Windows 10: Question about Image Backups.

Discus and support Question about Image Backups. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I backed up my GPT windows system drive to a MBR hard drive through the windows built in tool. I have to revert to this backup and it keeps failing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Sam141234, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Question about Image Backups.

I backed up my GPT windows system drive to a MBR hard drive through the windows built in tool. I have to revert to this backup and it keeps failing. Would converting the MBR drive to GPT make the system image restore work? If not what should I do? I have already ran DSKCHK on both drives and everything checks out. I was thinking of buying another hard drive to temporarily transfer the data onto so that I can convert my MBR drive to GPT without losing the system image. I would then transfer it back onto the converted drive and hopefully have fixed the issue.

submitted by /u/Sam141234
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Sam141234, Oct 28, 2020

2. [HELP]Image recovery issues

Guys i am trying to fix my cousins Asus Eee netbook. It has a backup image file that is partitioned on the hard drive but when I go to use it the app will run through a few steps and stop. It is running Vista . Any suggestions?

Rapidfire48, Oct 28, 2020
  3. Windows 7 Backup Image Question

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone with knowledge of the Windows 7 backup image can help me out. I make regular, monthly backup images of my harddrive and last night I messed something up with an AVG update. I updated, was having problems with CPU usage after the update and I tried a system restore to the previous day to fix things. Well this did not fix it. So I was forced to use the backup image.

This was my first time doing so, so I wasn't entirely sure on how to do it, but it was actually pretty darn easy. I've got the computer back up and running like it used to. Have my old AVG version back and no more high CPU usage. I've run ccleaner to fix any registry errors there might be, everything is checking out just fine.

Here's my question though. At the beginning of the process, there is an option to "format the PC's hard drive and repartition disks to match the layout of the system image." This is unchecked by default and I left it unchecked. A friend of mine suggests that I redo the process and reformat. Is this necessary for my situation? I could see maybe if I had a bad virus or something of that nature. Could I have messed up the registry by not formatting? Thanks guys.

lwgnlseven, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Geekoid Win User

Question about Image Backups.

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Question about Image Backups.

1. Question about Image Backups. - Similar Threads - Question Image Backups

2. Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about Backups (Specifically Macrium): So I just started using macrium and I’m curious about something I installed it on my windows disk and backed up that entire disk onto an external hard drive and have created a usb rescue for it but I’m not sure about something... I know you can restore it through the usb or...
  3. Question about bootable image

Question about bootable image: Hey guys, I thought I'd turn here and ask you lovely gurus about this. I used to work in the IT department if a rather large Sandwich shop in Chicago that had done something that I am trying to replicate. Long story short, the way they would setup and distribute the company...
  4. System image backup question

System image backup question: Hello, I bought an external 1TB drive, to make a system image backup (which is in progress as we speak). The backup should be somewhat around 350 GB. Can I use the remaining space for my purposes, or will that be a problem when I eventually will have to restore the backup?...
  5. Question about imaging

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question about imaging: Admittedly I am very lax on doing an image. I did a macrium one prob over a year ago and it took a long time to do my c: (SSD 400 gigs) and f: drive (mechanical HD 2 TB). Lack of spare time stops me doing it. My question is would you guys bother imaging your secondary drive....
  6. Questions about creating a system Image backup - a bit coinfused

Questions about creating a system Image backup - a bit coinfused: Hi I want to use the "windows system image backup tool" to an external hard drive which is a backup that already contains other folders from several computers that I need to keep. Ive never done this B4 so these are baby questions ; ) Question: Will the image creator...
  7. Question about Backblaze/cloud backup?

Question about Backblaze/cloud backup?: For those of you familair with backblaze specifically (unsure if others handle it identically). I have a ridiculous amount of data thats growing daily. As it is I cant afford to invest in constant hard drive updates let alone a NAS for any type of redundancy. For...
  8. Backup/Image question

Backup/Image question: Hello, For a new laptop with NVMe 256GB and an internal HDD 2TB, was wondering what the best way is to make a backup of OS partitions so that if needed, just copy over the partitions and be done with it. I have moved Users folder to another partition so I currently have:...
  9. question about a system image

question about a system image: I have a asus laptop i couldnt get my printer to work. well it came down to i have been infected with some very bad trojans and virus. they couldn have fixed it for 109 bucks but i dont have that kind of money. I have system Image on a external hdd. If i put that on my laptop...
  10. Question about W10 Image.

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about W10 Image.: I usually back up my current system by making an image on another disk. I just did that, and thought I wonder if anyone's tested it for reliability. I mean is it still working as intended in W10 64? 26764