Windows 10: question about reinstalling windows 10 onto a new nvme drive after a hardware upgrade

Discus and support question about reinstalling windows 10 onto a new nvme drive after a hardware upgrade in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Will this work? (windows 10 reinstall +hardware upgrade question) Right now, i’m planning to upgrade my cpu, gpu, mobo, ram, and add an nvme drive.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Headline123, Jan 17, 2021.

1. question about reinstalling windows 10 onto a new nvme drive after a hardware upgrade

Will this work? (windows 10 reinstall +hardware upgrade question)

Right now, i’m planning to upgrade my cpu, gpu, mobo, ram, and add an nvme drive. Currently I have 2 SSDs in my computer. Here are the steps that I am going to take to reinstall windows when I upgrade

1. Move all the things i want to save from my original C Drive SSD onto my secondary SSD

2. Upgrade all the hardware

3. Unplug my secondary SSD

4. Make sure that only my C Drive SSD and new NVME are connected

5. Delete all partitions from my original boot drive/C Drive SSD. (can i do this instead of pressing format?)

6. install windows onto the new NVME

7. Plug the secondary SSD back in. (will my secondary SSD still function properly and have all my stuff on it after this process?

Do i have these steps in the right order, and more importantly will this work???

just to recap, i’m reinstalling windows, i currently have it on an SSD, i want to have it on my new NVME when i reinstall.

submitted by /u/Headline123
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Headline123, Jan 17, 2021

2. Reinstall Windows 10 to new hard drive

Hi Rodolpho,

We want to know about the issue you're having with your recovery drive. Please answer the questions below:

• Are you trying to reinstall Windows 8 or Windows 10?
    • If you already upgraded to Windows 10, were you able to create a new copy of the recovery drive?

We suggest creating a new copy of the recovery drive and then follow the steps provided by Andre Da Costa above this thread.

Update us with the outcome so we can assist you further.

Robert Caw, Jan 17, 2021
  3. Installing new NvMe drive and using it as primary boot runnig windows 10

Hello,

I have a preinstalled windows 10 along with 30+ apps(both from manufacturer and third party) running on my desktop. I recently bought the Samsung 960 evo NvMe drive and would like to use it as my new boot drive. I know that I have to create a bootable usb
    drive, disconnect all other SSD/HDD, leave only the NvMe drive, install windows on it and then reconnect all the drives back.

I would like to understand how I could create an ISO image of my preinstalled windows 10(along with all the updates, hardware drivers and apps) and make a bootable USB out of it. Is it possible? if so, could anyone list the steps needed or point me to a
    thread or post online? Thank you.

SusheelPalkamsetti, Jan 17, 2021
  4. question about reinstalling windows 10 onto a new nvme drive after a hardware upgrade

Windows 10 installer don't detect NVMe drive

I have 2 drives:

• disk1 (SATA SSD, with Ubuntu 16.04)
      • partition1 (sda1: flag /boot)
      • partition2 (sda2: flag /home, encrypted by LUKS)
    • disk2 (NVMe SSD)

So, the goal is to install Windows 10 on disk2 and boot it from GRUB (which is on sda1).

What is the problem ?

In disk-choose step, disk2 is missing. However Ubuntu 14.04 installer "see" this disk, so I assume that is software issue, rather than my hardware.

What I tried to solve this problem ?

• loaded Samsung NVMe drivers from this thread
    • patched Windows image using DISM tool by adding 2 updates. I followed this guide
    • tried to run Windows 10 installed on USB stick to install it

All of them failed.

Please help me to solve this issue.

WojciechCe, Jan 17, 2021
Thema:

question about reinstalling windows 10 onto a new nvme drive after a hardware upgrade

1. question about reinstalling windows 10 onto a new nvme drive after a hardware upgrade - Similar Threads - question reinstalling onto

2. Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?: I haven't played with the options on upgrading to Windows 11, but I'm about to install an M2 drive into a system with only a regular HD that is also asking if I want to upgrade to Win11.I recall one of the times I upgraded a system to win11 being asked if I wanted to do a...
  3. Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?: I haven't played with the options on upgrading to Windows 11, but I'm about to install an M2 drive into a system with only a regular HD that is also asking if I want to upgrade to Win11.I recall one of the times I upgraded a system to win11 being asked if I wanted to do a...
  4. Upgrade to win11 onto a new drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Tips for installing Windows 10 Pro onto a new NVMe Drive

Tips for installing Windows 10 Pro onto a new NVMe Drive: Hello, I have just acquired a 500GB Western Digital Black SN750 NVMe M.2 2280 SSD. I am wanting to set this up as my boot drive and install Windows 10 x64 Pro. I will do this using the Media Creation Tool, running the Windows setup on a USB. My question: is there anything...
  6. Question about windows reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about windows reinstall: Hello, On the Microsoft site about Windows installation it says that you need a 8GB usb flash drive for the iso file thing. Well, my USB flash drive is only 7.20gb, is it still gonna work? I'm gonna reinstall my OS tomorrow so I would gladly accept any advice. Thanks in...
  7. Question about booting from NVMe drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about booting from NVMe drive: I have a brand new Ryzen 2700X system with an X470 motherboard and I bought my first NVMe drive to go with it. My plan is to use it as my boot drive, and I am cloning my current boot drive to it. My question is do I need to do anything specific to get the NVMe drive to boot?...
  8. questions about reinstalling windows 10

questions about reinstalling windows 10: so i want to reinstall windows 10due to some problems , i have some questions regarding data loss eetc i want to reinstall without losing any data , i have games , musics , pictures , videos and many other things , and i dont want to lose them , is it possible to reinstall...
  9. Upgrade onto a new drive?

Upgrade onto a new drive?: I have windows 7 on a 750GB drive at the moment, but I want to install 10 on my SSD which only has 30 GB of space. Of course, I don't want to have to re-install all my data. If I go the upgrade route, will I have an option to choose which drive I install the windows files to?...
  10. Question about after an upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about after an upgrade: Hi, after upgrading 8.1 to win 10 Home, i have a "Windows.old" directory. can i safely delete it seeing as i have no plans of downgrading it back to 8.1. Thank You in advance if you answer *Smile 45487