Windows 10: Question about Microsoft account security

Discus and support Question about Microsoft account security in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey guys. So I logged into my MS account randomly to check my recent activity. A bit of paranoia since a few months ago I had some dude trying to hack... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Cirkusleader, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Question about Microsoft account security

Hey guys.

So I logged into my MS account randomly to check my recent activity. A bit of paranoia since a few months ago I had some dude trying to hack literally every account I own under the sun. (Seriously. Even useless crap like my Spotify or Town of Salem accounts)

So anyway, I saw a sign-in I didn't recognize... however I got ZERO verifications.

What I mean is, I have multi-factor verification enabled so to get into my account I either need to get a text with a code, or an email with a code.

Neither of these things happened, but apparently there was a successful sign in.

Here's the weirder part. In the MS account feed, it will tell you what happened during that session. So for example it will say "Successful sign in. Verification requested. Password changed" and so on.

The unknown sign in had "additional verification requested" listed about 10 times with no other activity.

So here's my concern... is there some way for people to just spam the verification thing and get some back door or set up a new verification method? Because from what it seems, that's the only way they could have successfully logged in. If so, is there some way to prevent this?

Thanks.

submitted by /u/Cirkusleader
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Cirkusleader, Mar 21, 2020

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Mar 21, 2020
  3. Microsoft account - Are security questions removed after I enabled the 2-step verification?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

Generally, a security question is helpful to recover your Microsoft account password, when you lose access to it. Enabling Two-step verification won't effect your security question, instead it is an advanced security feature that makes it harder for someone
    to break in to your account with just a stolen password. To replace your security info

• Go to
      Security settings
      , and sign in with your Microsoft account.

• If you’re asked to enter a security code to continue, and you can’t get that code, choose
      I don't have any of these or I can't verify my account from the drop-down list, then follow the instructions to reset your security info.

• On the Security settings page, your security info is under Security info helps keep your account secure. Choose
      Remove for any you want to remove. You may be prompted to add new security info before you can remove the old info.

If you remove all of your security info, there’s a 30-day wait during which we help protect sensitive parts of your account so nobody can change your security settings or use your payment options. During this period you can still use your email, Skype,
    OneDrive, and devices as usual. After the 30 days, you’ll be notified that the wait is over and it’s time to enter new security info.

Learn more

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Mar 21, 2020
  4. zsolt_93 Win User

Question about Microsoft account security

Windows 8 with 2 Microsoft accounts?

You could create a secondary account that is Microsoft account and leave the current one as it is. And it should only sync the Microsoft acc. eneabled user and you can still have your old things as they always were, in case you question MS security and what they might collect about you.

zsolt_93, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

Question about Microsoft account security

1. Question about Microsoft account security - Similar Threads - Question Microsoft account

2. question about my microsoft account

in Windows 10 Customization
    question about my microsoft account: Hi,so I am planning to change the email address for my microsoft account, so i added a new alias and am planning to make it the primary email address and remove the old one, will doing that delete my microsoft store purchases? because i bought minecraft for windows 10 on that...
  3. Question about user accounts/security

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about user accounts/security: Windows recommends a standard user account. All these years I have been installing and using the main default account you create when you fresh install windows 10. I heard that this is possibly not safe? I know there is a hidden "Administrator" account and I assumed that was...
  4. Question About Microsoft Account

Question About Microsoft Account: hi, what happens if i remove my account microsoft on windows 10 settings , didn't loss any my data ? or just removed on my device laptop?or on website microsoft ?[ATTACH]thanks if supporter helps me my question![ATTACH]...
  5. Account Security Questions Microsoft

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Account Security Questions Microsoft: I woke up this morning with a notice stating that somebody at 4:30 in the morning accessed my account by using my security questions. I've gone through and changed my password and security contact information and added an authenticatin app as well as remove all trusted...
  6. Account Security Questions Microsoft

Account Security Questions Microsoft: I woke up this morning with a notice stating that somebody at 4:30 in the morning accessed my account by using my security questions. I've gone through and changed my password and security contact information and added an authenticatin app as well as remove all trusted...
  7. Question about licenses and Microsoft accounts

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about licenses and Microsoft accounts: If my system says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account", will it still reactivate if I reinstall without the MS account? submitted by /u/andrew_982_ [link] [comments]...
  8. Question about Microsoft Accounts

Question about Microsoft Accounts: The issue : The Taskbar crashes everyday when the Windoes Shell Experience Host stops working I have tried ALL you can imagine to fix this, even Microsoft tried to fix it and then they replaced my Surface Book 2 because they couldnt make it stop crashing. Nothing worked, I...
  9. A question about security

A question about security: So, first of all sorry for asking this question again but. Recently I upgraded to the Fall update for Windows 10, and ditched Avast as I feel it used to be a great software but not anymore sadly. So the main question is, if you guys could suggest a software that is good...
  10. Question about accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Question about accounts: What is the DefaultAppPool account folder for? 86363