Windows 10: Question about NVMe SSD Adapter Cards

Discus and support Question about NVMe SSD Adapter Cards in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My computer is a Dell XPS 8700, and the only onboard SSD port is for an mSATA sized SSD; I got a standard 2.5" sized SSD (samsung 860 evo) as my OS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by BrokenDaily, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Question about NVMe SSD Adapter Cards

My computer is a Dell XPS 8700, and the only onboard SSD port is for an mSATA sized SSD; I got a standard 2.5" sized SSD (samsung 860 evo) as my OS drive, and it has been good for my system when I got it and beyond. But I found a somewhat good deal for a 1 TB NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Evo Plus), and I want to ask a question I hope can be answered

If I get an adapter card for my computer like this, either from ebay or amazon or whatever other retailer its bought from, and use an NVMe SSD on it, will there be any performance drop at all compared to using it on a motherboard that has an NVMe capable slot on it?

:)

BrokenDaily, Feb 14, 2020

2. Clone present nvme pcie ssd to replacement nvme pcie ssd?

I have a 500GB M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD (boot drive) that I want to replace with a higher capacity M.2 card.

Where do I put the new SSD during the NVMe to NVMe cloning process? My mobo only has one M.2 slot for NVMe SSD's so do I want to use an external adapter for one of the M.2 cards? If so, do you have a recommendation?

If you have solved this issue for your desktop or laptop I would like your advice on if and what extra hardware you needed during the cloning.

please remember that I am dealing with PCIe NVMe drives ONLY. NO Sata is involved except possibly for a connecting cable from the desktop to an adapter. I am experienced with cloning SATA III drives but cloning NVMe is a little
    new to me.

Computer: Dell XPS 8920, 32GB ram.

Present SSD: KXG50ZNV512G NVMe Toshiba 512GB

New SSD: CT13049074 Crucial P1 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD 1TB (or 2TB if available soon) or similar storage device.

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations, version 1809.

Cbarnhorst, Feb 14, 2020
  3. NVME SSD

Tried this, and windows still didn't see the nvme ssd. It was a brand new nvme ssd right out of the box. Nothing works.

AdrianLucke72, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Question about NVMe SSD Adapter Cards

Windows refuses to install on NVME SSD (Samsung 960 EVO)

First, thanks everyone who copy-pasted the first relevant results they found in Google. I found those before I asked the question.

The solution that I got to work is as follows:

• Disable CSM / UEFI
    • Enable Secure Boot
    • Now the installer can access the NVME SSD
      • Format the drive
      • Restart the machine

• Enable CSM / UEFI

• Disable Secure Boot

• Proceed to installer and now Windows will allow you to install to the NVME SSD drive

MikeIsMike, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Question about NVMe SSD Adapter Cards

1. Question about NVMe SSD Adapter Cards - Similar Threads - Question NVMe SSD

2. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  3. question: M.2 NVMe SSD options

in Windows 10 Support
    question: M.2 NVMe SSD options: On my existing machine, I have a 1TB GEN3 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Pro), connect via a PCIe3 addon card. It works fine. Soon I will be upgrading my motherboard to a modern board with 2 built-n GEN4 M.2 slots. The new CPU will be AMD Ryzen 7 3800X. I'm considering getting...
  4. Not able to boot from M2 NVME SSD card

Not able to boot from M2 NVME SSD card: I decided to upgrade my old Gigabyte board desktop to include NVME SSD -- so I bought a Micro Connections PCI-e NVME card and mounted a Crucial NVME SSD on it. The problem is that Windows sees it just fine -- so I used Macro Reflect to clone my OS drive to the SSD but when I...
  5. Question about new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about new SSD: Hi, I'll get straight to the point. I've been using my HDD for a long time now and I tried to update my windows and it just wont update. Not through the updater integrated in windows, the update asistant or even using the image tool ISO or direct Upgrade. It just keeps on...
  6. Questions about moving to an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Questions about moving to an SSD: I'd like to move my Windows to from an HDD to an SSD and thought it would be a good idea to do a fresh installation while I'm at it. It's my first time doing this so I have a few questions I hope you can help me with. What is the best way to do it, a bootable USB-drive?...
  7. Question about booting from NVMe drive

Question about booting from NVMe drive: I have a brand new Ryzen 2700X system with an X470 motherboard and I bought my first NVMe drive to go with it. My plan is to use it as my boot drive, and I am cloning my current boot drive to it. My question is do I need to do anything specific to get the NVMe drive to boot?...
  8. Question about video cards

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Question about video cards: I have 2 video cards 1 i bought and the other my friend gavve me. 1st one is nvidea GTX 1070 i believe it is 8 gig ram gddr5 ass i dont think there is a 6 gig 1070, it has according to the specs VR and 3D i dont think it does 4k as its max reso is 1440p. The other video card...
  9. Questions About Optimising SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Questions About Optimising SSD: Hi, I recently got a new windows 10 system with a 512 GB M.2 SSD and just got around to doing a defrag. I notice it's a bit of a different animal now, optimise seems to be the new defrag. I'm not very technically minded and I'm hoping to get some pointers. On my old HDD...
  10. Question About Defragmenting An SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Defragmenting An SSD: So every time I open up Defraggler, I see so much fragmentation in the main drive, which is an SSD. I am already aware that defragmenting an SSD tends to shorten its life over a period of time. Yet when you "Optimize" an SSD, isn't that doing a same amount of harm on the...