Windows 10: Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs

Discus and support Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Ok, so that's the situation right now if I click input methods on the taskbar:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SupremeOwlTerrorizer, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs

Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs _xx9T_RnZSnfUlk9nAZqd6qxNfSBnCWUJ5Jd6NNYI_w.jpg

Ok, so that's the situation right now if I click input methods on the taskbar:

https://preview.redd.it/8onig9gm1tz...bp&s=d9dc3c1f82f171ef861ff37696362343ed243f98

I would like for the bottom 3 input methods to disappear, but in the language settings that's what I see.

https://preview.redd.it/2wig1v102tz...bp&s=8ff04bf4f426e78dbd03a9826f20c44179f016c6

And if I click on options, it just shows the top 4 input methods, the ones that are actually supposed to be there:

https://preview.redd.it/c6m6v6p42tz...bp&s=2e9e99959182b0eaca13a89da5ef373ca1734968

Where on earth do I have to search to change the settings that are making the unwanted input methods show up?

submitted by /u/SupremeOwlTerrorizer
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SupremeOwlTerrorizer, Nov 17, 2020
  2. sba923 Win User

Adding a new input language must not add any keyboard layout

Suppose you're on a system with a French AZERTY layout physical keyboard and you want to enter text in both French and English.

You will add English to the list of input languages, but this will derive from this that you want the US QWERTY keyboard layout, which is plain wrong.

When adding a new input language, the associated keyboard layout must be the one currently in use.

Maybe, if there are multiple keyboard layouts installed, then that new input language could be associated with
    all those keyboard layouts.

IOW, if the current setup is "input language X, keyboard layout Y", if I add input language Z then it must be associated with keyboard layout Y, not some default layout inferred from Z.

The current links between input language and keyboard layout are just plain wrong:

1. you switch input languages only because you need to type text in different languages, not because you're using a different physical keyboard (or remoting from a machine with a different physical keyboard.

2. conversely, you change keyboard layouts because you have multiple physical keyboards, or because you're remoting into machine A that has physical keyboard X from machine B that has physical keyboard Y, not because you start entering text in a different
    language

BTW, note that the new Windows 10 to switch among (input language, keyboard layout) combinations using Win+SPACE makes this unnecessarily cumbersome and/or confusing for people using N multiple input languages
    and P multiple keyboard layouts, because they have to select from a list of N*P entries.

Do you concur?

Please comment!

P.S. I hope Microsoft will listen to Windows Insider Program and act! In any case, please upvote that feedback!

sba923, Nov 17, 2020
  3. Kari Win User
    Keyboard layout

Open Advanced Language Settings:

Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs [​IMG]

(Click screenshots to enlarge.)

Two settings here to check:

1. Override the default input language with your preferred input language, even if there's only one language on the list
    2. Don't let websites access the language list
    To be sure that the correct settings will be used for all user accounts created later, copy the settings:

4. Mohan B P Win User

Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs

Input language English, Keyboard German

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue with the Keyboard layout in Windows 10, let me assist you.

This issue might occur if the input method settings are not configured properly.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X key and select
      Control Panel from the menu.

• Click on Clock, Language, and Region option.

• Click on Language and click on
      Advanced settings
      in the left pane.

• Select the required input in the drop down menu under
      Override for default input method

• Click on Save.

If the required language is not listed, follow the steps below to add the required language and then perform the above mentioned changes.

• Press Windows key + I
      key and select Time & Language.

• Click on Region & language in the left pane, click on
      Add a language and select the required language from the list.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Mohan B P, Nov 17, 2020
Thema:

Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs

1. Question about keyboard layouts and language inputs - Similar Threads - Question keyboard layouts

2. Language Keyboard question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Language Keyboard question: Hi, I am trying to remove QAB Unknown locale qab-latn French keyboard language. Don't even know how it got here. My main languages installed are English US and Russian. Please help. Very annoying! And thank you!...
  3. Language Keyboard question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Language Keyboard question: Hi, I am trying to remove QAB Unknown locale qab-latn French keyboard language. Don't even know how it got here. My main languages installed are English US and Russian. Please help. Very annoying! And thank you!...
  4. Windows keyboard languages layout

Windows keyboard languages layout: Hi. I have 3 languages for keyboard and usually I have only 3 tabs of these 3 languages, but sometimes I have 5 tabs. Like usually it's ENG, UA and RUS but sometimes it's two ENG intl/Uk, UAukre/ru and RUS, why is that?...
  5. question about keyboard default language

question about keyboard default language: hey guys i need help. every time i turn on my pc, my keyboard language is English automaticlly. i want my keyboard default language is Vietnamese every time i turn on the pc. anyone knows how? thanks for reading...
  6. Adding a new input language must not add any keyboard layout

Adding a new input language must not add any keyboard layout: Suppose you're on a system with a French AZERTY layout physical keyboard and you want to enter text in both French and English. You will add English to the list of input languages, but this will derive from this that you want the US QWERTY keyboard layout, which is plain...
  7. Language/keyboard layout not in settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Language/keyboard layout not in settings: Hi, I just got a new Win10 laptop (which I looooove btw) and there appears to be an unwanted keyboard layout skulking about. When I click the language tile (next to date/time) or use the Win + space shortcut, 3 languages are listed: English UK, German, and, unwantedly,...
  8. Why can't i change my keyboard language, input or layout?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Why can't i change my keyboard language, input or layout?: I tried everything. I went into the typing setting and changed it to UK, I wen't to language settings and changed it to UK, changed the keyboard to UK and did that in control panel too. Restarted my computer when it asked to restart. But it still uses US. Selecting it with...
  9. Questions about Hot Keys for input Languages

Questions about Hot Keys for input Languages: Hello. Would be grateful if any kind soul would explain me how to fix a problem. I use 4 languages quite frequently, so the hot keys sound quite nice. Yet when I try to set them up, I get slightly different options. To be specific, I want all my languages to be hot-keyed to...
  10. Keyboard Layout and Other Languages

Keyboard Layout and Other Languages: Just seeing if anyone has an answer to my conundrum. How do I change the keyboard layout for another language? For example, how can I make a USA QWERTY transliterate to Russian so Q=Q, W=W, E=E, R=R, and so on, not j=o, k=l or whatnot? When I select the Russian keyboard it...