Windows 10: Question about Superfetch Service

Discus and support Question about Superfetch Service in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi. My Desktop is an HP Windows 10 Home with Intel i5 7th gen processor and 12GB Ram. A while back I found that Superfetch caused 100% Disk usage which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mcd73165, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Mcd73165 Win User

Question about Superfetch Service

Hi. My Desktop is an HP Windows 10 Home with Intel i5 7th gen processor and 12GB Ram. A while back I found that Superfetch caused 100% Disk usage which slowed down the computer to a crawl. After doing some research on this issue I decided to Disable the service. Today I did some more research on Superfetch/Prefetch and found this:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...iles-in-vista/
    So I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
    Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters and changed the EnablePrefetcher value to 2. Then I deleted the contents of the Prefetch Folder(except for Ready Boot) and restarted the computer. Then I opened a few programs and checked the Prefetch Folder and noticed the programs that I opened are being shown in the Prefetch Folder. By changing that registry entry to 2 it is only supposed to prefetch the boot folders. So basically my question is will this only work on Windows Vista or should it also work on Windows 10. Thanks in advance for any replies.

:)

Mcd73165, Jul 6, 2018
  2. Romel Ram Win User

Superfetch

Hi Mikey,

We understand that you're trying to disable the Superfetch and other services permanently. You can follow the steps below as your reference:

1. Hold the Windows key, while pressing “R” to bring up the Run dialog box.

2. Type “services.msc“, then press “Enter“.

3. The Services window displays. Find “Superfetch” in the list.

4. Right-click “Superfetch“, then select “Properties“.

5. Select the “Stop” button if you wish to stop the service.

Feel free to post again if you have other concerns.

Romel Ram, Jul 6, 2018
  3. Disable Superfetch permanently

Hi,

Certain programs can be disabled as long as it is on the services list. To isolate the issue, please provide the following information:

• Is Superfetch available on the list of services for your Windows 10 device?
    • Is high CPU usage for Superfetch showing even before?
    • If no, when did the issue start to occur?

Regards.

Arthur Rui, Jul 6, 2018
  4. Question about Superfetch Service

Superfetch does not exist on my computer

Background: Recently while playing different PC games I ran into massive fps drops occasionally and sometimes even the game just froze for a few seconds.

This started happening right after a followed a fps increase guide in which one of the steps where to disable Superfetch.

I returned to the video to revert the steps since I noticed that these fps drops and freezes started occurring after I followed instructions in said video.

Question: I searched windows for "Services" and then started looking for Superfetch and noticed that I do not even have Superfetch, it just doesn't exist in my services at all. Is it hidden? Does it not exist? How can I make it visible/regain the superfetch
    service?

TomerLahav, Jul 6, 2018
Thema:

Question about Superfetch Service

1. Question about Superfetch Service - Similar Threads - Question Superfetch Service

2. Superfetch service is not running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Superfetch service is not running: Superfetch service is not running on server.it give me following error:But on RDP Server is running fine. Is this service relatable to any RDP Service? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-service-is-not-running/87ca5266-d9d9-46b4-9e27-f30292e7970d
  3. Superfetch service is not running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Superfetch service is not running: Superfetch service is not running on server.it give me following error:But on RDP Server is running fine. Is this service relatable to any RDP Service? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/superfetch-service-is-not-running/87ca5266-d9d9-46b4-9e27-f30292e7970d
  4. question about log applications and service

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    question about log applications and service: Hi all i recently checked my logs and found something i have never seen before. I also had a lot of problems with my desktop a while ago and so i want to make sure it's noting to worry about. Because of the writing it looks cryptic but i am not sure and because i can't...
  5. question about log applications and service

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    question about log applications and service: Hi all i recently checked my logs and found something i have never seen before. I also had a lot of problems with my desktop a while ago and so i want to make sure it's noting to worry about. Because of the writing it looks cryptic but i am not sure and because i can't...
  6. no superfetch service at 1809???

in Windows 10 Support
    no superfetch service at 1809???: was looking to disable superfetch but i cant find it in services. any clues? 118718
  7. Window 10 Service Host Superfetch

Window 10 Service Host Superfetch: I thought I had disabled superfetch in the past but after the last windows 10 update, it is appearing again as service host superfetch. When I disabled it thought it was just superfetch (w/o service host). When I click on properties, it is just showing svchost.exe. This...
  8. Superfetch missing in services

Superfetch missing in services: I have deleted the files under readyboost in prefetch. Still not superfetch to be found. No prefetch in the services. Used BATCMD to restart fltmgr - also not in services. Also reset superfetch from Batcmd. Please help! Thanks!...
  9. A question about service updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    A question about service updates: Lately I have been getting pop ups outside of active hours that say something like updates are available do you wish to restart you computer? If I restart my computer and go to windows update it says kb4074588 available and awaiting restart (for example). My question is why...
  10. What about SuperFetch?

in Windows 10 Support
    What about SuperFetch?: Hi! I noticed SuperFetch isn't anymore. They got rid of it? Why? Any info appreciated. Greetings, Joe 82027