Windows 10: Question about doing a clean install of Windows 10 onto a wiped SSD

Discus and support Question about doing a clean install of Windows 10 onto a wiped SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I'm upgrading my PC with a new mobo, cpu and ram. I'm backing up my SSD that I currently use as my boot drive and I am planning on wiping it to do a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/haywoodyalookatthat, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Question about doing a clean install of Windows 10 onto a wiped SSD

So I'm upgrading my PC with a new mobo, cpu and ram. I'm backing up my SSD that I currently use as my boot drive and I am planning on wiping it to do a clean install of Windows for the new hardware. My question is, will my back up of the old PC boot drive be an issue when I restore my data from the backup? My Windows 10 license is digital so I don't foresee any issue adding the new hardware to my account. Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

submitted by /u/haywoodyalookatthat
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/haywoodyalookatthat, Aug 9, 2020

2. Win 10 clean install question

This is what I would do:
    • Shrink the hard drive partition until it's small enough to fit on the SSD.
    • Clone the Windows 8.1 setup to the SSD.
    • Boot off the SSD and make sure that Windows 8.1 is happy (i.e., no complaints about activation).
    • Upgrade to Windows 10 on the SSD.
    This way, you know that Windows 8.1 has a valid setup on the SSD before doing anything else. Plus, the Windows 10 upgrade will be processed much faster on the SSD. Finally, you still have the hard drive setup to fall back to if anything goes wrong.

Static~Charge, Aug 9, 2020
  3. Please help. Messed up SSD after installing windows 10 from usb

You could 'clean' it with diskpart, I am not 100% sure what the windows installer did to it, 'cleaning' it with diskpart may make your OS not load even if it is on the HDD depending on where it put the MBR, so proceed at your own risk.

To clean:
    From windows command line...

diskpart <enter>
    list disk <enter>
    note the disk # of the SSD
    select disk # (Number of ssd)
    clean <enter>

NOTE: once the SSD is 'cleaned' it cant be undone and everything will be wiped.

Psychoholic, Aug 9, 2020
  4. Question about doing a clean install of Windows 10 onto a wiped SSD

Clean Windows 10 (?PRO?) install

I have bought a legit "Windows 10 Pro" key of a key website. It is legit since i'm currently using it for over a year now. I currently have Windows 10 Pro installed on my PC and I want to do a clean install. I just can't find the windows 10 Pro download in the tool. But if i could use a windows 10 pro key with a normal windows 10 install, I'll be good to go.

JeroenBeunckens, Aug 9, 2020
Thema:

Question about doing a clean install of Windows 10 onto a wiped SSD

1. Question about doing a clean install of Windows 10 onto a wiped SSD - Similar Threads - Question doing clean

2. Upgrading to an M.2 SSD, question about clean installation of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading to an M.2 SSD, question about clean installation of Windows 10: Upgrading to new SSD and wanting to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. My activation is a digital license. This is how it will go, please correct me if I'm wrong: Physically install SSD Boot computer to USB with Windows 10 install Install Windows 10 on new SSD Change...
  3. Question about clean installing windows.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about clean installing windows.: Im going to be doing my first clean install and am wondering if I should unplug all my extras, second monitor, headphones, ect... when doing the clean install. Or is it okay if I leave everything plugged in? submitted by /u/route12 [link] [comments]...
  4. Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question About Clean Installation of Windows 10: Long story short, my laptop somehow got screwed up by the latest Windows update and I need to do a clean install of Windows 10. I've gotten to a pop up that asks where I want to install Windows 10 and I'm unsure what to do. Here's what it looks like:[IMG] Thanks in advance!...
  5. A couple of questions about a clean install

A couple of questions about a clean install: Hi, I'd like to ask two questions regarding what happened in my case when installing Windows 10 recently. When I clean installed using my USB installation media for version 1903 18362.356 a strange thing happened during the Windows Setup stage. After entering my Microsoft...
  6. Question about Clean Install of Windows 10

Question about Clean Install of Windows 10: Split from this thread. Hello sir, a very good tutorial I have few questions 1) is it okay to do clean installation? I had already done 4 times reset this pc, my laptop is 11 months old. Will there be any kind of wear year to harddisk Or laptop. 2) recovery iso is...
  7. Clean Installation questions and SSD drives

Clean Installation questions and SSD drives: Ive just got a new PC with a 128gb SSD and a 1 Terabyte Data drive. Ive never had an SSD drive before so this is new to me. If I use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB flash drive to clean install Windows 10....what are the differences to be aware of as regards...
  8. Clean install of Windows 10 onto SSD, wipe HDD, have another copy of Windows 10

Clean install of Windows 10 onto SSD, wipe HDD, have another copy of Windows 10: Hi, I recently mounted my SSD into my desktop computer (doesn't show up yet, but haven't done anything with the drivers; that's another thing I'll get to). I plan to put Windows 10 onto my SSD (I have a copy of Windows 10 Education from university) and I plan on just having...
  9. Question About Windows 10 Clean Installation

Question About Windows 10 Clean Installation: hi I'm wondering about a clean installation of windows 10,heres my problem: my mom accidently cracked my touch screen on by beats audio 15 special edition pc and now we have to send it back to at&t (we have the premier protection plan insurance) to get it fixed, however...
  10. Quick question about a clean install.

Quick question about a clean install.: I've been wanting to do a clean install of windows 10 for a long time. I have windows 10, but I want to reinstall it. I want to start fresh, so I've backed up my files. I just have one question, will I need to reinstall my drivers? Because I have no idea where to find...