Windows 10: question about using a boot usb

Discus and support question about using a boot usb in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I recently did a windows update and now the pc wont boot up but just goes into the repair mode. I have tried all options to no avail. I have made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jeffleach, Nov 3, 2015.

1. jeffleach Win User

question about using a boot usb

Hi,
    I recently did a windows update and now the pc wont boot up but just goes into the repair mode. I have tried all options to no avail. I have made a boot usb as I hoped to be able to just boot into windows with that. There seems to be only 2 options . Repair ( which just goes round the same circuit as I have been before. Install ( which will wipe my machine)
    If I press the install button will it indeed do a full install and wipe my data?
    Thanks for any advice.

:)

jeffleach, Nov 3, 2015

2. Questions about using a Boot Disk

• Windows 10 Home 64bit and I presume the latest version.
    • it is installation media created from the Win 10 cation tool.
    • the make/model of laptop is toshiba satalite.
    • Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10.
    • No it actually doesn't reach the login screen, it just reaches a blue screen right before then.

Rowan Lynch, Nov 3, 2015
  3. Questions about using a Boot Disk

Hi Rowen,

If the Win 10 Anniversary Update upgrade was installed and completed successfully then your device will be on version 1607, if the WAU upgrade has not been installed it will most likely then be on version 1511 (released Nov. 2015).

If your physical media was created between Nov. 2015 and Aug. 2nd 2016 it will be version 1511, if it was created after 8/02/16 it will be version 1607. These are basically two different operating systems so it does make a difference.

This info is needed to give you specific advice at this time.

Without a complete model description I am unable to look up specific information on the Toshiba support site for your device.

http://support.toshiba.com/support/family?fname=Satellite

If you have not already try disconnecting the power supply and then removing the battery, then press and hold down the power button for a minute, then reinstall the battery and power supply and turn on the devise, has the behavior changed or is it the same?

During boot are you seeing the Toshiba splash screen appear at all before the blue screen appears?

If the splash screen appears, on the lower left side of the screen will be instructions about which F key to push to boot to the setup options screen. This must be pushed while the splash screen is visible or the command will not take, the splash screen
    usually cycles pretty fast so you may have to reboot a few times to get there.

Are you able to get to the system setup screen?

If so what options are displayed as being available?

Were you experiencing any performance issues with the devise before this happened?

Were any changes made to or software added to the devise just prior to this problem occurring?

There's more than one way to approach this so the more info we have the better we can help you to resolve this problem.

The general info on this topic can be found at this link:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options
    But again, it would be best to have the pertinent info to help you choose the best options to pursue.

-Richard

RichardEiler, Nov 3, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Not sure about the particular USB. You can try downloading the Windows 10 ISO from here and then burn to DVD or delete your USB and use the ISO to create it again. This can be used to install Windows 10, but in first screen there is a link Repair. If you click that, startup repair will start automatically. If unsuccessful you can try the other troubleshooting options available.

spapakons, Nov 3, 2015
Thema:

1. question about using a boot usb - Similar Threads - question using boot

2. Question about secure boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about secure boot.: Can I disable secure boot for some time and enable it again ? As i want to run a portable distro on my machine btw I am on a dell PC. So will disabling and enabling secure boot affect my PC in anyway ? Will it mess up windows ?...
  3. Question about boot order

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about boot order: I have a question about boot order. I have an Optiplex 9020 with Windows 10 21H1 on a 240 gb ssd and a 1 tb hdd for storage. Windows boots just fine but I was looking in bios and noticed that my first boot device is 'hard drive' rather than 'windows boot manager.' Can someone...
  4. A question about a recovery usb drive

A question about a recovery usb drive: Hi, so I am posting this because my computer isn't too new but it is still running 10 smoothly. But since it isnt too new now, it may stop responding, lag, not boot properly, give errors, etc . There are some trojans that overwrite your MBR like it happened in 2016. I may...
  5. Question about Clean Booting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about Clean Booting: Does clean booting delete the files I've created and files I've downloaded? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-clean-booting/44738c96-5a20-4455-b06d-052e4209799f
  6. Question about USB Security Key

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about USB Security Key: Hi, I got a question about the USB Security Key feature. I'm planning to use a USB Security Key to login and logout of my PC. The question is, I have to plug the USB Security Key if I want to log in, what would happen if I plugged it out while still using the PC. Will I...
  7. Question about using Edgeium

in Browsers and Email
    Question about using Edgeium: I've downloaded the Stable version of Edgeium and have to admit, I'm really starting to like it -- unlike the Old Edge. I'd like to consider using it to replace Opera -- as I'm running into problems with that -- but I don't want my browsing tracked and I don't want my...
  8. Question about using the trackpad

in Windows 10 Customization
    Question about using the trackpad: On my windows 10 laptop, when I use the trackpad, sometimes the mouse click does not register. If I click on something, nothing happens. If I then move the mouse using the trackpad, only then does the click register and the action is performed. Is there a way to disable this,...
  9. Question about USB installation drive

Question about USB installation drive: Hi, could Windows have problems if it was installed with a USB bootable drive that was prepared from an external HDD? Let me explain: since I didn't want to uselessly load the PC on which I prepared the installation USB drive I sent it at download to an external HDD. Now, I...
  10. A question about USB drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    A question about USB drives: Hey, Don't know if this a dumb question or not but I'm asking just because I'm curious. Deleted data still stays on a drive, right? At least until it's overwritten by another thing? When I plug a flash drive or even a phone via USB in a PC and delete a file from there, is...