Windows 10: Question about customizing default profile in Audit Mode

Discus and support Question about customizing default profile in Audit Mode in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am creating a new image for my company from a clean Windows 10 installation, and I want to use Audit Mode to set up the default profile. One of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by poit57, Feb 6, 2019.

1. poit57 Win User

Question about customizing default profile in Audit Mode

I am creating a new image for my company from a clean Windows 10 installation, and I want to use Audit Mode to set up the default profile.

One of the programs we are required to have on all computers is Symantec Endpoint Protection which is pushed out as a remote installation. These were our previous steps to installing on our image computer without customizing a default profile, as they pertain to SEP installation.

• Enable Remote Desktop connections
    • Join computer to domain
    • Turn off Windows Firewall
    • Push Symantec installation from server with domain admin credentials
    • Disjoin computer from domain
    • Create Image

The problem we are running into with trying to set up our software from audit mode is that, while in audit mode, the computer is undetectable on the network. We can attempt to ping by computer name and the DNS server displays the IP address, but all ping attempts time out.

If we try to connect to the computer via Remote Desktop Connection, we get an error that Remote Desktop cannot connect to the remote computer because remote access is not enabled, the remote computer is off, or the remote computer is not available on the network. None of that is true.

Is this a security measure that a computer in audit mode can't be reached over the network, or is there something that I can configure to allow remote connections so that we can push the Symantec installation?

:)

poit57, Feb 6, 2019
  2. Kari Win User

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

My answer is a definite Naturally yes and Of course no Question about customizing default profile in Audit Mode :).

Seriously, the CopyProfile=True setting in the answer file (see tutorial Part Five Step 10) is the one that when Windows is syprepped copies everything from the built-in administrator account to the default user profile. The problem is, when Sysprep finds even a single existing user account other than the built-in administrator account, the CopyProfile will be ignored and nothing will be copied.

OK. The real answer to your question, based on the above explanation is that you can customize the default user profile only when there are no existing user profiles on the system, except of course the built-in admin. If you are willing to delete all your user profiles on an existing Windows system and recreate them you can do this. Here's how:

1.) Boot to Audit Mode using this command (Command Prompt or WIN+R):
    Code:
    Code:
    %windir%\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /audit / reboot
    2.) When in Audit Mode, delete all user accounts.
    3.) Reboot (no worries, a reboot brings you automatically back to Audit Mode; you can exit Audit Mode only by specific command).
    4.) Check that the main profile folder (by default C:\Users\) really is has no by user created profile folders, it should only have three system profiles there (Administrator, Public and the hidden (Default). If any remains (folders) from the user accounts you deleted above in step 2 are still there, delete the folder manually.
    5.) Now you can follow this tutorial starting from Part Three. Part Five tells yoyu how to edit the answer file, its Step 10 how to be sure the modifications are copied to default user profile.

Kari, Feb 6, 2019
  3. Audit mode

Hi Diane,

Windows boots into Windows Welcome Mode and Audit Mode. Windows Welcome Mode
    is the first user experience while the Audit mode is used to add customization to Windows images. Sometimes, Windows keeps running in Audit Mode and user has no idea about it, just like in your case. While your machine is running Audit
    Mode when upgrading or reinstalling Windows 10, the upgrade won’t progress.

Here's how to exit from Audit mode to reinstall Windows 10:

• Open the administrative or elevated Command Prompt. Type cmd in the
      Search
      field at the taskbar.
    • Type the following command and press Enter key: sysprep /oobe /generalize
      DISCLAIMER: Running sysprep command each time resets Windows licensing state to default. So if your Windows is activated and you run this command, you’ll need to reactivate Windows after executing this command.

• Once the command IS successfully executed, you’ll be out of Audit Mode. Now you can re-try to upgrade to Windows 10 and it should work.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Feb 6, 2019
  4. Katrin Win User

Customize Windows 10 Image in Audit Mode with Sysprep  

Hi,

I have the same Problem like CanadianGooses with the Search-Bar using the LTSB-Release and the audit-mode.

(Windows 10 Image - Customize in Audit Mode with Sysprep - Page 32 - Windows 10 Forums)

But only, if the image is deployed as a part of a iso-file. How do you deploy your wim-file? Has anyone found a solution?

Thanks und greetings from Germany - .

Katrin, Feb 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Question about customizing default profile in Audit Mode - Similar Threads - Question customizing default

2. Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Customizing image in Audit mode vs OOBE: Hi, I'm new to customizing Windows images and I'm confused by something that I hope you can clear up. I understand that audit mode gives OEMs the ability to install software, drivers, customize etc before capturing a master image, and that that this uses a hidden admin...
  3. Copy Customize Profile to Default Profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Copy Customize Profile to Default Profile: Hello, I'm building an image for my work (education environment) and my boss choose to use Windows 10 LTSB. I was trying to manual inject the customize account I did into the default profile? This will allow any user whom signs in to get the "look and feel" as well as the...
  4. Copy Customize Profile to Default Profile

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copy Customize Profile to Default Profile: Hello, I'm building an image for my work (education environment) and my boss choose to use Windows 10 LTSB. I was trying to manual inject the customize account I did into the default profile? This will allow any user whom signs in to get the "look and feel" as well as the...
  5. Copy Customize Profile to Default Profile

in Windows 10 Support
  6. Copy Default User Profile W/O Audit Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Copy Default User Profile W/O Audit Mode: Is there a way to copy a profile to the default profile without using the Audit Mode feature when it was built? I know that the Audit Mode should have been use but at this point it to late to do that now. That got to be some app are "hack" way to still copy a profile to the...
  7. Audit Customizations

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Audit Customizations: So I'm working on creating a reference image for myself and some friends. The idea was to debloat windows as much as possible. I figured out how to do most of what I need through trial and error, however, there are a few last changes that I just can't seem to figure out....
  8. Audit Customizations

Audit Customizations: So I'm working on creating a reference image for myself and some friends. The idea was to debloat windows as much as possible. I figured out how to do most of what I need through trial and error, however, there are a few last changes that I just can't seem to figure out....
  9. Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode

Pinned Icons in Customized Audit Mode: I customized my Windows 10 in Audit Mode and created a answer file by the Windows System Image Manager. CopyProfile in the answer file is set on true In the customization I removed the Edge browser Icon and the Windows Store from the Task bar. I know that pinned Icons at...
  10. Sysprep and Audit Mode questions

Sysprep and Audit Mode questions: I'm noticing some stuff when running sysprep on an image: - I uninstalled OneDrive in Audit Mode, but after generalization it comes right back? Any way to keep it uninstalled? - Windows Updates seemingly gets undone after going to OOBE, and some drivers got reverted as...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. setting default user profile location in audit mode

2. using audit mode to customize default profile