Question about Superfetch Service

Discus and support Question about Superfetch Service in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. My Desktop is an HP Windows 10 Home with Intel i5 7th gen processor and 12GB Ram. A while back I found that Superfetch caused 100% Disk usage which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mcd73165, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Mcd73165 Win User

Hi. My Desktop is an HP Windows 10 Home with Intel i5 7th gen processor and 12GB Ram. A while back I found that Superfetch caused 100% Disk usage which slowed down the computer to a crawl. After doing some research on this issue I decided to Disable the service. Today I did some more research on Superfetch/Prefetch and found this:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...iles-in-vista/
    So I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
    Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters and changed the EnablePrefetcher value to 2. Then I deleted the contents of the Prefetch Folder(except for Ready Boot) and restarted the computer. Then I opened a few programs and checked the Prefetch Folder and noticed the programs that I opened are being shown in the Prefetch Folder. By changing that registry entry to 2 it is only supposed to prefetch the boot folders. So basically my question is will this only work on Windows Vista or should it also work on Windows 10. Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

Mcd73165, Jul 6, 2018
  2. Romel Ram Win User

Superfetch

Hi Mikey,

We understand that you're trying to disable the Superfetch and other services permanently. You can follow the steps below as your reference:

1. Hold the Windows key, while pressing “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.

2. Type “services.msc“, then press “Enter“.

3. The Services window displays. Find “Superfetch” in the list.

4. Right-click “Superfetch“, then select “Properties“.

5. Select the “Stop” button if you wish to stop the service.

Feel free to post again if you have other concerns.

Romel Ram, Jul 6, 2018
  3. Arthur Rui Win User
    Disable Superfetch permanently

Hi,

Certain programs can be disabled as long as it is on the services list. To isolate the issue, please provide the following information:

• Is Superfetch available on the list of services for your Windows 10 device?
    • Is high CPU usage for Superfetch showing even before?
    • If no, when did the issue start to occur?

Regards.

Arthur Rui, Jul 6, 2018
  4. TomerLahav Win User

Superfetch does not exist on my computer

Background: Recently while playing different PC games I ran into massive fps drops occasionally and sometimes even the game just froze for a few seconds.

This started happening right after a followed a fps increase guide in which one of the steps where to disable Superfetch.

I returned to the video to revert the steps since I noticed that these fps drops and freezes started occurring after I followed instructions in said video.

Question: I searched windows for "Services" and then started looking for Superfetch and noticed that I do not even have Superfetch, it just doesn't exist in my services at all. Is it hidden? Does it not exist? How can I make it visible/regain the superfetch
    service?

TomerLahav, Jul 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Question about Superfetch Service - Similar Threads - Question Superfetch Service

2. Monitor arm question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor arm question: Hi everyone, I had a question about compatibility with the following Monitor arm with my two monitors, I see the arm has support for 75x75 and 100x100 which my monitors are that size separately. I have the one ultra wide monitor and wasn't sure if that would clear it with the...
  3. Monitor arm question

in Windows 10 Support
    Monitor arm question: Hi everyone, I had a question about compatibility with the following Monitor arm with my two monitors, I see the arm has support for 75x75 and 100x100 which my monitors are that size separately. I have the one ultra wide monitor and wasn't sure if that would clear it with the...
  4. Question regarding Surface Pro 4 and Windows 10 B: 1803

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question regarding Surface Pro 4 and Windows 10 B: 1803: I have 3 Surface Pro 4's running Windows 10 1803 build, all three are experiencing the same issue and once we downloaded the 1803 build on them the Quick Access stopped working. There is no error it acts as if it normally would upon pinning something to it minus the fact of...
  5. I have a 2tb Hard Drive to replace 1tb (install question) Win10x64

in Windows 10 Support
    I have a 2tb Hard Drive to replace 1tb (install question) Win10x64: OLD HD 1 TB with 800 GB on it 5 yrs old making grindy/clicky sounds for 6 mo still work (in now) NEW Western Digital 2 TB will be boot disk slot "C:" I know how to open a case, remove the old and install new (2TB). I am open to spending more money if needed (I can also have...
  6. Vintage: Acer Aspire One 722 {Ram Questions}

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Vintage: Acer Aspire One 722 {Ram Questions}: Yeah she's a vintage one, anyway I love her...well the PC that is. Compact and so versatile. She was made to run windows 7 not 10, with Win10 on; memory is a premium. My problem after looking for the real thing taking up my Ram, I found windows defender to be the cause. So...
  7. Microsoft's Virtual Agent does not allow type in question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft's Virtual Agent does not allow type in question: w 10 pro Chrome any help appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/microsofts-virtual-agent-does-not-allow-type-in/fb791933-9e04-4ce1-907a-17d5a03a4295
  8. Thank you SarahKong for answering my question!!!!

in Windows 10 Customization
    Thank you SarahKong for answering my question!!!!: Thank you SarahKong for answering my question!!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/thank-you-sarahkong-for-answering-my-question/1313c0c5-d898-404b-b1bd-32fe53950766
  9. Xbox One question - what if external HD fails

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Xbox One question - what if external HD fails: Hypothetical question. I have an Xbox One with meagre 500 gb internal HD. So over time I have added a couple of external drives to store games on. I just wondered, should one of these fail at any point what happens? Obviously I would replace the affected drive with a new one....
  10. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...