Windows 10: Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System

Discus and support Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am doing an upgrade on my laptop, increasing the RAM to 32GB and installing a 1 TB SSD and a 2 TB SSD. Both are Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 SATA III. I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ryevick, Dec 27, 2019.

1. ryevick Win User

Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System

I am doing an upgrade on my laptop, increasing the RAM to 32GB and installing a 1 TB SSD and a 2 TB SSD. Both are Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 SATA III.

I'm trying to figure out which one I should use as my OS Drive. The main purpose of the laptop will be for music production and dealing with very large sound libraries (50 - 500GB). I'm wondering if it would read/perform faster if I put the 2 TB as the OS drive and install sound libraries on that drive instead of making the 2 TB the 2nd drive. I'm not sure if that would bog the system down or speed the system up with the 2 TB drive as the OS under this workload.

The data for read speeds I've seen, seems to be referring to the speed at which an over OS can transfer data to and from a different drive, not within itself. I don't know which is faster and I'm confusing myself just trying to explain this, hopefully you understand what I'm saying.

By the way this will be a fresh install of Windows onto the drive there's not going to be any OS transfer.

:)

ryevick, Dec 27, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Slow HDD read and write speeds

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will require a few more information from you to help you further with the issue. Please reply with the following details:

• In which device are you facing this issue?
    • Are you using an external HDD or internal HDD?
    • Are you getting the read and write speed issue on any particular application?

However, you can Disk Defragment on your computer to optimize the drive. To run Disk Defragment please follow the steps from the article

Defragment your Windows 10 PC

Alternatively, you can check for the read and write speed of the HDD in task manager. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check the read and write speed of the hard drive:

1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc key together on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Performance tab.
    3. Click on Disk 0.
    4. You will find the Read speed and
      Write speed
      at the bottom of the window.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Dec 27, 2019
  3. Melvis Win User
    SSD Read/Write speed question!

Hi guys, I just installed a New SSD into my dads computer and I want to know if the speeds are good or not?

Im sorta new when it comes to SSD's so im not sure if ive missed anything.

Ive set all BIOS options to AHCI and ive run ATTO Benchmark to see the read/write score, to me i think its a little slow? as the website says it can do 560read and 535 write? Ive changed Sata cables and that made no difference in speed running sata 3 or sata 2 cables.

Anyway the SSD is a 128GB Corsair GS on a AM3 870A-UD3 motherboard.

*Toast :toast:

Melvis, Dec 27, 2019
  4. Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System

Harddisk queries, partition questions and read/write speeds

I've always struggled to grasp quite exactly what it is that determines read/write transfer directions on drives as well as the correlation between benchmarks on hard disks and real world usage.

The first question is whether or not the drive your sending a file to is being written to, or is reading the data that's coming in. Are they the same operation or treated differently? The speed being reported, is this the drive that's sending the file or the one receiving it?

For the benchmarks, most of them show peak burst but not sustainable throughput and similarly so do reviews. Yet when you actually move anything but a single compressed file, you get speeds that are half what testing programs or reviews would suggest.
    Why is it that reviewers never seem to just transfer random files manually and treat that as 'real world?'

Lastly, as per below picture, this is how my drives settled after putting in a second SSD and installing Windows onto it.

Unnamed EFI partition: SSD Disk 0
    C: - Windows installation permanent SSD Disk 0
    F: - Old Windows installation/temporary storage SSD Disk 1
    D: - Storage HDD Disk 2
    E: - 'System Reserved' EFI partition with data on it SSD Disk 1

For the unnamed EFI partition, it's great that it's the first partition on the disk however it's empty? What's the point of it then?
    Is E: necessary?
    Why is the EFI partition from Disk 1 listed as "Active and primary?"

Conversely, when I load up the old SSD, there's no EFI partitions for either disk showing in Explorer.

I am feeling OCD a bit on this and would like to clean it up so that everything is as should be.

Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System 21b7nnt.jpg

newconroer, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System

1. Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System - Similar Threads - Question SSD Read

2. 100% usage on SSD with no read or write

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% usage on SSD with no read or write: One day I shut down my PC and the next morning my drive was at 100% usage and every time I tried to open the drive on the file explorer it freezes up and restarts. I tried formatting the drive but was unable to since it was "in use". I've tried all I can to resolve the issue...
  3. ssd 100% activity, but no reads/writes system freezes

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ssd 100% activity, but no reads/writes system freezes: So i've had a problem where my ssd reaches 100% activity, but 0 reads/writes.I dismissed it for a while, because i thought that my ssd was dying. I bought a new ssd in july, and i noticed that the issues were percisting. Windows was freshly installed, so there couldn't be...
  4. understanding reading and writing on SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    understanding reading and writing on SSD: Good day. I was wondering if someone could answer the following. Whenever I copy from my C partition on an SSD and paste into a different storage device (HDD, USB flash drive, RAMdisk), am I reading and / or writing on the original SSD? More generally, what actions constitute...
  5. Slow SSD Write Speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow SSD Write Speed: Slow SSD Write Speed Windows 10 build 1909 Recently I have installed 480 GB AS340 PANTHER SATA III SSD. I was getting good Read and write speed well above 500 MB/s Read, and 300 MB/s write. But it's been one week now I am getting my writing speed throttled in a midway. From...
  6. Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About SSD Read & Write Speeds Within The Same System: I am doing an upgrade on my laptop, increasing the RAM to 32GB and installing a 1 TB SSD and a 2 TB SSD. Both are Samsung 860 EVO 2.5 SATA III. I'm trying to figure out which one I should use as my OS Drive. The main purpose of the laptop will be for music production and...
  7. SSD read speed for games?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD read speed for games?: I just brought a Samsung 869 EVO to run some games off. The particularly game I playing on reaches a peak of around 250 MB/s read speed while the drive is capable of 570 MB/s. Wouldn't my game be loading faster if it was utilizing the maximum read speed of the SSD? 129744
  8. Read and write speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Read and write speed: Hello and my name is Lorenzo. I have an HDD that has a sequential read of 200mbs and a write of 187. I am getting 2mbs when downloading from steam. My hard drive in the device manager says ST2000dm006-2dm164. Does anyone know how to fix this?...
  9. Slow HDD read and write speeds

in Windows 10 Customization
    Slow HDD read and write speeds: Has MS solved the slow HDD read and write problems on Win 10? Is there an official fix for this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-hdd-read-and-write-speeds/ef724e8b-5a8d-46f7-9e41-8073d3692146
  10. SSD read write concern

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD read write concern: I have a 512gb ssd from Samsung. I sometimes record with FBX game recorder. But then the recordings dont meet my standards and i delete the files. Does this do read writes to my ssd? Will this damage my ssd? the files are a bit big, like 500mb-2gb sometimes. 115631