Windows 10: Question About Create System Image

Discus and support Question About Create System Image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; If you create a system image using Create System Image in Backup and Restore and save it to an internal hard drive in an enclosure connected via usb,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by BarryAllen, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Question About Create System Image

If you create a system image using Create System Image in Backup and Restore and save it to an internal hard drive in an enclosure connected via usb, can you just use that as a replacement hard drive and just replace your current hard drive and use the one the System Image is on instead? Like after the system image is finished being made to the internal hard drive in the enclosure, just put the hard drive from the enclosure into the desktop and make that the new hard drive to boot from?

Question About Create System Image [​IMG]

:)

BarryAllen, Jan 28, 2018
  2. Louie05 Win User

About creating system image

just want to temporarily put my back up in dvd cuz when I'm using flash drive it says its not valid for creating system image even tho I convert it to NFTS format if I'm not mistaken, so I'm asking if it requires me a 40GB do I need a total of 40GB dvd
    also

Louie05, Jan 28, 2018
  3. slance310 Win User
    About creating system image

Hi,

Since around the time Win 8 was released, there have been two types of Flash Drives which are almost impossible to tell apart before purchasing...

They both function equally well for most things, but are not interchangeable for some Windows features...

About the only way to tell them apart is to stick them in the computer and look in Computer\ThisPC to see how they are identified..

The newer ones will appear as a Fixed Disk, or Local Drive... just like a hard drive...

The older ones will appear as a "Removable Drive"...

I'm thinking you must have one of the newer ones that will work for a Recovery Drive, but possibly not for System Images...

As far as the size of the image goes, I have found on my machines that it is usually considerably smaller than the estimate...

Do you have a external hard drive you can save it to ?

slance310, Jan 28, 2018
  4. Try3 Win User

Question About Create System Image

No, you have to restore the image to the drive you want to use it on.

[Edited on 30th Jan 18 to avoid duplication]

I have posted procedures for restoring a Windows 10 system image in this forum thread - How to restore system image backup I included a link to the illustrated Win8 procedure mentioned by Brink [below].
    Page 1 - restore a system image using the onboard facility
    page 2 - restore a system image by booting from an installation disk, 'system repair disk' or Windows 10 'recovery drive'.

Denis

5. Ok. I have another empty internal drive that I will restore the image onto. I will be putting the empty drive in my desktop and use my Win10 recovery usb to select to restore the image from System Image hard drive in external enclosure connected via usb onto blank internal hard drive . Is that correct?

BarryAllen, Jan 28, 2018
  6. Try3 Win User
    Barry,

Yes, that sounds correct.
    - The new disk must be at least as big as the original one form which the image was made [space used is not the criteria, disk size is what matters].
    - The new disk must be fitted in the same place as the old one so all the various hardware location references in the image remain correct. [This only makes any difference for computers with more than one disk]

The last time I did what you are doing [replacing a disk], I mounted the new disk in an external enclosure first to check that it was formatted already but I do not think that was essential.

Denis

Try3, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Question About Create System Image

1. Question About Create System Image - Similar Threads - Question Create System

2. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  3. A question about system image restore and restore point.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question about system image restore and restore point.: Hi, I'm planning to do those registry changes to make the boot animation go from spinning dots to that ring. So, I want to make a restore point and also create a system image in case anything happens and my system won't boot up. So, do I need to keep the system image on a...
  4. Question about Image Backups.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Image Backups.: I backed up my GPT windows system drive to a MBR hard drive through the windows built in tool. I have to revert to this backup and it keeps failing. Would converting the MBR drive to GPT make the system image restore work? If not what should I do? I have already ran DSKCHK on...
  5. Question about creating a computer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about creating a computer.: I was planning on creating a simple computer that could run Windows 10. I am planning out all of my parts right now and got confused about how it could run Windows 10. I don't have a lot of experience yet, so I appreciate any support. Is there a Windows 10 OS inside one...
  6. Question about bootable image

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about bootable image: Hey guys, I thought I'd turn here and ask you lovely gurus about this. I used to work in the IT department if a rather large Sandwich shop in Chicago that had done something that I am trying to replicate. Long story short, the way they would setup and distribute the company...
  7. Question about imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about imaging: Admittedly I am very lax on doing an image. I did a macrium one prob over a year ago and it took a long time to do my c: (SSD 400 gigs) and f: drive (mechanical HD 2 TB). Lack of spare time stops me doing it. My question is would you guys bother imaging your secondary drive....
  8. Questions about creating a system Image backup - a bit coinfused

Questions about creating a system Image backup - a bit coinfused: Hi I want to use the "windows system image backup tool" to an external hard drive which is a backup that already contains other folders from several computers that I need to keep. Ive never done this B4 so these are baby questions ; ) Question: Will the image creator...
  9. question about a system image

question about a system image: I have a asus laptop i couldnt get my printer to work. well it came down to i have been infected with some very bad trojans and virus. they couldn have fixed it for 109 bucks but i dont have that kind of money. I have system Image on a external hdd. If i put that on my laptop...
  10. Question About System Image in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question About System Image in Windows 10: I'am planning on installing Windows 10, and I'am thinking of doing a clean install. So my question is if I create a system image of my current OS i.e. Win 8.1 will I be able to restore it on Windows 10? Because I do not want to install every software again. 8938