Windows 10: Question about downloading a legitimate Windows 10 ISO to a thumb drive

Discus and support Question about downloading a legitimate Windows 10 ISO to a thumb drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What is the preferred disc format for saving a Windows 10 downloaded ISO file to an external USB drive? Must it always be NTFS, or could exFAT serve... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by flabbergaster, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Question about downloading a legitimate Windows 10 ISO to a thumb drive

What is the preferred disc format for saving a Windows 10 downloaded ISO file to an external USB drive? Must it always be NTFS, or could exFAT serve the purpose as well?

I've got a USB 2 stick that's got a previous 18-something version of Windows 10 on it, which happens to be formatted to exFAT. I find it (exFAT) much easier to work with transferring files cross-platform between a MacBook Pro, HHDs and externals.

I've no intention of keeping the previous ISO for future consideration. It also make no difference to me *what* the drive is set up for. What I am curious about are the Windows requirements for the ISO. Once that is known I can easily re-format to NTFS or leave it still in exFAT.

:)

flabbergaster, Sep 4, 2019

2. Downloading ISOs for Windows 7, 8.1, 10

If you need to get your hands on official Microsoft ISOs for Windows 7, 8.1, or 10, check out this utility:

Microsoft Windows ISO Download Tool

This new tool allows an easy and comfortable way to download genuine Windows 7, 8.1 and 10 disk images (ISO) directly from Microsoft's servers.

Ever since Microsoft pulled the Windows disk images from Digital River, hunting for untouched ISO files has been a pain. Our new tool will make your life easier, and provides and interface to Microsoft TechBench to download original Windows images directly from Microsoft's server.

Microsoft Windows and Office ISO Download Tool
    It can access many different editions and languages. Very handy.

Static~Charge, Sep 4, 2019
  3. DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Even though I'm not upgrading at the moment, I still like being able to download the pro and home .ISO's. I actually never found clean Windows 8 iso's online and 'legitimate' Windows 7 .iso's are hard to come by since they shut down Digital River's links.

Thanks for the heads up OP.

Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool, Sep 4, 2019
  4. HAT
    hat Win User

Question about downloading a legitimate Windows 10 ISO to a thumb drive

Is my thumb drive dying?

I just downloaded an updated W7 Home Premium x64 SP1 ISO, and I was copying those files over to my W7 installation thumb drive. It seems to fail every time I copy the files over. The drive just disappears, no longer listed in My Computer. I also hear the device disconnected sound. I tried moving it from my front panel USB ports to one of the ports in the back and the same thing happened. I believe this is grounds to call it a dead drive...?

Thema:

Question about downloading a legitimate Windows 10 ISO to a thumb drive

1. Question about downloading a legitimate Windows 10 ISO to a thumb drive - Similar Threads - Question downloading legitimate

2. Downloading pictures on thumb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading pictures on thumb drive: I am in the process of downloading all my pictures from onedrive onto a thumb drive. It holds 60000 pictures. If the thumb drive gets full and I have pictures left and I get a new thumb drive how do I download the other pictures without duplicating them?* Moved from Community...
  3. Downloading pictures on thumb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloading pictures on thumb drive: I am in the process of downloading all my pictures from onedrive onto a thumb drive. It holds 60000 pictures. If the thumb drive gets full and I have pictures left and I get a new thumb drive how do I download the other pictures without duplicating them?* Moved from Community...
  4. ISO Windows 10 thumb drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ISO Windows 10 thumb drives: I just successfully reinstalled Windows 10 Home(standalone copy that I purchased on my wife's Dell all in one desktop) using a USB thumb drive and it worked like a charm. I upgraded my Dell Inspiron from Windows 10 Home (which I think came preloaded on a new computer) to...
  5. Question about modifying a bootable image / ISO

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about modifying a bootable image / ISO: Hey guys, I thought I'd turn here and ask you lovely gurus about this. I used to work in the IT department if a rather large Sandwich shop in Chicago that had done something that I am trying to replicate. Long story short, the way they would setup and distribute the company...
  6. Information about Windows 10 iso download

Information about Windows 10 iso download: Hello, Story: " Today the OS (Windows 10) installed on my pc got currupted(you can say) while i was performing some experiments with my only pc (actually trying to dual boot windows with ubuntu Linux as I'm learning to code). I don't know why windows installed...
  7. Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file

Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file: Hi, I used the following tutorial to download the current Windows 10 iso file using the Media Creation Tool Download Windows 10 ISO File I followed everything exactly using Option One for Windows 10 Home. The questions I have relate to point 9 which says -: 9. Select where...
  8. Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file

in Windows 10 Support
    Question on Downloading the Windows 10 ISO file: Hi, I used the following tutorial to download the current Windows 10 iso file using the Media Creation Tool Download Windows 10 ISO File I followed everything exactly using Option One for Windows 10 Home. The questions I have relate to point 9. 9. Select where you would like...
  9. downloading pictures to thumb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    downloading pictures to thumb drive: How do I download a group of pictures to a thumb drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/downloading-pictures-to-thumb-drive/dfbb66b3-b2cb-4f88-9001-a26cf79c0e6c
  10. Windows 10 ISO Question

Windows 10 ISO Question: My question is if the Win 10 ISO thumb drive you create to do a fresh install usable to install Win 10 on another PC? I had Win 7 Pro on my old PC. I did the Win 10 upgrade. Then did the fresh install using the ISO. I had already built a new gaming machine with Win 7 Pro...