Windows 10: Question about install

Discus and support Question about install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have the Windows 10 ISO on DVD ready to clean install. I have never upgraded or did a clean install as of yet. I am now running Windows 7 SP1. I read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bluestringer, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Question about install

I have the Windows 10 ISO on DVD ready to clean install. I have never upgraded or did a clean install as of yet. I am now running Windows 7 SP1. I read that I can now use my Windows 7 key to clean install 10. But what I want to do is upgrade my PC first with a new motherboard then install 10. Is this possible using my Windows 7 key. Thanks.

:)

bluestringer, Jun 11, 2016
  2. Andre Da Costa, Jun 11, 2016
  3. wujingY Win User
    A question about installing

Dear
    pdomino
    :

Thanks for your reply!But I am also confused about this solution.Should I uninstall
    Microsoft Visual 2005 C++ Redistributable at first?And then,you suggest me to reinstall
    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86).Is it certain?

I am not proficiant in computer and software so that I have to get clear answer from you.

Thanks for your help,and I am looking forward to your reply.

From

wujingY, Jun 11, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Question about install

You need to make sure your Windows 7 SP1 is installed and activated in the new motherboard first.
    Then you can either do upgrade install or clean install of Windows 10.

davidhk, Jun 11, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    It is not required to install Windows 7 first on the new motherboard, but it is a good idea and the way that I would do it.

Windows 10 will activate on brand new hardware by manually entering a Windows 7 product key, but sometimes Microsoft will come back and say the Windows 7 product key is in use on another computer. The only way to fix that is to install Windows 7 on the new computer and activate it on the phone.

So my new computer a couple months ago I didn't take the chance. I just did a quick Windows 7 install and activation on it first. Neither SP1 or any Windows 7 updates are required before upgrading to Windows 10 from an ISO, that's the good news.

I used the gatherosstate.exe and genuineticket.xml file to activate Windows 10 on my new computer.

NavyLCDR, Jun 11, 2016
  6. I have the OEM Windows 7, so I guess it will be tied to the motherboard I have now, so I'm not sure it would activate on a new motherboard.

bluestringer, Jun 12, 2016
  7. meebers Win User
    If you have the time, it would never hurt to try.

meebers, Jun 12, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Question about install

But it would violate the End Users License Agreement to do so. An OEM license can only be transferred to a new device (motherboard) if it is an exact replacement for one that has failed, not an upgrade.

NavyLCDR, Jun 12, 2016
  9. cereberus Win User
    I recently clean installed windows 10, using an 8.1 key and it did this ie complained about the old key being in use as well.

Rather than messing around with installing windows 8, then reinstalling 10 again, and also I did not want to mess around creating a dual boot drive( messing around with partition resizing etc), I found easiest way was to create an 8.1 virtual hard drive.

Very easy to do (works for windows 7, 8 or even 10 Insiders) . Getting to command prompt may differ for windows 7 (cannot remember but rest is the same).

First create a directory to hold vhd e.g. c:\vhd

Boot from a windows installation disk, select language etc.

Click next to get to install now page, and then press shift+f10 to get to command prompt and type

create vdisk file=c:\vhd\Windows.vhd maximum=50000 type=fixed ------> (adjust drive, size name and path etc to suit your needs)
    select vdisk file=c:\vhd\Windows.vhd
    attach vdisk
    exit

Then the virtual disk you just created will be listed as a drive from the installation menu, and you can install it.

It then updates boot menu giving a dual boot option.

Then you can run old version, telephone activate etc.

Then removing it is simply a case of deleting boot entry from msconfig, and deleting vhd.

cereberus, Jun 12, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Very cool cereberus! Thanks for that!

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Question about install

1. Question about install - Similar Threads - Question install

2. i wanna ask some questions before fresh windows install

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    i wanna ask some questions before fresh windows install: so i wanna completely reinstall windows from scratch i have a windows 10 pro oem key that should work fine right? my current version of windows is a windows 10 enterprise N version but its not official one and i wanna get rid of it, and it wont let me change my windows...
  3. Acer Laptop/Fresh install mysteriously slow. a few questions too

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Acer Laptop/Fresh install mysteriously slow. a few questions too: Hi everyone. I am not making a lot of progress with this laptop and need help. I have a 5-6 year old lower-end Acer with original installation with an i5 2.x GHz with 3.0GHz turbo and two sticks of 4 GB Ram. It started running slower and slower despite removing a lot of old...
  4. A couple of questions about a clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A couple of questions about a clean install: Hi, I'd like to ask two questions regarding what happened in my case when installing Windows 10 recently. When I clean installed using my USB installation media for version 1903 18362.356 a strange thing happened during the Windows Setup stage. After entering my Microsoft...
  5. Installing New SSD Questions

Installing New SSD Questions: Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what...
  6. A few clean install questions

A few clean install questions: After having way too many problems with upgrading from 1803 to 1903 and trying a reset as well *Banghead I've decided to do a clean install of W10. I have a Macrium Reflect backup if this to proves to be a problem and all my other back ups just in case. I'm all set to go...
  7. Question about USB installation drive

Question about USB installation drive: Hi, could Windows have problems if it was installed with a USB bootable drive that was prepared from an external HDD? Let me explain: since I didn't want to uselessly load the PC on which I prepared the installation USB drive I sent it at download to an external HDD. Now, I...
  8. Windows Administration Software Install question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Administration Software Install question: Windows Administration Software Install question: Hello. When is it ok to install various software logged in as end-user (worker-bee) and using runas... 'Administrator' VS. logging into the pc as the administrator myself (Administrator), and then performing the install....
  9. Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question regarding Windows 10 clean install!: Hi all, I was wondering whether Windows 10 installs any hardware related drivers of its own at any point during a clean installation. A while back I did a clean install on my wife's Surface Pro 6 and saved a system image using Macrium Reflect as soon as it was done, without...
  10. QUESTION: Windows 10 100% Disk usage after fresh install of windows 10 and a clean hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    QUESTION: Windows 10 100% Disk usage after fresh install of windows 10 and a clean hard drive: Question: Is it normal for my disk usage to be at 100% for 1-2 minutes from doing tasks such as using 3-4 tabs on Firefox and using the Windows app ''Groove Music'' Back Story: So I started consistently getting 100% Disk usage after 2 years of the PC running smoothly. I...