Windows 10: Question about VM performance and RAM configuration.

Discus and support Question about VM performance and RAM configuration. in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; My laptop has a 4GB RAM module and a 2GB module, so only 4GB can work in dual channel mode. The system usually uses about 3GB, but when I'm running a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by gregyurkon, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Question about VM performance and RAM configuration.

My laptop has a 4GB RAM module and a 2GB module, so only 4GB can work in dual channel mode. The system usually uses about 3GB, but when I'm running a VM, it uses around 5GB. Is it likely that this is why my VM is so sluggish?

(I'm not sure whether this is a RAM question or a virtualization question.)

:)

gregyurkon, Aug 22, 2020
  2. Kari Win User

Question about VM performance and RAM configuration.

You only have 6 GB to work with, so it is only natural that your virtual machines are "sluggish".

Whereas a Linux or Windows XP VM can work quite nicely with just 1 GB virtual RAM, a Windows 7 or later requires much more to really work.

An extract from a Ten Forums tutorial Hyper-V - Optimizing Virtual Machines:

3. Bree Win User

In addition, if your virtual disks are held on an HDD then a VM will be 'sluggish' no matter how much RAM is available. Ideally you need an SSD.

4. Question about VM performance and RAM configuration.

My laptop has a 4GB RAM module and a 2GB module, so only 4GB can work in dual channel mode. The system usually uses about 3GB, but when I'm running a VM, it uses around 5GB. Is it likely that this is why my VM is so sluggish?

(I'm not sure whether this is a RAM question or a virtualization question.)

gregyurkon, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Question about VM performance and RAM configuration. - Similar Threads - Question performance RAM

2. A question about speeding up Windows and RAM modules

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A question about speeding up Windows and RAM modules: Hi thereI would like to speed up an old SLOW Desktop PC with latest version of Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 4GB installed RAM. Please have a look at the 2 screenshots to see the particulars about the PC & RAM.I'm considering using an SSD and doubling the RAM to 8GB, hopefully by...
  3. A question about speeding up Windows and RAM modules

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    A question about speeding up Windows and RAM modules: Hi thereI would like to speed up an old SLOW Desktop PC with latest version of Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, 4GB installed RAM. Please have a look at the 2 screenshots to see the particulars about the PC & RAM.I'm considering using an SSD and doubling the RAM to 8GB, hopefully by...
  4. General questions about configuring laptop for the best performance.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    General questions about configuring laptop for the best performance.: Hi all, I had some questions regarding improvements in my computer, specifically for gaming, even though my laptop is not suited to do so all that much. However, until I can upgrade, which will be quite some time, I was looking to get the absolute best gaming experience I...
  5. Question about RAM.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about RAM.: Hello. Well I am currently using G-skillz 16GSXFB RAM 2 sticks 8g each. I wanted to add 2 more RAM sticks but I am unable to find th F series anyware. Currently I am finding the K series 16GSXKB. Which I think is there newest. But according to the stats they K and F...
  6. 2 Questions about VM's on HYPER-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    2 Questions about VM's on HYPER-V: Hi HYPER-V experts I'm still unclear if this is possible on VM's using HYPER-V. 1) Can the VM still be accessed remotely if there's nobody logged in to the Windows system -- or even if the account currently logged on has the keyboard locked. 2) can the VM be started...
  7. Questions about performing an in place upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions about performing an in place upgrade: The In Place Upgrade method is something Ive been reading up on but haven't tried as yet. Im interested in getting feedback from others who use the in place upgrade method. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html The same...
  8. Question about Privacy and Performance of System

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Question about Privacy and Performance of System: how to stop people from seeing what im doing on line and how to speed up my computer all for free please [Original Title: PLEASE HELP] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/question-about-privacy-and-performance-of-system/f7232860-6d5f-4cc5-a447-7f2b28bdded3
  9. Questions about replacing corrupt Ram & other parts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Questions about replacing corrupt Ram & other parts: Hi guys, After getting random BSOD (SEE THIS THREAD) and spending hours trying to diagnose the issue, I took out one of the two Ballistix memory chips and bingo! My PC booted up instantly without any hitches. Since I'm now only left with 4 GB and the PC is running a tad...
  10. Question about faulty ram

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about faulty ram: My laptop has been freezing randomly lately and I've been trying to find the cause of the freezes. I've ran HP diagnostics a few times and one test came back as: [img] But the all the other times It passed and I also ran memtest last night which showed 0 errors? Can a RAM...