Windows 10: Question about making a system image on an external hard drive

Discus and support Question about making a system image on an external hard drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; If I make a system image of version 1803 on an external hard drive (using the built in software of Windows 10) and in the future want to make an image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Mcd73165, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Mcd73165 Win User

Question about making a system image on an external hard drive

If I make a system image of version 1803 on an external hard drive (using the built in software of Windows 10) and in the future want to make an image of an updated version of Windows 10, can it be made on the same external drive or is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance for any input about this.
    Mark

:)

Mcd73165, Jan 26, 2019
  2. GitNet Win User

External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image

When trying to create a System Image in the "Backup and Restore" facility built into Windows 10, my External 2TB Hard Drive wasn't displayed as a viable location. After doing some digging, it was found in the same utility that the Hard Drive in question was labelled as "SYSTEM", and the drive would be required to be included as part of the image, and that the image couldn't be located on that drive, which, as the [external] hard drive already has around 450GiB+ on it, makes the total size of the backups around 600GiB, which won't fit on any other hard drive I have.

Sidenote:
    The 2TB Hard Drive is partitioned to include a 100GiB partition of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with the GRUB 2 Bootloader but as the partition isn't recognised by Windows, surely this can't be affecting the Partition Type.

Is there anything that I could do in order to remove the label from the Hard Drive, as I'm trying to create a System Image as a S.M.A.R.T. test on Ubuntu 16.04 suggested that there may be anywhere up to 190 Failing Sectors on my Internal 320GB Hard Drive.

Thanks in advance.

GitNet, Jan 26, 2019
  3. Seagate External Hard Drive

Hi Barbara,

Hardware failure or corruption within your system files are some of the possible reasons why you are experiencing an issue with accessing your external hard drive. For us to provide an accurate solution, we would need you to answer the following questions:

• Which build, version and edition of Windows 10?
    • Are you experiencing the same issue when you are trying to access the external hard drive using another PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest running the automated troubleshooter for hardware. Follow these steps to do so:

• Open the Control Panel.
    • Using the search box at the upper right corner of the window, type troubleshooting.
    • From the search results, click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on Hardware and Sound and then choose Hardware and Devices.
    • Once done, restart your computer and then check if the same issue persists.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Jan 26, 2019
  4. Anon7861 Win User

Capacity of external system image hard drive

In creating a system image, what capacity hard drive the backup must be saved on?
    Should the capacity of the external hard drive equal or exceed that of the source drive?

In the event of a system crash, how is the operating system restored with the system image created?

Anon7861, Jan 26, 2019
Thema:

1. Question about making a system image on an external hard drive - Similar Threads - Question making system

2. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  3. Question about external hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about external hard drive: I have an external hard drive and I'm using BitLocker on it. What will happen to it if I connect to the computer using windows under 10? Can I access this?...
  4. Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't Create System Image on External Hard Drive: Recently my ssd had started failing so I replaced it with 2 new ones. I'm trying to transfer the os from the old ssd to the new one. I read online that I need to make a system repair disc and a system image. I was able to create the system repair disc with no issues however I...
  5. Restore System Image From External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Restore System Image From External Hard Drive: Ok, so here's the situation... I'll start out with the fact that I'm somewhat tech savvy. I'm 36, and have been working on computers since I was 6. I taught myself BASIC at 10. I'm no expert, but I'm not your average user. I normally search for my solutions on the internet,...
  6. Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Using system Image external hard drive or system repair disc.: Could some one give me step by step instructions on how to use either a system repair disc or a system image on a external hard drive. My computer has been acting up, losing files, documents, music and pictures, right clicking on start button will not produce context menu,...
  7. External Hard Drive Questions

External Hard Drive Questions: I am looking at getting an External Hard Drive for Christmas to back up all of my photos to it since I take a lot of pictures. I don’t want to waste my PC’s storage on pictures. My Hard Drive on my HP PC is 1TB. What storage capacity should I go with for an External Hard...
  8. Question About Create System Image

Question About Create System Image: If you create a system image using Create System Image in Backup and Restore and save it to an internal hard drive in an enclosure connected via usb, can you just use that as a replacement hard drive and just replace your current hard drive and use the one the System Image is...
  9. External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Toshiba Drive Labelled as 'System' when making System Image: When trying to create a System Image in the "Backup and Restore" facility built into Windows 10, my External 2TB Hard Drive wasn't displayed as a viable location. After doing some digging, it was found in the same utility that the Hard Drive in question was labelled as...
  10. question about a system image

question about a system image: I have a asus laptop i couldnt get my printer to work. well it came down to i have been infected with some very bad trojans and virus. they couldn have fixed it for 109 bucks but i dont have that kind of money. I have system Image on a external hdd. If i put that on my laptop...