Windows 10: Question about transferring Education product key from an old laptop to my current laptop...

Discus and support Question about transferring Education product key from an old laptop to my current laptop... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Throughout college I used Windows 10 Education. When I graduated I was given a new laptop as a gift, with Windows 10 Home installed. I’d like to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Guni23, Mar 13, 2021.

1. /u/Guni23 Win User

Question about transferring Education product key from an old laptop to my current laptop...

Throughout college I used Windows 10 Education. When I graduated I was given a new laptop as a gift, with Windows 10 Home installed.

I’d like to transfer the product key from my old laptop to my current laptop so I can utilize some Education features, but have hesitated for one reason - on my current laptop I’ve only ever used my personal Microsoft account, and I don’t want my old educational Microsoft account to become “linked” to my current laptop. When I say “linked”, I guess I mean having telemetry data and Microsoft app data on my machine permanently linked to that old educational account. If I’m going to have various kinds of data like telemetry data associated with a Microsoft account, I would rather it be associated to my personal account, not my old educational account that’s attached to my university email address.

I try to not sign in to Microsoft as much as possible. It’s just my personal preference. On my old laptop I used a local account and only signed in to certain Office apps and that was the extent of it. On my new laptop, I’ve noticed that it’s becoming harder and harder to not sign in to a Microsoft account. For example, several office apps like Word don’t function properly if you aren’t signed in at all times. This shift has been extremely disconcerting to me, and it’s why I’m hesitant to transfer my Education product key to my current laptop.

TLDR: Essentially I want to use my old product key to get Education features on my current laptop, without having my old educational Microsoft account become permanently linked to my current laptop. I don’t know whether these two things - an Educational license product key and an educational Microsoft account - are inextricably linked or separate from each other. If someone could clarify, I’d feel much better about making the shift.

submitted by /u/Guni23
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Guni23, Mar 13, 2021

2. Transfer Windows 10 Pro product key from old laptop to new laptop

Hi,

I currently have an old laptop that is running Windows 10 Pro and is activated, I would like to no longer use this laptop and transfer this product key (digital license) to my new refurbished laptop that is also running Windows 10 Pro. I have tried to find
    my product key (digital license) but cannot find anywhere. Please advise how I can obtain so I can activate my new (refurbished) laptop.

Thanks

Chris

ChrisBorg23, Mar 13, 2021
  3. Regarding Transfer of Upgrade Product Key

Backstory:

1. I purchased a laptop that came with an OEM version of Windows 10 Home
    2. I purchased a retail Windows 10 Pro product key and upgraded the laptop.
    Question:

1. I have purchased a new laptop with an OEM version of Windows 10 home installed
    2. I would like to transfer the Windows 10 Pro retail product key to the new laptop so I can upgrade the new laptop.
    3. Also, I would like to restore the OEM version of Windows 10 back onto the old laptop.
    4. Is there a way to do this.

southwestcoyote, Mar 13, 2021
  4. Question about transferring Education product key from an old laptop to my current laptop...

Product Key from old laptop

So it seems my new laptops windows isn't genuine. I thought about buying a new copy of windows but then remembered I have this old laptop with its product key still available (but the laptop is demolished), cant I use the product key of the old laptop
    to activate windows on my new laptop?

YasserShkeir, Mar 13, 2021
Thema:

Question about transferring Education product key from an old laptop to my current laptop...

1. Question about transferring Education product key from an old laptop to my current laptop... - Similar Threads - Question transferring Education

2. Transfer Product key from laptop to pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Product key from laptop to pc: Hi i'm a student, with a new pc. My problem is I cant afford a new windows product key. I do however have an old laptop with a copy of windows 10 pro. Could you unlock my windows product key code on that laptop so I can transfer it over to my pc....
  3. Transfer Product key from laptop to pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer Product key from laptop to pc: Hi i'm a student, with a new pc. My problem is I cant afford a new windows product key. I do however have an old laptop with a copy of windows 10 pro. Could you unlock my windows product key code on that laptop so I can transfer it over to my pc....
  4. Transfer Product key from laptop to pc

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Transferring A Old Windows Vista Laptop Product Key to another Windows 10 Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transferring A Old Windows Vista Laptop Product Key to another Windows 10 Laptop: HiI had a Old HP pavilion dv5 1215ee, Now its died about 2years. Now I want to activate another Windows 10 laptop with Vista Product Key. So can I Do with that? Also I had died Toshiba satellite c660 with Windows 7 Home Basic OA MEA Product key. Can I activate anyone ?...
  6. Transferring A Old Windows Vista Laptop Product Key to another Windows 10 Laptop

Transferring A Old Windows Vista Laptop Product Key to another Windows 10 Laptop: HiI had a Old HP pavilion dv5 1215ee, Now its died about 2years. Now I want to activate another Windows 10 laptop with Vista Product Key. So can I Do with that? Also I had died Toshiba satellite c660 with Windows 7 Home Basic OA MEA Product key. Can I activate anyone ?...
  7. Question about a product key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about a product key: So this random guy that I have never met before but have spoken to a small handful of times randomly gave me a Windows 10 Pro key as well as Enterprise for as he put it, an early Christmas present . The guy says he works with computers and stuff and cited this as to how he...
  8. About my old product key

About my old product key: i purchased my laptop with original windows 8,due to some reason i have to install windows again ,how can i get my product key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/about-my-old-product-key/858ff08d-2095-4a2e-8599-6d100b98989b
  9. Product Key from old laptop

Product Key from old laptop: So it seems my new laptops windows isn't genuine. I thought about buying a new copy of windows but then remembered I have this old laptop with its product key still available (but the laptop is demolished), cant I use the product key of the old laptop to activate windows on...
  10. Transfer Windows 10 Pro product key from old laptop to new laptop

Transfer Windows 10 Pro product key from old laptop to new laptop: Hi, I currently have an old laptop that is running Windows 10 Pro and is activated, I would like to no longer use this laptop and transfer this product key (digital license) to my new refurbished laptop that is also running Windows 10 Pro. I have tried to find my product...