Windows 10: Question about using the same MS Account from an old computer on a new one

Discus and support Question about using the same MS Account from an old computer on a new one in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, I'm feeling more and more like I'll have to get a new laptop soon, and I'm wondering about how using the same MS Account on multiple computers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Molly2925, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Question about using the same MS Account from an old computer on a new one

Hi, I'm feeling more and more like I'll have to get a new laptop soon, and I'm wondering about how using the same MS Account on multiple computers works.

I want to make my account on a new laptop as similar as on my old one as possible, so that I could make transferring my personal files and programs as painless as possible, but there's certain "issues" that this old laptop had suddenly gotten over the years (and I've been unable to fix them no matter what), and I'm worried that syncing settings might cause such issues to be carried over. The issues include

The used memory slowly going up the longer the computer is on

The clock losing the ability to sync with Internet Time (and both the Windows Time and Windows Update services becoming unable to be altered in services.msc)

The touchpad and keyboard becoming non-functional when the laptop wakes up from sleep/hibernation (thus requiring the laptop to disable sleep AND hibernation, which is not very good for it)

Is there any risks with computer issues like these getting "passed along" to a new laptop if I use the same MS Account on a new one? It's not exactly clear what "Other Windows Settings" might get synced...

EDIT: Also, do Windows Media Player playlists get synced? And do all desktop themes get synced, or just the currently active one?

submitted by /u/Molly2925
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Molly2925, Feb 3, 2020

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Feb 3, 2020
  3. Using a MS Account Questions

Hi:

I'm not sure anyone can answer that definitively, as we do not work for MS.
    And it's not clear from your question if you are referring to data telemetry/sharing with MS or to overall computer security from malware, etc.

Either way, much computer security hinges on the end-user as the first and last line of defense, in terms of safe computing practices.

The tutorial I provided in my previous reply lists some of the features -- you can read that list and decide for yourself if they are "advantages" or not, in terms of personal data sharing/vulnerability.

These MS articles may also help:

Microsoft account FAQ
    and
    Microsoft account - security info and security codes

I use only a local account on my Win10. So we'll need to wait for others who use a MS account to weigh in with further advice.

Cheers,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Feb 3, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Question about using the same MS Account from an old computer on a new one

Old user account with Microsoft account reappeared on the computer

Hi Graham,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

It is very unusual that the old profile has reappeared on the computer.

Ideally, the old profile will only reappear if System Restore has been performed on the computer. We would like to if you are aware of any changes made to the computer.

As you have mentioned that your Microsoft account is linked to your old profile, I would suggest you to convert the Microsoft account to a local account by following the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the old account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + I, to open
      Settings.
    3. Click on Accounts and select
      Your info
      from the left pane.
    4. Click on Sign in with a local account instead.
    5. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

After converting the account to a local account, if you wish to delete the account, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Login to the newly created account.
    2. Press Windows Logo key + R, to open
      Run dialog box.
    3. Type control and click on
      OK
    4. Select Large icons from the drop down for
      View by.
    5. Now, click on User Accounts.
    6. Click on Manage another account and select the user account that you want to remove.
    7. Click on Delete the account and select
      Keep Files (if you want to keep the files of the user account) else select Delete
      to remove the account.

After deleting the old user account, to convert the new user account to a Microsoft account, go to
    Settings (Windows Logo key + I) >> Accounts >>
    Your info
    >> click on Sign in with a Microsoft account and follow the on-screen instructions.

I hope the information provided by me is helpful for you.

Let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 3, 2020
Thema:

Question about using the same MS Account from an old computer on a new one

1. Question about using the same MS Account from an old computer on a new one - Similar Threads - Question using same

2. Questions about two laptops using one Microsoft account...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions about two laptops using one Microsoft account...: When we purchased a computer for my son, it asked for us to sign into a Microsoft account. I didn't think he needed one, so I signed into mine. We were surprised when it had the same picture on his desktop that I had on mine, but figured it was just a sync feature since he...
  3. Questions about two laptops using one Microsoft account...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions about two laptops using one Microsoft account...: When we purchased a computer for my son, it asked for us to sign into a Microsoft account. I didn't think he needed one, so I signed into mine. We were surprised when it had the same picture on his desktop that I had on mine, but figured it was just a sync feature since he...
  4. Question of removal of computer in MS account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question of removal of computer in MS account: I have a question, I have read and understand about removal of computer for a two computers in a MS account does not effect the other one is that the same if both computers have same name? When I log into bother computers I only see one computer in MS account...
  5. Question of removal of computer in MS account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question of removal of computer in MS account: I have a question, I have read and understand about removal of computer for a two computers in a MS account does not effect the other one is that the same if both computers have same name? When I log into bother computers I only see one computer in MS account...
  6. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  7. A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about local account. Switching from MS acct to it.: If I go from a MS account login to a local account does it copy over all my settings etc? I am asking as I am moving on the 26th/27th, and I won't have the internet back till the 28th. I've heard that windows 10 requires the net to sign in unless its a local account. Also...
  8. How to get account from old computer to new one?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to get account from old computer to new one?: I have two accts for Windows 10. One I am currently using; the other was on a lap top computer that was severely damage during a fire and all contents lost. I plan to buy a new lap top...how to get the acct from the lost computer to a new new one ***Modified title from:...
  9. Question about One Drive access from two computers

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about One Drive access from two computers: I looked through the Tutorials and could not find this question/setup.... I moved a bunch of files/folders to One Drive from my computer "A". They show up in the windows File Explorer and are easy to access. I want to be able to access these same files/folders from Computer...
  10. Using a MS Account Questions

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Using a MS Account Questions: Currently, I have a Standard User account meaning a NON-Microsoft Account. I am thinking about creating a MS Account just for storing my BitLocker recovery keys, but also, thinking to use it as my main primary account. Two questions relating to this: 1. If in case I...