Windows 10: Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives

Discus and support Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Say you already have windows (1) installed on drive 1. Later you install windows (2) on drive 2. Now windows boot manager will pop up to ask you which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/iv_crushed_agn, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives

Say you already have windows (1) installed on drive 1. Later you install windows (2) on drive 2.

Now windows boot manager will pop up to ask you which windows to load on each boot. What happens if drive 2 is disconnected. Will it automatically load windows 1 like windows 2 never existed? Or was something in the boot stage affected and now missing windows 2 breaks everything?

submitted by /u/iv_crushed_agn
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/iv_crushed_agn, Feb 17, 2021
  2. topgundcp Win User

Dual Booting 2 x Windows 10 OS Drives (Existing Installs)

It is uneccessary to do all of the above.
    1. Boot up Windows 10
    2. Open Disk Management and take a note of the drive letter of the other Windows 10
    3. Open Admin Command Prompt and type: bcdboot X:\Windows where X is the drive letter noted in step 2
    4. Reboot, you should have a dual boot menu.

topgundcp, Feb 17, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Dual Booting with Windows 8.1

The procedure below will allow you to boot Windows separately or in dual boot configuration.
    Here's what I recommend to do:
    1. Disconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    2. Install Windows 10 with one drive connected.
    3. After step 2, reconnect the drive containing Windows 8.1
    4. Boot up Windows 8.1. Open disk management and take a note of the drive letter of Windows 10 OS.
      NOTE: if you boot up Windows 10, then take a note of Windows 8.1 drive letter
    5. Open Admin command prompt and type: bcdboot X:\windows where X: is the drive letter of Windows 10 (Windows 8.1 if you boot from Windows 10 in step 4)
    6. Reboot the PC. You should have a dual boot screen.

NOTE: To break off the dual boot setting, Win+R->msconfig->boot and delete the none default entry on the list.

topgundcp, Feb 17, 2021
  4. topgundcp Win User

Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives

Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives

There are some misleading information in this thread.
    1. Unlike Legacy MBR BIOS. When running Windows using GPT style partition, The UEFI firmware will update the boot configuration accordingly.
    2. For each Windows using GPT with separate EFI System partition, You will have a separate "Windows Boot Manager" ie. you will have one for Windows 7 and one for Windows 10.
      NOTE: You must first connect the SSD/HD then restart or turn off the PC then turn on the PC for UEFI firmware to update the boot configuration.

There is nothing wrong with your Windows 7/10 booting. You just need to set your UEFI firmware to point to the correct "Windows Boot manager" and and set the SSD/HD to be the first boot device. Or using the Boot Menu for a one time boot.

It is hard to visualize how it works. So here's some screen shot from my PC.
    From Disk Management: I have 2 Windows installed, 1 on disk 0 (Connect to Sata 0) and the other on disk 3 (Connect to Sata 5). On disk 2, I have 2 WinPE's (WinPE does not have Windows Boot Manager)

Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives [​IMG]

For one time boot from boot menu, I just have to select which one to boot from. Note that the 2 "Windows Boot Manager" associated to 2 different SSD ID's. #1 is for Windows on Disk 0, #2 is for Windows on Disk 3. #3 &#4 are for 2 WinPE's

For normal boot. On the next 3 screens, you'd have to select which "Windows Boot Manager" to boot from and also the appropriate SSD/HD.

NOTE: The GUI on my MB looks different from your MB but all options are there. In addition, If you disconnect your HD (Windows 10) then you would have to go back and reset the boot order again.

topgundcp, Feb 17, 2021
Thema:

Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives

1. Question about dual booting windows 10 on 2 different drives - Similar Threads - Question dual booting

2. Question about 2 different windows installations on separate drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about 2 different windows installations on separate drives: I'm installing Windows 10 as a kind of "burner machine" on my second SSD soon, and I just have one question. Let's say I un-assign the drive letter from my main drive in my burner machine, or disable the disk from device manager completely. Will this be enough to stop...
  3. Dual Boot Windows 10 On Different Drives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dual Boot Windows 10 On Different Drives: I would just like to get confirmation on whether it is possible or not to dual boot two Windows 10 installations on separate drives with the same boot manager. For information I have tried using bcdedit and EasyBCD, and it works flawlessly on two partitions on thesame...
  4. Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am having a little bit of trouble and hoping you guys can help me out. I want to set up a dual boot with two different versions of Windows 10. The first (and primary) would be the 2004 update with my primary C drive, the second would be a flash drive with...
  5. How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?: Not sure if this is possible.. I have a new I5 Windows 10 desktop. Boots off a 500gig SSD drive and I installed a 2TB drive for additional space. Super fast runs great. I only use it for work. Minimal browsing, mostly excel type stuff. I have an older dell I5 that was...
  6. How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?

How to dual boot Windows 10 with 2 different hard drives?: Not sure if this is possible.. I have a new I5 Windows 10 desktop. Boots off a 500gig SSD drive and I installed a 2TB drive for additional space. Super fast runs great. I only use it for work. Minimal browsing, mostly excel type stuff. I have an older dell I5 that was...
  7. Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives

Dual Boot Windows 10 Two Different Drives: Hello, I'm running Windows 10 (1803) on a HDD (in a laptop). I used the Windows 10 Media-Creation Tool (running from this HDD) to create a bootable installation-USB. I just installed a PCIe SSD, booted from the USB, and tried to install Windows 10 (1903) onto the SSD. The...
  8. Dual Boot question #2

Dual Boot question #2: Hello, I have a dual boot laptop (Legacy BIOS), with W 10 Pro x64 (clean installation from Media Creation Tool dvd) and W7 x64 The disk management layout is the following: (from left to right): Basic MBR Hard Disk 0 1) Recovery OEM Sony partition 15 GB primary (hidden...
  9. Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7

Questions about dual boot with Windows 10 and Windows 7: Hello TenForums, first post from a forum lurker new to Windows 10. I've been using Windows 7 Home for years and found Sevenforums very helpful just like this forum. I have read this thread and other tutorials about this topic on other sites/blogs and still have a few question...
  10. Questions about dual booting Windows 8 and 9?

Questions about dual booting Windows 8 and 9?: Hi I'm planning to create a new 120 Gigabyte partition on the internal hard drive that doesn't have Windows 8 on it and then installing Windows 9 in it. I've done this several times in the past, with XP and 7, then 7 and 8, but not since the change to the UEFI bios....