Windows 10: Question about possible scam

Discus and support Question about possible scam in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I have been contact by a company that claims I have been using there software for the past two years with a electronic signed contract(emailed me... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by PamelaDelehanty, Nov 22, 2019.

1. Question about possible scam

I have been contact by a company that claims I have been using there software for the past two years with a electronic signed contract(emailed me proof)I have looked for this software on my computer and cannot find it anywhere. The company is called US Info Solutions (*** Email address is removed for privacy *** +1-239-935-5073 (USA/CANADA) +44-144-278-0224 (U.K). Claiming that they installed the following on my computer....Defraggler, C-cleaner and network protection including firewall protection. I have gone through my emails as well as my computer and I don't see this anywhere. So I told them I don't want to renew, now they are telling me I would have to return the software, etc. Curious if this has happened to anyone else. As if this is a scam?

Here is our conversation(plus they even gave me a call on my home phone)...

On Nov 21, 2019, at 12:09 PM, paul Thompson <*** Email address is removed for privacy ***> wrote:

Dear Sir/Ma'am

Greetings to you,

This mail is to inform you about the computer services that you have taken with "TEKSQUAD" for two years on 11/29/2017 ( Wednesday) by paying of $299.98 including taxes. Now the services will be expired by 11/28/2019 ( Thursday) at 11:59 pm.

If you are satisfied & happy with our online support and want to continue the services for same plan with the discounted price of $249.98 including taxes or increase the warranty period of online services with the best price than please feel free to call us on our Customer Care Number (+1-2399355073) or revert us back on the same e-mail.

OR

If you want to cancel the services for any reason than kindly feel free to call us on our Customer Care Number (+1-239-935-5073) to give our software back or revert usback on the same e-mail to clear your total out-standing bill of $149.98* .

(Out-standing amount is only applicable when customer is cancelling the services and if they are not able to give the software back to the company for any reason)

NOTE:- There is an auto-renewable on your services with the yearly charges (starting on 11/29/2019 at 00:01 am) kindly revert us back as soon as possible to avoid any kind of late fine or charges. Your activation code is TEKI090119MUF.

Thank you,

Regards,
    Paul Thompson
    (Senior Customer Care Executive)

My response:

I believe you sent this to the wrong person...I’ve never heard of this company and don’t know anything about this

His response:

Greetings to you,

Thank you for your response. This mail is to inform you that you have taken the services with us in 2017 and as per your request we are sending you the duplicate copy of electronically signed documents with your signature register with your IP address on it, kindly find the PDF attachment as we can not disclose any of your financial details on email for the security reasons. And I do request you to follow the procedure and complete the reactivation/cancellation before the due date to avoid any extra charges as there is an auto-reactivation of your services.Kindly feel free to call us or mail us for further assistance.

(Out-standing amount is only applicable when customer is cancelling the services and if they are not able to give the software back to the company for any reason. THERE IS NO SERVICE CANCELLATION CHARGES)

Thank you,

Regards,

Paul Thompson
    (Senior Customer Care Executive)

My response:

I’m so confused I really don’t remember signing up for this. I have been using an MSN email account for years. Can you please let me know what this product does?

His response:

Greetings to you,

Thank you for your response. This mail is to inform you that you have taken the services with us in 2017 and as per your request we are sending you the duplicate copy of electronically signed documents with your signature register with your IP address on it, kindly find the PDF attachment as we can not disclose any of your financial details on email for the security reasons. And I do request you to follow the procedure and complete the reactivation/cancellation before the due date to avoid any extra charges as there is an auto-reactivation of your services.Kindly feel free to call us or mail us for further assistance.

(Out-standing amount is only applicable when customer is cancelling the services and if they are not able to give the software back to the company for any reason. THERE IS NO SERVICE CANCELLATION CHARGES)

My response:
    I have gone through my computer, I don't have any such software installed call Teksquad. Guessing I purchased it, but never used it. Or that it was on my old computer that crashed and never was able to be fixed. I will not be renewing this subscription, since my computer works fine without it. I went through my anything computer related box and don't see any CD's of any kind with US solutions or Tekquad written on it.

After that last email, I got a call on my home phone...

Curious if this is a scam?

:)

PamelaDelehanty, Nov 22, 2019
  2. Smeed Win User
    Smeed, Nov 22, 2019
  3. Sharief K Win User
    Possible scam?

Hi Thomas,

I can understand the situation you are going through. To help you further, we need the following information.

• Which Microsoft website have you visited?
    • What is the phone number that you have contacted?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to refer to the links for more information on possible scams.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/msname.aspx

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam - Microsoft Security

@ bhringer, thank you for bringing this to our notice.

Please get back to us with the above information.

Sharief K, Nov 22, 2019
  4. Question about possible scam

Possible virus or scam

As already mentioned:

All these kind of pop-ups/alerts are fake warnings - scams. Never ever call these numbers.

Please read:
    Beware of Phony Tech Support Scams

Normally you just close your browser:
    https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/

8 Ways to Open Windows Task Manager - wikiHow

You might want to run a quick scan with your Anti-Virus program.

In case you keep on getting these fake alerts:

Follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

Suggestion to read:

You might want to report this to Microsoft (but you don't have to):
    http://support.microsoft.com/reportascam

and you might want to watch:

Fake Tech Support Scams – video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit

Jsssssssss, Nov 22, 2019
Thema:

Question about possible scam

1. Question about possible scam - Similar Threads - Question possible scam

2. Possible Scam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible Scam: This morning a virus announcement reported from Windows with a response telephone #1-844-528-12312. A gentleman with a middle who wanted me to execute a command www.support.qp or pq which I did not know. I hung up, then received call back from same gentleman with tel #...
  3. Possible Scam

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Possible Scam: I am repeatedly getting a window saying some of my servers are out of date and I need to 'register' to get an update. The name of the sender is too small for me to read. Is this a scam?...
  4. Question about possible security incident

Question about possible security incident: Hello I have a question about Fortnite Lobby’s and if someone can take your ip threw them because today we invited someone that was in my friends twitch chat and they did a 1v1 and things got heated long story short the kid said he pulled our ips and now I’m worried because...
  5. Concern about possible scam

Concern about possible scam: I keep getting a message on my desktop that says "Some of your accounts require attention", asking me to go to Shared Experiences under Settings to "fix it". I am concerned this is some type of scam. Is this legitimate?...
  6. Possible scam

Possible scam: I had occasion to use my backup computer today, an older model hp. It fired right up, ran fast and clean and the graphics were good. After a couple of hours I got a message, presumably from, I thought, Microsoft informing me that PowerApp had been disabled and gave me the...
  7. possible scam

possible scam: I keep receiving a pop up that reads-"One DRIVE ISN'T SIGNED ON". Is this a scam? What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/possible-scam/e5fbd1f4-8fca-4732-be4b-75d24bf02fe2
  8. Possibled scam

Possibled scam: Over the last couple days my lap top has a error message pop up, It states my computer has harmful virus install call mico soft tech at 1 716-406-4636 9 this legit. Microsoft support...
  9. Possible scam

Possible scam: Receiving calls (2-3 within 30 minutes) from a Catherine claiming to be from Microsoft telling me that my computer was compromised by many foreign countries and that I need to reset my computer....
  10. possible scam

possible scam: hi I have awake to a system warning pop up and a loud continuous beep sound also another pop up box that says "Wait" the windows firewall has detected that you have not updated your windows system It remains damaged and vulnerable ** do not leave this page until you have...