Windows 10: Question about power/current in monitor cords?

Discus and support Question about power/current in monitor cords? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hey guys quick question I have noticed something at first by accident and now often, Does a DP/hdmi/DVI cord carry a current/power/static in it? or can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rinji07, Aug 16, 2019.

1. rinji07 Win User

Question about power/current in monitor cords?

Hey guys quick question I have noticed something at first by accident and now often, Does a DP/hdmi/DVI cord carry a current/power/static in it? or can it? The reason I ask is the other night I was plugging up my mini itx build at work and I went to plug in the HDMI cable to it and I noticed a soft blue electric almost static like light when the metal from the HDMI cable touched the metal backing of the GPU.

I thought well this isn't good so I bought a new cable thinking the old one might be bad right? (this was last night mind you) So today I get home and I am undoing my DVI cable from my main pc to hook up a club3d DP cable gold plated etc. I noticed that same blue tiny light as it was dark is this normal? I touched it to the case a few times / back of the gpu and it stopped so I was thinking it was static build up possibly? and that worries me as I know how sensitive hardware can be!

Is there any precautions I can take personally to prevent this? Or should I be worried about premature hardware failure due to this? or am I just going crazy in the end?

P.S. The cable at work was a HDMI to DP cable(insignia) Monitor end was hdmi, gpu end was DP, if that helps any.*Huh*Huh

P.P.S. Thing I noticed was the cords was plugged into monitor and they was powered and both machines are powered by evga supernova PSU's as well as plugged into a surge protector and as far as I know are grounded out.

:)

rinji07, Aug 16, 2019
  2. RoeJ Win User

Rca 2in1tablet power cord.

I need to replace the power cord on my RCA 2in1 tablet, but am having a hard time finding one to fit. Tried two different universal cords from Walmart and neither fit correctly to start charging. Any suggestions?

3. Power Cord

My puppy chewed my power cord. How do I find out where the info is on what type my computer is and what type of cord I need so I can order another power cord?

Bubblegirl57, Aug 16, 2019
  4. Borg 386 Win User

Lenovo recalls more than 500,000 power cords due to spark

Lenovo recalls more than 500,000 power cords due to spark, burn risk

Lenovo recalls more than 500,000 power cords due to spark, burn risk | PCWorld

Borg 386, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

1. Question about power/current in monitor cords? - Similar Threads - Question power current

2. Question about Monitor Drivers

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Monitor Drivers: Hi all! Thanks for reading my post, I know this is not an issue, but I would like to know a little bit more regarding this topic.I recently purchased a new Monitor and after getting it working after a refusal to work via Display port, I got it fully functions, and it has been...
  3. Question about Power Toys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about Power Toys: I'm trying to use the Awake feature in Power Toys. I have it set up to start up at Windows 11 Startup. It's set up to delay sleep for 3 hours after startup. I suppose this will only work once. I want to repeat this delay at a later hour, say at 6 PM the same day. How can this...
  4. Question about Power Toys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about Power Toys: I'm trying to use the Awake feature in Power Toys. I have it set up to start up at Windows 11 Startup. It's set up to delay sleep for 3 hours after startup. I suppose this will only work once. I want to repeat this delay at a later hour, say at 6 PM the same day. How can this...
  5. Questions about multiple monitors.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Questions about multiple monitors.: Hello, newbie here! I am looking to have several monitors set up in different rooms of our business. Don't want separate computers, but monitors only pulling from main office computer. Either each monitor showing all information about each section of the business (from Excel...
  6. Question about power settings.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about power settings.: So my friend was showing me in his control panel that he has a setting that i think is called performance boosted mode, instead of the high performance mode that I have on my control panel. He said it is a new feature since he got it after he updated windows, but after I...
  7. Question about monitors

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about monitors: Is it possible to use my laptop as a second monitor using a wire? I don't want to use wireless because I don't always have connection. Thanks in advance. Preferably free, but low cost should be fine. submitted by /u/Faramir_1233 [link] [comments]...
  8. power cord

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power cord: i am having a problem not having to use my power cord i am currenty using my battery for now what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-cord/4ea518d3-4d89-4628-860e-3aa6e6436739
  9. Universal power cord

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Universal power cord: I had to purchase a universal power cord for my Dell laptop. It plugs in but won't charge. Any way I can get the laptop to charge??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/universal-power-cord/ec366f36-ccc6-4119-8239-570738282c95
  10. Power Cord

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power Cord: My puppy chewed my power cord. How do I find out where the info is on what type my computer is and what type of cord I need so I can order another power cord? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-cord/8233434f-97a6-4b3d-b9d7-a5f9ee2e9cd8