Windows 10: Question About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive

Discus and support Question About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This may be a stupid question, but I don't know much about computers and I'm concerned, so I have to at least ask about it. I just happened to look at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bigfoot, Jan 4, 2017.

1. Bigfoot Win User

Question About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive

This may be a stupid question, but I don't know much about computers and I'm concerned, so I have to at least ask about it. I just happened to look at how much space was on my C drive, because I was considering downloading all 800 photos from my pocket camera's SD card. That looked great, 854 GB free of 911 GB.

What I noticed was the Recover Image (D) amount, 2.29 GB free of 18.1 GB. This computer is only 3 months old, a HP desktop with Windows 10 factory installed. I have no idea why there is so little space left here, and I'm not aware of putting anything on the D drive.

Can someone tell me if this is normal? What's filling this up, and will it be completely full soon? If so, what do I do then? Any advice and information on this is appreciated. Is everyone's D drive as full as mine? Should I be worried? *Shock

:)

Bigfoot, Jan 4, 2017

2. Annoying popup from Windows Explorer on Recovery drive D

Windows 10 Home

Installed an SSD drive, Recovery drive D partition 23.6 GB total, 5 MB free space. $Recycle.bin 129 bytes.

A Windows Explorer popup opens every 15 minutes or so with "Low Disk Space"

"You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY (DQuestion About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive :). Click here to see if you can free space on this drive."

Cannot free any space on drive D:, $Recycle.bin folder has 0 bytes in it. Can delete $Recycle.bin folder, cannot change recycle bin size (will not accept 0, will not hold 1, reverts back to original entry).

Partition style: GPT, Capacity 457863 MB, Unallocated space: 2MB, Reserved space: 128 MB. Recovery (DQuestion About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive :) 24182 MB, Windows (CQuestion About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive :) 431615 MB.

Recovery (DQuestion About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive :) is not being used for virtual memory.

RonChoiniere, Jan 4, 2017
  3. neilpzz Win User
    hard disk D won't defragment

What is the D:\ drive. (is it a drive you use or part of a recovery drive) How much free space is shown on the drive. If it doesn't have much free space then it won't defragment.

neilpzz, Jan 4, 2017
  4. SoFine409 Win User

Hi Bigfoot, I don't know much about HP Desktops but the Recovery Partition probably holds an image of you PC when it left the factory. It's there so that you can return it to the original new condition should you wish to do so. I doubt that it will grow in size anytime. If you take a look at the documentation that came with the PC it will probably confirm this.

That said, I hope you are backing up your important documents, images, etc to an external drive in case anything goes wrong with the OS. If not you need to think about an external drive. Imagine how you would feel if you had to restore your PC and lost all you pictures.

SoFine409, Jan 4, 2017
  5. Helmut Win User
    That is normal, (D*Smile is a Recovery partition used to restore your PC to the bought state. It is normally almost full. It never changes. Essentially it's your copy of Windows, manufacturers drivers, applications etc.

Manufacturers normally ask you to make a copy of that to DVDs or a USB key drive. So you can use that if say your HDD dies on which the recovery partition is.

I just leave it there, does not take much space.

Helmut, Jan 4, 2017
  6. Bigfoot Win User
    Thank you so much SoFine, I was googling around and read something like that and was hoping that's what it was. So if I'm correct, no more should be added to the D file from now on?

There was no real documentation that came with this computer, I bought it at Walmart and was actually copying stuff off of the box before I threw it out so I'd have some info on it.

I have no important documents on my computer at all, and for years my practice was to take photos, like from vacations, and copy them to a CD, and save them that way. Other than that, I have never had any kind of a backup.

Bigfoot, Jan 4, 2017
  7. Bigfoot Win User
    Thanks for your reply Helmut, I do feel better now. *Smile

Bigfoot, Jan 4, 2017
  8. SoFine409 Win User

That Recovery Image will not grow. If it did it would not restore the original, snapshot in time, when you PC left the factory.

You can go to the HP web site and find the documentation for your specific model. Dell puts a unique service tag number on each PC that will show you everything you need to know about your PC, including replacement parts. I suspect that HP being a major brand, might do the same thing.

SoFine409, Jan 4, 2017
  9. Bigfoot Win User
    Thanks again for the info SoFine.

Bigfoot, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Question About Free Space on the Recovery (D) Drive - Similar Threads - Question Free Space

2. A question about a recovery usb drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A question about a recovery usb drive: Hi, so I am posting this because my computer isn't too new but it is still running 10 smoothly. But since it isnt too new now, it may stop responding, lag, not boot properly, give errors, etc . There are some trojans that overwrite your MBR like it happened in 2016. I may...
  3. Recovery Drive D: out of space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery Drive D: out of space: I've been getting a note that Drive D; is running out of space. When I select Drive D: the only option is Help. I reduced Drive C: by 5GB but can't expand Drive D: Disk Management shows 260 MB Healthy Ef, WIndows C: 909.98 GB, 4.88 GTB Unallocated, 980 MB Healthy Recov,...
  4. Question about disk space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about disk space: I was notified that I'm running out of disk space, so I went to settings to clear it up. "Apps and features" is taking up 770 GB. I only have a few games installed on steam and a couple video and photo editing apps so how is this possible? I clicked on it and sorted by size...
  5. Space in Recovery Drive (D)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Space in Recovery Drive (D): My HP_RECOVERY (D) Drive has used 9.39 GB from 10.6 GB - is this normal and to be expected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/space-in-recovery-drive-d/b358918b-353e-43cd-a1f4-105e0d40e737
  6. Move free space from D drive to C Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move free space from D drive to C Drive: Hi, I am receiving messages saying my storage is full. Disk manager shows no free space on C drive, but 913GB free on D drive, how can I reallocate free space from D to C? Thanks...
  7. Not enough space on Recovery (D:) drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Not enough space on Recovery (D:) drive.: My Recovery D is full and is all red . I had to do a recovery and it couldn't remove enough without destroying important and computer info. I do not want community please. I don't understand very well. **Title modified from: I have no recovery space it's all red***...
  8. how do you free space on drive D

how do you free space on drive D: how do you free space on drive D ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-you-free-space-on-drive-d/520d2ad2-69ba-4660-86f5-57cd8375d3af
  9. free space on Recovery D.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    free space on Recovery D.: how do I free space on Recovery D..it's almost full and is running super slow. I went to clean but says there is 0 bytes on D yet its full. My laptop is running super slow....
  10. Question about Recovery Drive

Question about Recovery Drive: I have a primary drive which is 500 GB - I would like to split it so that I can use half for OS and half for data. I made a recovery USB (before I split the drive) and I would like to know that if I restore whether the disk partition will go back to how it was when the...