Windows 10: Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...

Discus and support Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm looking for a proper procedure of how I should do it. My scenario: Current HDD with 1TB space in 2 partitions(Drive C for OS and Programs, Drive D... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mrkhew, Oct 4, 2018.

1. mrkhew Win User

Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...

I'm looking for a proper procedure of how I should do it.

My scenario:
    Current HDD with 1TB space in 2 partitions(Drive C for OS and Programs, Drive D for documents,music,movies,etc).

I've one M.2 SSD which newly installed(Samsung 860 Evo) and would like to make it become the OS drive by reinstalling Windows to get "fresh install".

BIOS SATA Setting: RAID mode, which I would like to change to AHCI mode cause it provides better performance for SSD(correct me if I'm wrong)

My possible solutions:
    1. Unplug HDD from my laptop
    2. Go to BIOS change SATA setting from RAID to AHCI(Am I able to do this after I remove HDD or I should do this before I remove my HDD?)
    3. Install M.2 SSD on my laptop
    4. Plug in Windows Creation Bootable PENDRIVE
    5. Install the Windows on SSD
    6. Plug in my HDD to get back all my files(At this point I understood the programs may not be used again and I have to reinstall all the programs)

Does my solutions correct or some of the sequence is wrong? Please correct me because I don't want to lose any data by doing this.

:)

mrkhew, Oct 4, 2018

2. HDD to new SSD Question

I'm going to upgrade my laptop with a SSD along side my HDD which currently has windows 10 on it, or course. My question is, is it possible to move that version of windows 10 on the new SSD and boot it from there or do I just have to run a clean version
    from the SSD?

Rodrick Boley, Oct 4, 2018
  3. Fresh Install of Windows 10 Home in new SSD

I have this Dell N4010 Laptop that I want to upgrade with an SSD and use the existing HDD as Data drive. I have an original windows of digital license.

Please suggest how I can install a fresh copy of the windows in my new SSD with the existing license. And please suggest how to activate the new installation of Windows.

Fahim.Anwar, Oct 4, 2018
  4. Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...

Windows 10 on HDD to a new SSD

I have recently replaced the 500 GB HDD in my laptop running Windows 10 with a 480 GB SSD. The laptop was fully configured with my applications and other settings. The steps I took were as follows:

1) Shrink the C: drive so it was significantly smaller than the SSD (by at least 100 GB) using the Disk Management tools in W10.

2) Copy all the files from D: onto an external HDD.

3) Download Ubuntu Linux and burn on to a DVD.

4) Download Windows 10 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and burn this on to a DVD.

5) Close down and boot the laptop from the Ubuntu DVD from step 3 (I used a USB DVD rewriter).

6) Plug in the external HDD.

7) Open a Linux terminal and cd to the external HDD.

8) Copy the C: partition to the external HDD using a command such as:

dd bs=1024k if=/dev/sda1 of=C-drive

where sda1 is adjusted to point to the correct partition.

9) Close down and remove the external HDD.

10) Remove the HDD and replace with the SSD.

11) Perform a clean install Windows 10 from the DVD from step 4. Deleting all partitions from the SSD if it has had any created on it. When it asked for the product key, there was an option to enter it later. Make sure that the C: drive that is created is
    the same size or bigger than the C: drive was on the HDD.

12) Repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 then run the command

dd bs=1024k if=C-drive of=/dev/sda4

With the clean install of W10 64bit, sda4 was the C: drive on the SSD after the installation.

13) Reboot from the SSD. The first couple of times my laptop reported errors and went into repair and diagnostic cycles. The last one said something like Reboot or Go to further tools. I cannot remember the exact messages but the meaning was as I have described.
    I rebooted and Windows 10 came up and ran perfectly.

14) With the SSD working I shrank the C: drive a few GB to make sure the physical space was the same size as the actual filesystem.

15) Create a D: format it and copy all the saved files on to the new D: from the external HDD.

Job done. All my applications worked perfectly and the laptop connected to my wireless network without needing the pass phrase re-entering. I had tried several other ways of cloning the HDD to the SSD, but as the SSD was 20 GB smaller this was the only way
    I managed to get it to work.

I hope this helps others to make the HDD to SSD transition.

Grangeland, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...

1. Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of... - Similar Threads - Question installing again

2. How to install Windows on SSD and everything else on HDD

in Windows 10 News
    How to install Windows on SSD and everything else on HDD: [IMG]This post will show you how to install Windows on SSD and everything else on HDD. Since SSDs offer significantly faster performance than traditional HDDs, installing the Windows operating system on an SSD is advantageous. Doing so will result in faster game launches and...
  3. Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing a new version of windows on SSD while using existing HDD as storage.: As said in the title, I am trying to install a new version of windows 10 onto my SSD but want to use my existing HDD as a storage drive. My HDD is currently running windows but I have been having troubles recently so I decided to buy a new copy using windows 10 pro but want...
  4. Question about intalling windows on new ssd

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about intalling windows on new ssd: I currently hava a SATA SSD and im getting a new one m.2 nvme. Do i have to re-install window on my new ssd to get the most benefits, or im fine keeping just windows on the old ssd and re-install my other programs on the new one. Im just lazy and i dont want to format...
  5. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  6. Installing New SSD Questions

Installing New SSD Questions: Hello, I am installing a new SSD in my younger brothers PC and just want to make sure that I know what I am doing before I do it. Against my better judgement he bought a prebuilt PC from bestbuy that didnt come with an SSD so naturally his OS is on a HDD, my question is what...
  7. New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question

New Windows install on SSD - Raid HDD Question: Hi, I had an issue with my boot drive in Windows 10 which ultimately resulted in me having to format and re-install windows on my SSD. Before doing so I unplugged my 3 HDD which are configured in a RAID configuration. Because the OS was on the SSD, I didnt want to have any...
  8. Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...

Question about installing Windows again on new SSD and remain everything in existing HDD of...: I'm looking for a proper procedure of how I should do it. My scenario: Current HDD with 1TB space in 2 partitions(Drive C for OS and Programs, Drive D for documents,music,movies,etc). I've one M.2 SSD which newly installed(Samsung 860 Evo) and would like to make it become...
  9. Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions on where to install programs on new PC (SSD or HDD?): Hi all, I'll be getting a new gaming Desktop PC in a few days time, and I've never had a computer with both a SSD and a HDD (the one I have now is nearly 11 years old! And it's all installed on a single HDD [though a lot of my files are on an External HDD to save room])....
  10. SSD dead - install OS on remaining HDD without deleting everything?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD dead - install OS on remaining HDD without deleting everything?: Hey! My SSD died earlier today, and I'm left trying to figure out what to do with my computer now that it doesn't have an OS. Is there an easy way to install preferably Windows 7 on my remaining HDD without deleting everything on it? Sorry if this question seems like a...