVP. I'm here to help you with your problem.

Heed the advice of the software, you must disable BitLocker before cloning. This is highly recommend if you ever want to get access to the drive.

There is nothing wrong with having to re-enable it after restoring the clone.

Step 1: disable BitLocker.

Step 2: clone drive

Step 3: restore the cloned image to the new drive.

Step 4: Re-Enable BitLocker.

Andre for Directly, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Sanhime Win User

Question about cloning a drive

Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Question about cloning a drive

1. Question about cloning a drive - Similar Threads - Question cloning drive

2. Question about cloning drives for back-up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about cloning drives for back-up: Hi alla bit of a stupid question here, as I am sure this is easily answered but can I clone my SSD to another SSD that I bought in order for it to be a back-up? I recently had a problem where I lost most of my documents I had stored on my PC, due to not backing up my info. I...
  3. Question about cloning drives for back-up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about cloning drives for back-up: Hi alla bit of a stupid question here, as I am sure this is easily answered but can I clone my SSD to another SSD that I bought in order for it to be a back-up? I recently had a problem where I lost most of my documents I had stored on my PC, due to not backing up my info. I...
  4. Question about cloning drives for back-up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Question about cloning Opal 2.0 drive with Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about cloning Opal 2.0 drive with Windows 11: Hello AllWe just purchased a ThinkPad P16s with Windows 11. We'd like to clone the 500 GB Samsung drive M.2 2280 SSD Opal 2. to a new 1 GB SAMSUNG 980 SSD 1TB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280 using the Samsung Data Migration utility. We'd like to save one of those drives as an...
  6. Question about cloning Opal 2.0 drive with Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about cloning Opal 2.0 drive with Windows 11: Hello AllWe just purchased a ThinkPad P16s with Windows 11. We'd like to clone the 500 GB Samsung drive M.2 2280 SSD Opal 2. to a new 1 GB SAMSUNG 980 SSD 1TB PCle 3.0x4, NVMe M.2 2280 using the Samsung Data Migration utility. We'd like to save one of those drives as an...
  7. Hard drive cloning question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive cloning question: Basically my desktop has an old intel p600 256gb nvme drive, clearly not enough for gaming or anything. id like to clone it to a 1tb nvme drive, i understand i can just get an nvme to usb adapter to do this and use some cloning software but here is where im getting confused,i...
  8. Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Dumb Question (possibly) about Cloning and Imaging Disks: Okay, here's the thing. For years, I have been cloning the hard disks whenever I get a new PC or update the OS to a newer version (e.g. XP > Vista, Vista > W7, W7 > W10). I used to use Acronis True Image which always did what I wanted without fuss until earlier this year -...
  9. Questions about disk clone imagine Please Answer these Questions A-F

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Questions about disk clone imagine Please Answer these Questions A-F: A) Under What Conditions Will the software Clonezilla work to clone GTP windows 10 UEFI drives. ? ? B) Under What Conditions Can I boot Up a computer that has UEFI secure Boot turned on C) When I try to boot my Computer to a flash and windows says it wants IPV4 or IPV6 and...
  10. Hard Driving Cloning Question

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard Driving Cloning Question: I am looking to upgrade a computer in my office to Windows 10 once it comes out. This computer needs to have its hard drive replicated. Currently we have two option to clone the hard drive, hardware based and software based cloning. Has anyone tried either method of cloning?...